BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
BlackE88N54
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Premature clutch failure advice

My son's 2008 135i burned up the clutch with 58K miles. We just replaced it and haven't started it up yet. There is quite a bit of oil coming off the oil pan but I found the valve cover and oil filter housing leaking, not certain it wasn't coming down from the top of the engine. We replaced both of those gaskets and now I'm considering replacing the oil pan gasket.
Has anyone heard of an oil leak resulting in clutch failure on the N54? I replaced the rear main seal while I had the clutch out but it didn't look like it was leaking. I don't want to drop the sub frame but I don't want to oil down the new clutch, any advice?
I initially thought his driving was more than likely the cause of the failure, but I'm not certain that was the case anymore, the clutch plate was down to the rivets and the fly wheel was ruined.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Well, absolutely a leaking rear seal can foul a clutch, but you already know that. I'm guessing you think it's coming from somewhere else. If the clutch was that worn, I would guess someone's been doing some very hard launches with a lot of slippage. I don't think a slight leak in your oil pan would ruin your new clutch, but if it's bad enough, you'll need to tend to it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 10:14 PM   #3
BlackE88N54
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Yeah thanks, I would rather not do the oil pan gasket, especially if it isn't leaking. I can't tell wether the oil is coming from the valve cover/oil filter housing leaks or if it's the oil pan as well. I would rather do it now than later, already have the car somewhat disassembled. I haven't found a lot of good information on the oil pan gasket replacement for the 135i, many videos on the 335i but only one that I've found on the 135i and it's not very good. I'm a little intimidated to try it but I have everything I need to start. Might dive in tomorrow and hope it goes well.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #4
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

I understand the feeling. We just replaced the clutch on my son-in-law's Civic last weekend and that required removing the front subframe and all but one of the engine mounts. I would set aside at least two days for your project. It's better if you have the right tools. When I do my oil pan gasket, I'm going to get the Schwaben engine support that spans the engine bay and not the shitty 2X4s and ratchet straps we used on his Civic.
Appreciate 1
b1aze565.50