BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
mcv135
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stock 08 E82

Fuel tank ventilation hose -- how to replace?

Hi all, I'm trying to swap out a fuel tank ventillation hose in my 135. This is on the RIGHT SIDE of the car, the fuel tank vent pipe that goes from the region of the filler cap, through a hole in the right rear wheel well, and connects to the right-side fuel-tank cover, underneath the rear passenger seat.

I can provide photos, but I'm talking about part number 13 in the realOEM diagram, here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0619

Has anyone reading this forum had to replace this part before? The hose was chewed by mice that were living inside the wheel well, and I'm getting SES lights (OBD code P0442, BMW code 2A15) because of the leak. It's looking like I may have to lower the fuel tank a bit in order to feed the end of the tube into its destination at the top-right of the fuel tank? It's got to be easier than that, doesn't it?

Thanks all for any advice,

--MCV.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
mcv135
United_States
Rep

Wow, nobody in this forum has ever had to do this job? Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 05:53 AM   #3
mcv135
United_States
Rep

repairing mouse-chewing damage to fuel tank ventillation hose

I discovered no easy way to thread a replacement hose in from the right-rear wheel well into the area at the top of the right-side of the fuel tank, and I wasn't in the mood to drop the fuel tank (i.e., remove undertray, drop driveshaft, empty fuel tank, drop fuel tank, connect vent pipe, then reassemble everything), so I very simply REPAIRED the mouse damage to the vent pipe.

Repairing the vent pipe in the area above the top of the wheel liner was much simpler and has produced good results for me (repair was done 8 June 2019 and I haven't had the trouble return as of 17 August 2021).

The repair was done with layers of electrical and duct-tape, with the electrical tape first. I tightly wound the electrical tape around the chewed portions of the vent-hose, making sure that the electrical tape made its way into the corrugated folds of the vent pipe since we're trying to make an air-tight seal but being careful to not crush the pipe. I applied only one overlapping layer of electrical-tape, making sure to cover all the chewed sections of the pipe.

Since I've had electrical tape un-stick itself in jobs like this before, I put a larger layer of duct-tape over the electrical tape to keep the electrical tape in place. The duct-tape layer extends several inches beyond the electrical tape in both directions.

Since I didn't want the mice to return and chew through all my work, I filled the void above the wheel-well with mouse deterrent -- stretched out chore-boy stainless steel pot scrubbers. I wrapped these around the hose as well. See here:

https://choreboyscrubbers.com/chore-...eel-scrubbers/

I know I can't stop mice from chewing on stuff since that's in their nature, but if I can make it difficult for them to do their chewing, maybe they'll chew something that isn't part of my fuel system. They can chew on the nearby steel suspension links all they want for instance.

I've had lots of mouse trouble and I plan on making a post in the future about my attempts to exclude mice from my 135i as the car appears to be quite ... porous. Mice gain easy access via multiple paths into the car. The rear wheel wells are just one trouble-zone.

Hope this helps someone...
Appreciate 2
dtla1827.50
ch4ch6.50
      08-17-2021, 11:13 PM   #4
WeryPert1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Thank you for the write-up!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 02:58 PM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcv135 View Post
I discovered no easy way to thread a replacement hose in from the right-rear wheel well into the area at the top of the right-side of the fuel tank, and I wasn't in the mood to drop the fuel tank (i.e., remove undertray, drop driveshaft, empty fuel tank, drop fuel tank, connect vent pipe, then reassemble everything), so I very simply REPAIRED the mouse damage to the vent pipe.

Repairing the vent pipe in the area above the top of the wheel liner was much simpler and has produced good results for me (repair was done 8 June 2019 and I haven't had the trouble return as of 17 August 2021).

The repair was done with layers of electrical and duct-tape, with the electrical tape first. I tightly wound the electrical tape around the chewed portions of the vent-hose, making sure that the electrical tape made its way into the corrugated folds of the vent pipe since we're trying to make an air-tight seal but being careful to not crush the pipe. I applied only one overlapping layer of electrical-tape, making sure to cover all the chewed sections of the pipe.

Since I've had electrical tape un-stick itself in jobs like this before, I put a larger layer of duct-tape over the electrical tape to keep the electrical tape in place. The duct-tape layer extends several inches beyond the electrical tape in both directions.

Since I didn't want the mice to return and chew through all my work, I filled the void above the wheel-well with mouse deterrent -- stretched out chore-boy stainless steel pot scrubbers. I wrapped these around the hose as well. See here:

https://choreboyscrubbers.com/chore-...eel-scrubbers/

I know I can't stop mice from chewing on stuff since that's in their nature, but if I can make it difficult for them to do their chewing, maybe they'll chew something that isn't part of my fuel system. They can chew on the nearby steel suspension links all they want for instance.

I've had lots of mouse trouble and I plan on making a post in the future about my attempts to exclude mice from my 135i as the car appears to be quite ... porous. Mice gain easy access via multiple paths into the car. The rear wheel wells are just one trouble-zone.

Hope this helps someone...
You don't have to completely remove the tank. Just loosen the strap and lower it a couple inches and you can feed the hose through to the pump. Also easier if you do it with the tank nearly empty as it is much lighter.
Appreciate 1
mcv1356.50
      08-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #6
mcv135
United_States
Rep

I was pretty sure complete removal of the tank wouldn't be necessary, but I was daunted by the amount of prep-work required to reach the top of the fuel tank. I even bought the replacement vent-hose.

But the mice never stop, so I'll probably need to use the replacement hose at some point!

Thanks for your email, MightyMouseTech! And WeryPert1 -- you're very welcome.

Be safe, everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
XCT
Romania
Rep
Drives: E90 318i M pack

the easy way is to drill 1 or 2 small like 44mm diameter holes in the metal sheet under the rear right passenger seat to access the clips, people have done it for e90, it should be in the same area.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817634#

check the last part of page 1 and second page in the thread, first part is the hard standard way
Appreciate 0