urbanstorm
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

1M Limp Mode

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Got the half power available CEL light today. Weird, it was like driving 5 Speed Kia Rio while it was on. Different sound and everything.

The car is completely stock and has 4800kms on it, was full of 91 octane (highest I can get), and was at operating temperature. I had stopped it to run into my work for a minute and came back out and got up to fourth gear shifting at 2.5K.

The light came on and stayed on until I found a safe place to pull over and shut down. I started back up again and it was gone off. (I read that on a thread here). Everything was back to normal.

I'm scheduled for a Trans fluid change and Oil change next week, so I haven't decided if I'm going to tell the dealership, since I don't know if I trust them yet.

Robert
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

u put different gas in than usual?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

u put different gas in than usual?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Not sure I understand why you wouldn't tell dealer, especially as car is stock.

In any case, they'd find a code when they scan the ecu, which is standard procedure when you bring car in for service.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Jay_///Mowner
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanstorm
Got the half power available CEL light today. Weird, it was like driving 5 Speed Kia Rio while it was on. Different sound and everything.

The car is completely stock and has 4800kms on it, was full of 91 octane (highest I can get), and was at operating temperature. I had stopped it to run into my work for a minute and came back out and got up to fourth gear shifting at 2.5K.

The light came on and stayed on until I found a safe place to pull over and shut down. I started back up again and it was gone off. (I read that on a thread here). Everything was back to normal.

I'm scheduled for a Trans fluid change and Oil change next week, so I haven't decided if I'm going to tell the dealership, since I don't know if I trust them yet.

Robert
I'm a BMW tech, here in Aus, and I've seen three 1 M coupes come with this issue, over the past 6 months. All standard and running 98 octane. In all cases found it to log to faults, super knocking and boost pressure cut out. Which can possibly be cased by bad fuel. New knock sensors under warranty have fixed the issue with ever one. Don't see any other major faults with the N54T motor
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_1m View Post
I'm a BMW tech, here in Aus, and I've seen three 1 M coupes come with this issue, over the past 6 months. All standard and running 98 octane. In all cases found it to log to faults, super knocking and boost pressure cut out. Which can possibly be cased by bad fuel. New knock sensors under warranty have fixed the issue with ever one. Don't see any other major faults with the N54T motor
Very interesting James. May be those ones needed a tune .
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Jay_///Mowner
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz
Quote:
Very interesting James. May be those ones needed a tune .
Hahah! Honestly I think you are right sparoz, definitely an issue with software.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
It8ntez
Is this thing on?
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M, LBB M2

Quote:
My car has less than 2K miles on it and I just got it back from the dealer for the battery terminal recall. While I had it in I complained about the CEL light - same as OP. The tech scanned my car and sure enough they replaced my knock sensors under warranty.

NOTE: There was a comment in the test plan that referred to checking the octane aka Fuel Quality of the fuel. The test returned "High" quality which is what I expected.

Good luck...

Last edited by It8ntez; 04-29-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Are these new knock sensors (new part numbers?) or just replacements for faulty ones?

Also, does the dealer actually have an octane tester on site?
      05-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
It8ntez
Is this thing on?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Are these new knock sensors (new part numbers?) or just replacements for faulty ones?

Also, does the dealer actually have an octane tester on site?
The worksheet said my knock sensors were faulty and caused the CEL.

The CEL came on a number of times and it was actually pretty frustrating to pin this down because I got the run around initially.

They have some sort of fuel "quality" test that could be anything. Probably some form of chemical strip akin to a litmus strip used for ph.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
urbanstorm
Private
Canada
Rep

Great information.

I'll be having a service done on Wednesday, provided it doesn't rain.

And the wind stays down, and the stars align...

I don't drive it very much, afraid to get it dirty.

Robert
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
urbanstorm
Private
Canada
Rep

Quick Update,

Went to the dealer for a seasonal oil change and an attempt to get a Trans Fluid change (No LT-5 available).

After doing their diagnostics, they ordered two knock sensors in response to the half engine light.

They gave it back to me with 25 extra kilometers on it and mud smears up the side of the car.

Robert
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanstorm View Post
They gave it back to me with 25 extra kilometers on it and mud smears up the side of the car.

05-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
It8ntez
Is this thing on?
United_States
Rep

Robert -

Hoping this is an end to your CEL as well. For what its worth thats about the mileage that my car had added to it so maybe its part of their test protocol. Test Plan JR0001: Joy Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanstorm View Post
Quick Update,

Went to the dealer for a seasonal oil change and an attempt to get a Trans Fluid change (No LT-5 available).

After doing their diagnostics, they ordered two knock sensors in response to the half engine light.

Robert
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Jay_///Mowner
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanstorm
Quick Update,

Robert
Mate they've got to drive it to confirm the fault is fixed..
Appreciate 0