BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2016, 12:18 AM   #1
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

F1 2016: Hungarian GP - Budapest (July 24)

Fri 22 July – Sun 24 July 2016 MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ

Tyre Allocation for British GP

Fri 22 July – Sun 24 July 2016

Practice 1 Fri 10:00 (Local)| Fri 4:00 AM EST | Fri 1:00 AM PST

Practice 2 Fri 14:00 (Local)| Fri 8:00 AM EST | Fri 5:00 AM PST

Practice 3 Sat 11:00 (Local)| Sat 5:00 AM EST | Sat 2:00 AM PST

Qualifying Sat 14:00 (Local)| Sat 8:00 AM EST | Sat 5:00 AM PST NBCSN

Race Sun 14:00 (Local)| Sun 8:00 AM EST | Sun 5:00 AM PST NBCSN
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Watching FP 2 now !
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

What a chaotic quali session?!

Rosberg is now once again under investigation. This time for not obeying double yellow.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Stewards exonerate Rosberg over yellow flag incident

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/st...cident-801636/
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep

Annoyed that I missed out on the chaos.

I passed out waiting for Q1 to resume after so many red flags... >_<
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 01:43 AM   #6
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep

FP1 / FP2

[IMGhttp://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/XPB_828186_HiRes.jpg][/IMG]

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 02:02 AM   #7
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep

FP3 / Qualy

[IMG][/IMG]

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 04:37 AM   #8
F22_Raptor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

So can Nico hold off Hamilton this time? I think the rain will heavily favor Hamilton.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #9
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Hamilton sux, I hope someone at Mercedes decides to get him the advantage that he deserves.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #10
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep

Looks like normal service has resumed:

1. HAM
2. ROS
3. <INSERT LUCKY DRIVER FROM THE BEST OF THE REST HERE>
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Excellent race, bit harsh on radio rules though with Button, but great result for Hamilton
      07-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #12
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Good result for Hamilton, overall race was a bit boring.

The radio ban really ruined the sport. The FIA doesn't seems to understand what was "driver's aid" or "driver's assistance". In the past, we've heard, brake 50m later, carry more speed, and throttle 20 meters earlier, etc. THOSE ARE DRIVER'S AID!!!

There were some grey area like torque settings etc, those might be considered as Driver's Aid.

But when the driver had a problem, and Engineers cannot give them the know-how to avoid further damage the car. That's F***ED up.

This had gone too far. YES! We love to see drivers race un-aided. But when radio ban went too far, why not just ban all radio? Then the drivers are really "on their own".

back to the race, a missed opportunity for Rosberg. He had pole and if he had a decent start, he would've control the race from start to finish given the nature of Hungaroring. I'm sure he can defend with the same strategy as HAM.
      07-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^x1000
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #14
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
A lot of F1 rules are unnecessary and inconsistent. The problem with some rules such as penalties for not adhering to double-yellow flags is that they're at the discretion of the stewards and race-control and those oafs are hardly ever consistent. Then there are rules like grid penalties for gear box changes -- sometimes this totally ruins an otherwise good race because one of the front runners gets penalized for changing out parts and they have to start from the back. I know this is about cost saving, but then it goes back to the radio ban and how teams can't tell their drivers about parts failures or ways to preserve an engine malfunction -- where is the cost saving in that? Especially when Sergio Perez had his brake failure and the team wasn't allowed to tell him about it, his car was severely damaged. Button's recent radio quarrel is similar. This loops back to driver safety too. Rules are killing F1.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:49 PM   #15
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep

Race

[IMGhttp://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/XPB_829006_HiRes.jpg][/IMG]

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #16
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Uh-Oh, Formula One Is Resorting To Baylor's Old Attendance Tricks

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/uh-oh-...dan-1784223687

Before Baylor’s latest massive athletics scandal, the university’s football team sucked on a different level: they couldn’t win games—at least until RGIII showed up and made them respectable. They couldn’t give tickets away when I went there, so they covered up the unused endzone seating with a giant tarp. Uh, hey, guys—what’s that at the Hungaroring?

Sky Sports’ Ted’s Qualifying Notebook for the Hungarian Grand Prix opened up with a close-up of a curious looking new tarp that appeared to be hiding seats underneath. F1 talking head Ted Kravitz explained:

Quote:
I don’t know why they covered up those seats there. I’m not sure whether they’re some sort of China thing, where they had some seats and they haven’t sold them, so they covered it over with some sort of appetizing.

But anyway, when I remember coming here in the nineties, it was, um—that was all seats there. There are fewer fans.
China, of course, refers to the Shanghai Grand Prix, which has been also been known to cover grandstands with a tarp. To a tarp’s credit, empty seats look bad. However, it’s a big, flowing admission that you couldn’t move a chunk of permanently installed seats. Someone, somewhere has to see enough continued lack of demand to feel as if purchasing a large custom tarp is a good investment.

Is this a distressing sign of the times for F1? Given that races all too often follow the same formula of “Mercedes claims pole, Mercedes wins, Mercedes drivers bicker with each other over something,” it all looks a bit too predictable to casual motorsport fans.

Sure, I care about that eyebrow-raising move Max Verstappen did in front of Kimi Räikkonen, as well as the other interesting mid- and back-field battles. I want to see how the newer guys are doing to see who might be the next dominant force in F1. Many longtime fans do.

But I’ve also adopted the same attitude towards F1 that World Rally Championship fans who are tired of seeing Sébastien Ogier win every rally have. Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton are going to duke it out for the win, but the guy who wins the other race between everybody else who’s not in a super-dominant car—that’s the real battle to pay attention to. There are more cars competing on that level.

Maybe that doesn’t work to the average dude reading the same kinds of headlines week-in and week-out. After all, racing coverage tends to focus on the front-runners at the expense of including battles further down the field. Having two cars on the same team in a de facto class above everyone else isn’t a convincing way to get new fans to tune in.

Predictability doesn’t sell seats. Knowing that you’re going to get annihilated by over thirty points on your home field sure didn’t, and apparently, neither does knowing that a Mercedes is going to win.

I know this tarp, and this tarp is not a good sign.
      07-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #17
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List

07-26-2016, 11:48 PM   #18
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
The sport hasn't changed, this author is either too young to remember history or is ignoring it. Were was the outcry when Ferrari was dominating 2000 to 2004 or when Red Bull was dominating from 2010 to 2014. McLaren dominated with Senna and Prost. Mercedes wins two championships in a row and everyone is up in arms. F1 isn't a spec series, there is no BOP adjustments like sports car racing. It is simple, the team that builds the best car wins the most races. It has had the same formula forever. The sport is cyclical, a different team will eventually emerge with a stronger car. By the sound of it, that may be next season.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #19
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
The sport hasn't changed, this author is either too young to remember history or is ignoring it. Were was the outcry when Ferrari was dominating 2000 to 2004 or when Red Bull was dominating from 2010 to 2014. McLaren dominated with Senna and Prost. Mercedes wins two championships in a row and everyone is up in arms. F1 isn't a spec series, there is no BOP adjustments like sports car racing. It is simple, the team that builds the best car wins the most races. It has had the same formula forever. The sport is cyclical, a different team will eventually emerge with a stronger car. By the sound of it, that may be next season.
Yah, he blamed the low attendance in certain races to Mercedes instead of the real problem. Bernie and FOM.

Hosting a Formula 1 race is now getting expensive to the organizers, which ultimately drives ticket price high. That's why we saw such low attendance in Shanghai and in this case, Hungary. And other locations refuse to host again, e.g. Korea comes in mind.

Many successful tracks like Singapore, Abu Dbahi, and European races. Are either government supported (directly or indirectly via certain government holding companies), or historically supportive from locals with deep roots to motorsport culture (e.g. British GP, Italian, Belgium etc).

In the end, its all down to the expensive hosting fee paid to FOM.
      07-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #20
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Formula 1 votes against Halo in 2017

THANK GOD!!!

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...t-halo-in-2017

Quote:
Device's introduction delayed until 2018 at the earliest; Radio ban eased

Formula 1's strategy group have voted against the introduction of the Halo head protection device for the 2017 season.

But the Halo, designed to give drivers extra cockpit protection, could be introduced for the 2018 campaign after more testing.

It also remains to be seen if the FIA, the sport's governing body, will still try to push for the device to be brought in next year on safety grounds.

The Strategy Group have, though, agreed to lift the unpopular restrictions on radio messages.

The 18 votes of the Strategy Group are split between three parties - the teams, the FIA and the Formula One Management group.

Six teams - Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull, Williams and Force India - hold one vote each, while Bernie Ecclestone casts six on behalf of FOM as does Jean Todt, the FIA president, for the governing body.

Ecclestone is a known opponent to the Halo while Red Bull boss Christian Horner recently described it as "an inelegant solution to the problem it is trying to deal with."

Critics have opposed the introduction of the Halo on grounds of aesthetics and philosophy - F1 has operated as an open-cockpit formula throughout its existence.

Lewis Hamilton was previously a vocal critic of the concept, describing the Halo earlier this year as the "worst-looking mod in F1 history."

But after what the world champion described as "a great briefing" for the drivers at the Hungarian GP, Hamilton said: "They said there is a 17% improvement on life saving. We can't ignore that. It's a safety thing that we all have to accept."

Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel has led calls for the Halo's introduction and said on Thursday: "I don't like the way it looks but nothing justifies death."

Vettel tested the device in practice at Silverstone this month, after which he admitted it had "quite a lot of impact in terms of visibility."

But after trying out the Halo in Mercedes' simulator, Sky F1's Anthony Davidson said: "The central support was a mild distraction in the virtual world at least. I think in reality you will get used to it, just like you get used to a central windscreen wiper being there on a sports car. It is amazing how you adapt and get used to things."
      07-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #21
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

"The Strategy Group have, though, agreed to lift the unpopular restrictions on radio messages."

this cant happen soon enough!!!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #22
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Either a full on closed cockpit or leave it open.

HALO feels like a half-assed effort just to show that they're doing something.
Appreciate 0