BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 135i

They drilled holes in my bumper, I'm pissed!

Thanks to this forum, I was aware that in order to attach a front license plate, it requires drilling holes in the front bumper. This is why I talked to my CA about it after my order, and she confirmed she would let their service dept know not to attach my plate.

A week ago the car was at the prep center, so I called again to confirm that they would not be attaching the front license plate.

The car arrived at the dealership on Monday, but I wasn't able to schedule pickup until this weekend as work has been crazy. I just got a call from their sales manager saying that they were not able to catch it in time, and the service guys attached the license to the front bumper. Needless to say, I'm a bit livid.

To provide a little back story, I was already a little disappointed about them tacking on a doc fee and dealer inventory tax (required by the dealer in the state of TX which most dealers pass on to the purchaser, and IS a discretionary fee), after we had agreed to invoice + 800 + TT&L. Even though I was a little annoyed, I decided not to argue the point for $130 as I was just excited to get the car and didn't feel like raising hell; causing a possible unpleasant purchase experience if they relented in the end, or me winding up not getting the car if they didn't.

Now this happens....so I asked the manager if there was anything else they could do, and he offered to have the holes filled in by their body shop and repainted. I am NOT keen on having a BRAND NEW CAR repainted, so I replied I'd like them to replace the entire bumper. The response was, "Well that would be too expensive." In my head I'm thinking, well you shouldn't have drilled holes in the bumper then!!!!

This car is a special order since I couldn't find any manuals with the options I wanted. I haven't decided yet what course of action I'm going to pursue, and I'm curious how you all see the situation. Any thoughts you care to share would be appreciated.

Last edited by TSiggs; 04-22-2009 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
googoomas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 155mph (Stupid Limiter)

I hate this, they did it to my car too... I would go after the dealership.....

2016 MBM f30 320i - Gone
2015 BSM/Black f15 X5 xDrive50i M-Sport - Current
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by googoomas View Post
I hate this, they did it to my car too... I would go after the dealership.....
So how did it get resolved?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Alec693
BMWholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT AWD

Garage List
Yeah, let us know what the conclusion is.

It's funny how they even had the audacity to tell you that it would be to expensive, they shouldn't even charge you. You requested to not have the holes drilled and they did it, what kind of service is that lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec693 View Post
Yeah, let us know what the conclusion is.

It's funny how they even had the audacity to tell you that it would be to expensive, they shouldn't even charge you. You requested to not have the holes drilled and they did it, what kind of service is that lol.
I failed to mention that before I asked what else they could do to make it right, he proactively stated, "I know this seems paltry, but we could give you the floor mats for free." Paltry indeed considering what a new bumper would cost I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
HachiNi
my other car is a hachiroku
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i AW

did you sign a waiver for the dealer to NOT drill your bumper.
I did and my car came with no drills.
I hate to say this but it sounds like whoever was selling you the car and helping you order it doesnt care. So I would just take my business somewhere else
      04-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiNi View Post
did you sign a waiver for the dealer to NOT drill your bumper.
I did and my car came with no drills.
I hate to say this but it sounds like whoever was selling you the car and helping you order it doesnt care. So I would just take my business somewhere else
I wasn't asked to sign a waiver. Front plates are required in Texas, and when the sales manager mentioned this to me, I stated that I hadn't had one on the last three cars I've owned and have had no issues. He stated, "Yah, we've had other people not want the plates either."

So, it's not in writing, but I did have two verbal agreements with my CA prior to the car arriving.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Did you mean invoice + $800? Because if you are paying over MSRP there is something really wrong and you should run, not walk, away from this deal now.

What dealer are you working with? At Classic BMW in Plano they threw in my floor mats for free. Of course I also paid sticker and this was shortly after the release.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
Did you mean invoice + $800? Because if you are paying over MSRP there is something really wrong and you should run, not walk, away from this deal now.

What dealer are you working with? At Classic BMW in Plano they threw in my floor mats for free. Of course I also paid sticker and this was shortly after the release.
Yes, invoice + 800. Whoops, fixed!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
bumper plugs. have them get you some touch up paint for free then go to homedepot and buy some 98 cent screw plugs, paint and install. done.
      04-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
bumper plugs. have them get you some touch up paint for free then go to homedepot and buy some 98 cent screw plugs, paint and install. done.

While that is certainly an option, it doesn't negate the fact that they screwed up (no pun intended).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
N54tt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BLUE on BLACK

i put in the PSA not to drill my bumper and they ended up drilling it for a plate.. i sent it back and they fixed it for free...
      04-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
I think there's a point (at least for me) where it's not even worth the headache of trying to prove that they're wrong (which they are). They are offering to REPAIR the mistake, which is a fair resolution, and then offering to throw in some free mats. I would go after them for more than just the mats (say, a car cover) or something worth a bit more. But having them replace the bumper is a bit excessive and let's face it, you're only asking for it because of the emotional distress you're feeling as opposed to any real practicalities. Your bumper will look great filled in and repainted, it'll look brand new.

Imagine breaking your ankle running in a cheap pair of Nikes, and then having it heal normally. You don't feel any more pain, nor can anyone see that you broke your ankle. It's virtually inexistant, but you're going to go after Nike for a brand new ankle, or money, or whatever (okay, so the metaphor falls apart at this point). I think you get my drift.

If you believe that they did not do it maliciously or on purpose, I would say get some form of restitution and be done with it. Just my 2 cents. Hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction in the end.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #14
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
I think there's a point (at least for me) where it's not even worth the headache of trying to prove that they're wrong (which they are). They are offering to REPAIR the mistake, which is a fair resolution, and then offering to throw in some free mats. I would go after them for more than just the mats (say, a car cover) or something worth a bit more. But having them replace the bumper is a bit excessive and let's face it, you're only asking for it because of the emotional distress you're feeling as opposed to any real practicalities. Your bumper will look great filled in and repainted, it'll look brand new.

Imagine breaking your ankle running in a cheap pair of Nikes, and then having it heal normally. You don't feel any more pain, nor can anyone see that you broke your ankle. It's virtually inexistant, but you're going to go after Nike for a brand new ankle, or money, or whatever (okay, so the metaphor falls apart at this point). I think you get my drift.

If you believe that they did not do it maliciously or on purpose, I would say get some form of restitution and be done with it. Just my 2 cents. Hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction in the end.
Your whole argument is poorly woven as you readily admit. Why don't I come over and drill holes into your 45k car and see if you feel 100% better about it when I offer to pay for the body work. It doesn't matter what their intent was when they drilled the bumper, they said they wouldn't do it and then didn't keep their word. A business's word is still important, isn't it? Think about that.

As far as I'm concerned, the car will never be like it was from the factory. I've had bodywork done to cars many times. More often than not, it never looks 100% the same as it did before regardless of the severity of the damage. At this point, I'd opt for them not to perform any repairs. Instead, I think I'm going to ask them to keep the deal the same and install the BMW Performance Short Shifter to make this right. I'd rather take care of the holes myself with some painted bumper plugs than risk having a shoddy repair.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #15
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiggs View Post
Your whole argument is poorly woven as you readily admit. Why don't I come over and drill holes into your 45k car and see if you feel 100% better about it when I offer to pay for the body work. It doesn't matter what their intent was when they drilled the bumper, they said they wouldn't do it and then didn't keep their word. A business's word is still important, isn't it? Think about that.

As far as I'm concerned, the car will never be like it was from the factory. I've had bodywork done to cars many times. More often than not, it never looks 100% the same as it did before regardless of the severity of the damage. At this point, I'd opt for them not to perform any repairs. Instead, I think I'm going to ask them to keep the deal the same and install the BMW Performance Short Shifter to make this right. I'd rather take care of the holes myself with some painted bumper plugs than risk having a shoddy repair.
No need to get defensive. Like I said, my statements were my opinion. I have never owned a $45k car and will be getting my $35k car in a month and a half, so my opinions may change drastically at that point. Nor do I think you're not entitled to a brand new bumper. All I'm saying is that thinking about the situation realistically as opposed to emotionally or on principle, you'll probably end up NOT getting a brand new bumper, so find some other way of being satisfied, otherwise you're just going to be pissed forever and won't get to enjoy the other 99.9% of your car that's still a virgin

Believe me, I think I would be just as upset as you. All I'm saying is that if you look at alternative solutions rather than focusing on a single solution, you might end up finding a different way of solving the problem altogether, which is in your best interest.

The dealer was a real bastard for not giving a damn about your car (especially since you called to confirm it). But some people are just asses. Don't do business with them ever again and make sure they know it, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 02:45 AM   #16
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

I understand your frustration. Some people think a car is a car...no biggie. Some of us are true 1addicts to a point of insanity. With that said, I would be just as upset as you are. If your willing to wait, I would tell them to order you another car. I think your options are limited: Get another car, go to another dealer (get another car), or live with the dealerships stupid mistake for the life of the car....probably not.
      04-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #17
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
actually, no drilling needed. the plastic license holder 'pops' into the holes behind the bumper cover - 2 seconds and its in/on... i watched it happen in horror myself... as I thought the guy may have not 'leveled' himself and it would be on cockeyed...

now, the dealer could take a stock unit and swap bumper covers....
      04-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #18
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
I was so paranoid about the dealer drilling my bumper I must have sent about 5 emails reminding them. Luckily it worked and they didn't do it. Have to have a front license here but I ordered a sticker.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #19
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
No need to get defensive. Like I said, my statements were my opinion. I have never owned a $45k car and will be getting my $35k car in a month and a half, so my opinions may change drastically at that point. Nor do I think you're not entitled to a brand new bumper. All I'm saying is that thinking about the situation realistically as opposed to emotionally or on principle, you'll probably end up NOT getting a brand new bumper, so find some other way of being satisfied, otherwise you're just going to be pissed forever and won't get to enjoy the other 99.9% of your car that's still a virgin

Believe me, I think I would be just as upset as you. All I'm saying is that if you look at alternative solutions rather than focusing on a single solution, you might end up finding a different way of solving the problem altogether, which is in your best interest.

The dealer was a real bastard for not giving a damn about your car (especially since you called to confirm it). But some people are just asses. Don't do business with them ever again and make sure they know it, that's all.
Thanks for the perspective. I hope this can be resolved amicablly.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #20
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

I would have been pissed also. I think my CA told me they normaly will not mount the plate in the front even though its the law to have on here in TX. I made sure let them know not too.

As far as repainting goes, they scratched my trunk pretty bad installing the CF spoiler and had to repaint it. I didn't lose any sleep over that. It still looked great. Cars are often damaged in shipment and are repainted at the port. You never know if your car was repaired at port or not.
      04-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
BimmerLearner
My car is less than a week old and on its 3rd tank
Rep
Drives: Tiag 135 Vert

Wouldnt it be ironic if you got a ticket for not having the front plate once this gets resolved.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #22
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

BTW.. if you got a new bumper they cmoe in primer and would need to painted at the dealer anyways..
just my .02cents.. but i feel for you anyways
Appreciate 0