BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #23
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA1 View Post
Robert -- I'm just getting ready to order mine this week when I read your post. Damn! I'm going to give this a try! :w00t:
SCA1, best of luck to you. Keep us informed. :smile:

Performance Center Delivery was awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #24
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Dammit why are all these threads coming up after I already ordered?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #25
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

This approach is hardly rocket science but congratulations on getting a 'good' deal.

For your sake I hope everything runs smoothly and you get your car as planned with no hassles along the way.

In my experience the salespeople who respond to this approach only do so because they aren't good enough to sell on anything but price.

For something as important as a new car, I personally prefer to pay a little more knowing that I'm dealing with someone who is good at what they do.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #26
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
This approach is hardly rocket science but congratulations on getting a 'good' deal.

For your sake I hope everything runs smoothly and you get your car as planned with no hassles along the way.

In my experience the salespeople who respond to this approach only do so because they aren't good enough to sell on anything but price.

For something as important as a new car, I personally prefer to pay a little more knowing that I'm dealing with someone who is good at what they do.
what does it matter? maybe if you are a regular joe and dont knwo anything about the car then sure but we as a collective on this forum know a lot more than than the CA would
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:39 AM   #27
mastermav
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F82

Good job. Did you get your production number and date already?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 04:34 AM   #28
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Who was ur CA if you dont mind me asking? I'm only about 2 hours away from Fayetville and would like to see what kind of deal they could give me. Did u also try Schaeffer BMW in Wilmington, NC?? If so, what kind of response did you get from them?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 05:51 AM   #29
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishBone33 View Post
Who was ur CA if you dont mind me asking? I'm only about 2 hours away from Fayetville and would like to see what kind of deal they could give me. Did u also try Schaeffer BMW in Wilmington, NC?? If so, what kind of response did you get from them?
WishBone,

I was dealing with Jeff Cole from Valley Auto World in Fayetteville. He was very helpful and wasn't afraid to say, "I don't know the answer right now, but will find out." Which he did.

As for Schaeffer BMW, yes, I did send my offer to them as well and I'm not really sure if they were going to accept the offer as proposed or not. Below is the response I got from Gary Morgan:
Quote:
Robert,good friday am,Schaeffer BMW is in receipt of your request to special order a BMW 135 coupe,we currently have one unsold production number available to be specified for someone to order,upon receipt of the deposit we will build that unit,as soon as we modify that order number we can then print out msrp as well as true invoice from BMWNA,we look forward to your forth coming order.Thank you Gary Morgan,Schaeffer BMW,800-473-2995.
I never followed up with them other than to thank them for their reply and to let them know that another dealership had already accepted my offer.

-robert

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 05:53 AM   #30
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Did you finance through them or did u finance through your own bank?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #31
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermav View Post
Good job. Did you get your production number and date already?
Thanks. No production number yet. Just signed the paperwork Saturday morning. CA said he'd get the order in right away. Should get prod# this next week.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #32
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Did you finance through them or did u finance through your own bank?
Through USAA (own bank). BMW was willing to offer great financing rates on the 3 series, but not on the 1er.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #33
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Did they give u an estimate of how long it would take until you get your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #34
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Exactly. That was the whole point of starting this thread. This approach was easy and stress free.

My father absolutely loves negotiating with people. He has always gotten great deals on the cars he buys. But it's always such a long process involving actually being at the dealership for hours, offers, counter-offers, waiting for the salesman to talk to his boss, perhaps some heated words from one party or the other, walking out, letting the dealer sweat it, waiting for them to call back, being very patient because sometimes the deal takes a week or two.

No thanks. Not for me. This was an easy, fast method which left me relaxed and quite happy with the deal I was able to broker.

-robert

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #35
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Did they give u an estimate of how long it would take until you get your car?
He seemed to think about 8 weeks. But reading the production process which is stickied at the top of this forum, I know that a lot of that will depend on how long the car has to wait for shipping.

-robert

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 06:20 AM   #36
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

I'm sorry to bother you with all my questions but since it seems that many people are having to pay MSRP and being denied any types of deals (besides the "free" floor matts), i'm very interested in how you were able to obtain this type of a deal.

I test drove the 135i at Schaeffer BMW in wilmington and the CA I met there was great. He was a really nice guy and he really let me drive the 135i the way it was ment to be driven. I'm sold on this to be my next car but now its a matter of which dealer can offer me the best deal.

Could you tell me who the CA that responded to your fax was at Schaeffer??
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #37
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I'm sorry to bother you with all my questions but since it seems that many people are having to pay MSRP and being denied any types of deals (besides the "free" floor matts), i'm very interested in how you were able to obtain this type of a deal.

I test drove the 135i at Schaeffer BMW in wilmington and the CA I met there was great. He was a really nice guy and he really let me drive the 135i the way it was ment to be driven. I'm sold on this to be my next car but now its a matter of which dealer can offer me the best deal.

Could you tell me who the CA that responded to your fax was at Schaeffer??
WishBone,

It's no bother whatsoever. I think we're all interested in saving money. Gary Morgan is who emailed me back, but if you'll read his response above, it doesn't really say if they will place the order at my specified price, or if they are just willing to order and will discuss price later.

At any rate, best of luck.

-robert

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #38
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
Are there any benefits from buying the car from the same local dealership that will service the car? I always thought they might be more helpful down the road if I bought the car from them.
Crazy,

My local dealer, who wouldn't even consider my offer, said that the benefits to me for buying at MSRP from them were multiple 1) I'd get quality service 2) I'd have a loaner vehicle when mine came in for service and 3) a contact to assist me should the need arise.

My wife and I have owned four BMWs over the past few years, none of which were purchased from my local dealership. However, all have been serviced from my local dealership. Each time I've received good service and have never had a problem getting a contact to assist me when needed. As for the loaner, sometimes I get one, sometimes I don't. But we're a two car family so not that big a deal. Alternatively, with the money I saved on this deal, I could just get a rental and still come out ahead.

Just my two cents,

-robert

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #39
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
My local dealer, who wouldn't even consider my offer... .
I really should specify that I have two local dealers, Tom Bush Regency and Tom Bush Orange Park. Obviously part of the same family.

Regency told me that I was making an unreasonable offer and would not consider anything below MSRP since they were able to pre-sell most cars at sticker price. However, Orange Park immediately counter-offered $1500 off MSRP. Not too shabby, just not the deal I was trying to make.

My point is, if you are around the Jax, FL region, I'd recommend dealing with Tom Bush Orange Park.

-robert

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #40
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:

This is totally incorrect. It is simple mathematics, not unlike the Publisher's Clearing House phenomenon: A dealer quietly pushes through another unit at less profit rather than not getting a sale at all, which increases his leverage with the mothership via more cars sold. It's not unlike negotiating mortgages with banks at the end of the month when they're needing to meet their quotas, and offer lower rates.

It is, however, predicated on the general public not knowing about this trick though, so this thread will actually close the loophole if it becomes too well known.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #41
Irish Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I live in jax as well, and absolutely hate our local dealers (Orange Park is okay) but the Regency one is horrible... The last three cars I've purchased I traveled to buy because they weren't willing to move on the price... Orange Park was a little better but still couldn't make it happen. I had to travel all the way to Miami to get my M coupe (one to get the deal I want, and two because I had to have AW).

If you don't mind, which dealer did you end up getting it from? It's such a shame that we don't have better local dealers - the fact that they say they won't give us a loaner if we don't buy from them is complete bull....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #42
papagn78
Registered
Rep
Drives: 02

Congrats on the great deal. What is the advantage to faxing offers, as opposed to just e-mailing them to multiple dealers. I would think sending e-mail's would be an easier process. That is how I was able to get a great deal on my last two car purchases. Just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #43
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

confirmation of hard copy receipt perhaps?
at work, when I really want to make sure that someone gets something, I fax it and print a report.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #44
robert.payne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
confirmation of hard copy receipt perhaps?
at work, when I really want to make sure that someone gets something, I fax it and print a report.
Yeah, what he said. Many of the dealers would hand write their counter offer on my fax then send it back to me. Now I have hard-copy in their hand writing so there is no room for dispute.

-robert

Appreciate 0