BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-02-2019, 03:52 AM   #1
RonnieRobotPants
Someone Else
Australia
Rep
Drives: Highway Sleeper

Several error messages.

Hi all,

Relatively new to BMW and my new 08 e82 135i, I'll give a little back story first. Bought the car at the end of June with 100km on the clock and have since changed the run flats to Michelin Pilot SS. I've changed all the plugs and coils and on the weekend went to MHD Stage 1. The only "real" issue with her is the drivers side window doesn't go up all the way causing a little air leak at ~100kmh+.

About a month ago I got these 4 warnings out of the blue:
DSC failure!
DBC failure!
Flat tyre monitor fail!
Start assistant inactive!

Every now and then they will disappear briefly after start up but will return within 30 seconds though. Just to rub a little salt in the wound, my indicators won't self cancel while these errors are present. I've been doing my best to ignore it for now hoping it would just go away because. I don't believe that these are separate problems but probably (hopefully) one small issue that can be easily and (relatively) cheap to fix without having to take it to the dealer.

Ps - this is my first thread/question so sorry if I've done anything wrong. I have searched but can't seem to find this specifically. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 05:43 AM   #2
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Your indicators probably won't cancel because they are linked to the steering angle sensor which is linked to the DSC system.
If that system is malfunctioning then your indicators won't work properly.

Nothing is ever cheap to fix in this car.

Have you checked the codes using a scan tool?
Is your battery healthy? A dying battery can cause odd behaviour with electrical systems.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
Ross4ze
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrift View Post
Your indicators probably won't cancel because they are linked to the steering angle sensor which is linked to the DSC system.
If that system is malfunctioning then your indicators won't work properly.

Nothing is ever cheap to fix in this car.

Is your battery healthy? A dying battery can cause odd behaviour with electrical systems.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
RonnieRobotPants
Someone Else
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrift View Post
Yeah, I've run a Carly diagnostics and its saying i have 14 errors, all of which cannot be cleared. I can run it again and list them all here if it helps.

And my battery is new and coded as it was on its way out about a month after i got her.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #5
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Kinda sounds like the car sat with a dead battery for a while, week+.

Some of the things you can go through and manually 're-calibrate'.

For the windows try this one first: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224511

If that does not work/help then go to the more sever option: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ulator/OrmsJ2A

The steering angle one you'll need inpa or istad to reset it/recalibrate it. This thread covers some of that: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1613397
And if that has been done but the error comes back it could be dirty (no personal experience). This video explains that:

I believe if it's coming up with a flat tire failure that it does not have TPMS; aftermarket wheels or the like. So that might just be something with a rolling diameter being out of range, larger or smaller. I don't know the limits off the top of my head.
Maybe this is something that can be changed with coding?

I have no idea what the start assist is.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 04:41 AM   #6
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Start assist us probably Hill start assist which is part of the DSC system to stop your car rolling back when starting on a hill.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
RonnieRobotPants
Someone Else
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Kinda sounds like the car sat with a dead battery for a while, week+.

Some of the things you can go through and manually 're-calibrate'.

For the windows try this one first: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224511

If that does not work/help then go to the more sever option: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ulator/OrmsJ2A

The steering angle one you'll need inpa or istad to reset it/recalibrate it. This thread covers some of that: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1613397
And if that has been done but the error comes back it could be dirty (no personal experience). This video explains that:

I believe if it's coming up with a flat tire failure that it does not have TPMS; aftermarket wheels or the like. So that might just be something with a rolling diameter being out of range, larger or smaller. I don't know the limits off the top of my head.
Maybe this is something that can be changed with coding?

I have no idea what the start assist is.
Thanks for all of this, I read through it all a few times and realised that it's probably best that i don't attempt to do it. I have a tendency to muck things up, especially first time round.

I ended up taking her to Advan to get a proper once over and it is my steering angle sensor (SZL) that needs replacing plus i'm going to get a new charge pipe as i'm currently on borrowed time with the OEM plastic one.
Appreciate 1
iminhell13917.50