BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

Focal IFBMW-Sub install?

So, I wanted to improve the sound in my 135i Vert without going crazy and compromising space in the trunk. I found Focal makes a replacement set of 8" subs that replace the existing subs under the seats in the 1 series. This is a plug and play replacement and mates right up to the space under the seats and uses the wiring plugs already in the BMW and can be powered by the existing BMW system however, I've decided to go with the Focal FD 1.350 amp. Has anyone had experience with the Focal IFBMW SUBS? Can I expect to hear a difference in the sound? Having the install done by World Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville PA. Again, not looking for anything crazy, I like the idea of leaving the car looking stock.

http://www.focal.com/en/plug-play/43...052750539.html

Last edited by PhillyfaanM3; 12-09-2014 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
sparky_phantom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I am curious on this too. I have been wanting to upgrade the subs or to add an external sub in truck.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
wht125i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: e82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
So, I wanted to improve the sound in my 135i Vert without going crazy and compromising space in the trunk. I found Focal makes a replacement set of 8" subs that replace the existing subs under the seats in the 1 series. This is a plug and play replacement and mates right up to the space under the seats and uses the wiring plugs already in the BMW and can be powered by the existing BMW system however, I've decided to go with the Focal FD 1.350 amp. Has anyone had experience with the Focal IFBMW SUBS? Can I expect to hear a difference in the sound? Having the install done by World Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville PA. Again, not looking for anything crazy, I like the idea of leaving the car looking stock.

http://www.focal.com/en/plug-play/43...052750539.html
I recently did the rear shelf and speakers in the door cards of my coupe, that was enough for me. It improved the treble and mid bass significantly. Unless you're looking for a bass upgrade, I'd do the sub last / if at all. Alpine also have a retro fit kit, although this is much harder to do because it requires coding.
      12-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks wht125i. I am looking primarily for a bass upgrade as in the convertible it seems to be lacking and muffled. I'm not looking for anything crazy as I mentioned that I'd like to retain the stock appearance and not compromise any trunk space. I may opt to replace the other speakers at a later time. The install is scheduled for Jan 2, so I'll hopefully be able to provide some initial impressions. However, I probably won't really get to test it out until spring with the top down as winter here sucks and I tend to garage the the 1 series and drive an SUV in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Not sure if this is helpful but good review here:

http://www.goodsound.com/index.php/f...dio-with-focal
      12-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the review. I actually found it yesterday and thought it was a pretty good read. I think it might actually be the only review I was able to find related to our cars. I'm hoping not to have any of the issues he described as the install is being handled by a reputable shop and they will be setting up the sound.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
halfhalo
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E88 135i

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Which audio system do you have? It makes a difference.

If you have the base (no door tweeter, since its a 2011 this is the most likely one) system, then I wouldn't do the focal upgrade. Instead, I would do a general audio overhaul for roughly the same money. Something like a PP82DSP + MB Quart would give you much better results. More power to everything, better speakers, and better underseats.

Hifi (tweeters in the doors) I still wouldn't go focals, but thats just because the stock hifi speakers do like additional power that something like an XD600/6 provides.

For reference, my system is Hifi with the stock oem amp replaced with a XD600/6 and a Helix DSP. Currently deciding between Match speakers/underseats and the MB Quart set. My goal is also for the system to be completely plug-and-play, ie easily removable without any changes to the existing cars wiring setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the review. I actually found it yesterday and thought it was a pretty good read. I think it might actually be the only review I was able to find related to our cars. I'm hoping not to have any of the issues he described as the install is being handled by a reputable shop and they will be setting up the sound.
Do you have Logic-7? Are you purchasing a separate amp?
      12-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't have logic 7 but do have the tweeter in the corners of the door sill. I am purchasing a seperate amp (Focal FD 1.350).

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete

Last edited by PhillyfaanM3; 12-10-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't have logic 7 but do have the tweeter in the corners of the door sill. I am purchasing a seperate amp (Focal FD 1.350).
Gotcha, sorry I missed that. Also please let us know if these drop in perfectly or if you need to use any kind of spacer.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 12-10-2014 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
halfhalo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
That amp is just a single channel. I wouldn't suggest it for running the underseats.

If you do have hifi, I would suggest getting an XD600/6 as an amp. The underseats respond noticeably better with the extra power it can provide. It fits like a glove where the oem amp goes, and with a Technic harness its as plug-and-play as you can get. I installed mine myself in around an hour.

Pairing the focals with them would provide a much better experience, but if all you are looking for is a little more oopmh, just the amp might be enough. It certainly made a difference in my 'vert.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

From what I was told, they are plug and play drop ins. I'm having a local shop do the install.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #13
halfhalo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Heres the thing: I am 99.9999% certain that all 2011 1 series either got the base stereo system or the L7/HK/Premium/Top-Hifi system in the US, same as the e9x cars.

You say you have tweeters, which means that you either do have the L7/Top Hifi system which would have its own unique installation issues (L7 Amp is connected via fiber-optics to the HU), or the tweeter sails were added some time in the past (was there a previous owner?)

It might be worth it to check exactly what your car was built with using http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html. Plug in the last 7 digits of your vin and it spits out everything built on the car.
As an example, my vin spits out this:

S676A
HiFi Lautsprechersystem HiFi speaker system
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

halfhalo...thanks for the VIN checker. Apparently I have the Hi-Fi (8 Spkr) system. I'm getting the Focal system installed at a reputable Hi-Fi house & they've spoken to Focal & verified the Amp is what is recommended to work with the Subs. Is there something I should be asking them? Again I'm not looking for any crazy loud sound...just want the bass to be tighter, cleaner & a little punchier without compromising the stock look & feel. Your inputs appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
halfhalo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
halfhalo...thanks for the VIN checker. Apparently I have the Hi-Fi (8 Spkr) system. I'm getting the Focal system installed at a reputable Hi-Fi house & they've spoken to Focal & verified the Amp is what is recommended to work with the Subs. Is there something I should be asking them? Again I'm not looking for any crazy loud sound...just want the bass to be tighter, cleaner & a little punchier without compromising the stock look & feel. Your inputs appreciated.
I was about to respond saying that I was infact wrong... apparently E88 and E93's are special and kept the hifi speakers as the base.

I see a couple of potential issues with your current plan of mono amping the underseats only.

First, the underseats are not really sub's. They are more midbass's, playing up higher than a subwoofer normally does. Running them off of a single mono amp affects songs more than you would think. I accidentally set my underseats to both play the same signal and everything just sounded.. weird. Basically, you need to amp each underseat separately.

I'm also actually concerned about the shop doing the install. It seems like they are only wanting to amp the underseats, which concerns me for a few reasons, mainly because our audio systems can be a bit... special.

First, where are they going to get the source signal?
Getting it from behind the HU would be possible, but that would mean hacking up the existing wiring (which should be a dealbreaker. There is NO reason to cut any existing wires on the car for 99% of installs), or having a custom connector sit between the HU/Nav and the car splitting out the two signals. However, those signals then have to be run to the trunk.
Another option might be to source the signal at the underseats themselves, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having them be plug-and-play. Plus, wires still have to be run to the trunk to the amp as well.
A third option would be to source the signal at the oem amp, but that means either getting a custom harness or again hacking up the car wiring.

Thats just getting the source signal. Lets assume for the moment that the shop gets it to the trunk and to the amp without hacking the cars wiring up. How are they going to get the amped signal back to the underseats?
They can certainly run wires from the amp to the underseats, but again that defeats the purpose of the underseats having oem connectors.
The other option is to inject it into the oem amp connector, but again that means hacked up wiring or a custom harness.

It might not be for you, but any hacking of existing wiring is a dealbreaker. There is no going back from it, and there is no need unless you are doing something crazy.

With all that said, this is what I would do in your shoes. In fact, I did:

Replace the oem amp with a XD600/6 and Technic harness.
Thats going from 25W@2ohm for the doors and 40W@2ohm from the stock amp to 75W@4ohm or 90W@2ohm on each channel from the XD600/6.
That power increase really brings the underseats to life. That in itself might be exactly what you are looking for.

I keep on saying the XD600/6 and Technic Harness for a couple of reasons. The main one is the XD600/6 fits where the stock amp lives like a glove. Mine is held down by velcro, so whenever I go to sell the car I can just pull it up, bolt the stock amp+hanger in place, and be on my way.

The Technic harness is a custom made harness made by a forum member here named, yup, Technic. It takes the oem amp connector and splits it into everything the amp (or any 6ch balanced amp) needs, IE RCA source signals from the HU, remote on, and speaker line out. Mine also came with a power connector that slotted into an open slot in the distribution block on top of the battery using an oem connector. A ground cable was also provided and that is run to the oem ground near the amp.

If you do go the XD600/6 route, which I strongly suggest you do, I would install it yourself. Its easier than you think. No, even easier than that. Can you use a screwdriver? Then you are overqualified to install the amp. It _might_ take 30 minutes to install, including coffee and newspaper breaks, and the majority of that is unbolting the driver side piston connected to the top flap, followed closely by placing the velcro down to hold the amp securely in place.

TL,DR: Mono amping the underseats is a bad. Cutting up the car is bad. Only amping underseats is bad. Amping everything with a harness is good. Taking 30 minutes and doing it yourself with a harness vs paying a shop labor is even better. Underseats that have come alive even betterer. Laying down a strong foundation for any possible future mods (like, say, focal underseats) priceless.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #16
halfhalo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Attached is a pic of my xd600/6 with harness attached that I came across looking for another. White connector gets attached to the oem connector, the brown cable is for ground, and the blue/red is power with a built in fuse. You can't see the oem dist connector in the picture, however.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #17
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

halfhalo,
Thanks for the additional information. I'll make sure to share this with the install shop. I would assume that the install shop would be aware of the complexity of our cars as they're a reputable high end home and car audio business in my area. I'll let you know what the shop comes back with.
Thanks

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #18
halfhalo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
halfhalo,
Thanks for the additional information. I'll make sure to share this with the install shop. I would assume that the install shop would be aware of the complexity of our cars as they're a reputable high end home and car audio business in my area. I'll let you know what the shop comes back with.
Thanks
You might be interested to read these:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...9#post17067189
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...95&postcount=5

First one is someone who just installed the focals and came away unimpressed (in a 3 series, but the audio systems are nearly identical, so the results would be applicable), and the second is from Technic whom probably has the most experience with these cars.

Assuming the shop is as good as you say they are, the fact that they are wanting to mono-amp the underseats tells me they are not really familiar with these cars, and just assumed the underseat 8" woofers were pure subs. If they didn't know the underseats were midbass, then do they know how everything connects together?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #19
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks again. I've provided the info to the install shop. They're going to reach out to Focal to get them addressed.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
halfhalo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
I'm interested in what Focal says, since If I was a betting man I would say yours could very well be the first 1 series with these subs in them, since they are so expensive and they only came out in November.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 06:10 AM   #21
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah It's been pretty difficult finding much info on these subs with our cars. I just assumed since Focal said it was plug & play it would be the cleanest & simplest install leaving me w a stock look & improved sound. We'll see what they say.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #22
halfhalo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah It's been pretty difficult finding much info on these subs with our cars. I just assumed since Focal said it was plug & play it would be the cleanest & simplest install leaving me w a stock look & improved sound. We'll see what they say.
The cleanest/simplest/cheapest/most proven install is still going to be the XD600/6 + harness. Simple, easy to install, known gain/HP/LP settings, and it fits in OEM location.

I did a little more digging into the focal spec sheets, and I now do believe they were meant to be drop in replacements... but for L7 systems, not HiFi.
The L7 underseats are rated at 70W@4ohm (at least, the amp is), while the focals are 90W@4ohm. The Hifi amp, on the other hand, spits out a measly 40W@2ohm. I don't know how much power the Hifi amp will provide, but its going to be lower than 40W (maybe 20?).

Nowhere in the literature for the focals did they recommend a separate amp for them, which also leads me to believe they are L7 drop ins.
Appreciate 0