BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Have you had a fuel pump failure or a potential symptom?
High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure 19 35.19%
Elongated Starting 35 64.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

07-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #23
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Many people have been waiting for the 1 series hoping and thinking BMW would fix this problem for sure. I guess not. It makes me sick also that this Ultimate Car company builds cars with so many issues. A BIG part of QUALITY is relable parts. BMW doesn't seem to be able to do both. I agree with Steve.

Wanting a BMW my entire life, and now being able to afford it, I am really nervous about getting a Shop Queen.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #24
Steve135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks Jeff.

All of the people I know tell me to stay clear of BMW's for these reasons. I have always wanted one, but it also makes me very hesitant. I am hoping BMW can get the 2009 135i more reliable by next spring. BIG HOPES I KNOW.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #25
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

What's the point in bringing up the fact that you are worried about getting "a shop queen" in this thread again? Both you and Steve have complained consistently in every thread that have mentioned issues about the 135i, always claiming inferior quality to other car companies. Frankly, it pisses me off.

If you are worried, then don't get the car! You don't have to let the whole world know EVERY TIME that you are not happy with the fact the car has issues, especially when you don't have the car yourself.

I come from a background of all Japanese cars in my entire life, but I really want the 135i, along with its issues. So I ordered it. I don't go on complaining every time I see a problem arise. Yes, it has fuel pump issues! Either deal with it and discuss and contribute with MEANINGFUL conversation, or just shut up!

/rant
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #26
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

First of all, this thread did not tell you the percentage of failure. Second, if the pump failed, will the car just goes into limp home mode or will you be stranded? I would be deeply concern if the car would not run at all. Did anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #27
gan08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135

I experienced long crank during car control clinic event and after montain road driving.
Maybe at some degree of performance driving and on/off the engine triggers the issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 07:54 PM   #28
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I'll start this by saying everyone is entitled to their opinion,..so here's mine.

I'll take the occasional "FREE" Repair in order to drive the 1er.
While it is a PIA to bring it in for service, ..it is FREE.
I have an ear to ear grin every time I get in the damn thing. The power, handling, brakes, sport seats...etc. Really great package!
I could understand complaining if you had to pay for the fuel pump, or other repairs..but you dont.
(My real beef is with the dealers service dept that they didnt get it fixed the first time I brought it in and left it for 2 days,...and I even told them what was wrong with it)
All cars have their issues,..so far as I know,..this is the only major one that has surfaced so far with the 1ers.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 08:34 PM   #29
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

My car has 1900km on the clock. Have experienced 3-4 second start since new , but intermitently.

Had the car checked out at the dealer 2 weeks ago and after testing all day they finally had a delayed crank and error code.

The dealer has ordered the pump, but told me there will be a delay in the supply..

Just hoping the car doesnt just stop on me..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #30
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
it took 45 seconds for my car to crank over today. So now both my 1 and 3 have to have the fuel pumps replaced.
      08-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #31
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I posted this in the other thread...

"well, about 30 minute ago my Pump went. Car started and I rolled about 10 feet and it shut off and wont start. Tow is on the way, my girl picked me up from 1 so im gonna hop in my other car (Not the 335) dont need this again today LOL.. later boys, will let you know what the dealer says..."
      08-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #32
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I really do not want to get to that stage. How embarrassing.. Sorry to hear about that Artz.

Sadly I'm afraid my dealer will push it until then as well.
      08-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #33
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
well the tow truck finally picked up my car at 3:30 PM and towed it to my dealer. Luckily they had 2 new style pumps in stock. It is 5:16 PM and the dealer just called and told me the car is done. On my way to pick it up. I love my dealer!!!
      08-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #34
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I put a sticky with the NHTSA site to register complaints regarding the HPFP at the top of this forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #35
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Fuel Pump relaced

OK guys,
Here's the poop on my fuel pump.
  1. Brought car in for elongated starting 2 weeks ago. Dealer had it for 2 days. Gave me some BS about fixing it within the software. Got it back,...and it started hard the next morning.
  2. Made 2nd appt w/ dealer. Faxed them the service bulletins, (so graciously posted by Bimmertech here on the boards) showing the pump problems, and the part numbers for the bad pumps. Verified that they indeed had a "Good Pump" in stock. (Which they did)
  3. Dropped car off,..picked it up 6 hrs later w/NEW FUEL PUMP!!! Car started up right away, and seemed to have a noticeable increase in power. (Maybe this was because I just got out of the 328 loaner they gave me, but the whole way home, it seemed to run much stronger. Just went out and "test started" it this morning, and it fired up immediately. Problem seems to be solved.
While this prob was a slight inconvenience,..I still LOVE the car, (Really a great vehicle, gets admiring stares, hauls ass, handles like a dream, and stops on the proverbial dime)

Additional note-Really appreciate my sport seats now after spending a day in the loaner w/ the standard seats. What a difference!
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #36
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Update: Just heard back from the dealership. My HPFP is indeed on its way out. The pumps are on back-order from BMW and are in "very high demand", with "widespread cases being reported". Luckily I booked my car in at the first signs of this problem, so I will receive the new part before it becomes an issue.

For reference, the symptom in question is an abnormally long crank on ignition, ranging from two to five seconds at times. Problem began at around 500km. It hasn't significantly worsened since, but there are now 3000kms on the engine. I suspect it wouldn't last much longer than 5000km. Or, if it does last longer, the damage to the starter may become a concern.

Lesson: If you have the long crank, get your car to the shop before you get stuck on the highway without any power. Believe me, I once had a 2003 Mazda Protege with this problem at it was embarrassing to have it shut down in an intersection.
      08-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #37
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

well what about those of us who don't own a car?

once apon a time, I was in a meeting for a condo, and one person stood up regarding those who were illegally parking in the visitor parking spots...

I replied, you will be towed away of course! rofl... I just had to put that in.

EspressoBoy & Yoda

ps, that was a joke, I have been towed my humour is a bit odd. my avatar speaks volumes I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #38
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
Made my second appointment today, so next tuesday we will see what they say, i took a video of my long start, dont know if that will help.
Last time they told me the long start is normal, because it had to build pressure, or some BS.
I hope i get this resolved, my car feels very laggy.

BUT DONT GET IT TWISTED! I LOVE THIS CAR, AND THIS LITTLE PROBLEM DOESNT MAKE IT A POS! THIS CAR RULES THE WORLD!
      08-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #39
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

My SA asked if I heard about the fuel pump issue on the internet?? I told him yeah and he continued to say if the long cranks start happening back-to-back with each startup, then I should bring it in. Until then they are on backorder and will notify me once available. They also asked if I brought the car in could they replicate the long crank. I said you betcha!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #40
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
well what about those of us who don't own a car?

once apon a time, I was in a meeting for a condo, and one person stood up regarding those who were illegally parking in the visitor parking spots...

I replied, you will be towed away of course! rofl... I just had to put that in.

EspressoBoy & Yoda

ps, that was a joke, I have been towed my humour is a bit odd. my avatar speaks volumes I guess.
I happen to like your twisted... "off center" humor. What I dont like is this .. Fuel pump fiasco.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #41
TakeOne
Just1MoreMod
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F48 X1

I just took my car in to BMW today. I inquired about the fuel pump issue which they "have not heard of any yet". They said they would run my VIN to see if there were any recalls on it yet. 30 seconds later I was told. "Nope no recalls for your model".
So i don't know how to take this?
- Could it be that my vehicle being built in June has a newer style pump?
- Could it be that they are fixing vehicles on a "HELP ME" first come first serve basis.
- Or could it be a early vins get first priority then later models and so forth.
- And last option complete bullshit denial.
What do you all think?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #42
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

As I mentioned, it's not a recall yet. Not yet...
Just wait until it gets worse then take it back in.
      08-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #43
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I just got off the phone with the BMW Tech, he says BMW is having them do a set group of tests to prove that it is a fuel pump problem otherwise they will not replace the pump. The problem is they cannot detect the problem in my car because it only cuts out at very high speeds. He agrees that it is the fuel pump but he has to keep my car and talk with BMW to get an ok. They gave me a v8 X5 as a loaner, I told them I was not picking up my car until it had a new pump installed. I am happy with my loaner! But I will be happier with my Stage 2 DINAN running properly.
      08-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #44
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeOne View Post
I just took my car in to BMW today. I inquired about the fuel pump issue which they "have not heard of any yet". They said they would run my VIN to see if there were any recalls on it yet. 30 seconds later I was told. "Nope no recalls for your model".
So i don't know how to take this?
- Could it be that my vehicle being built in June has a newer style pump?
- Could it be that they are fixing vehicles on a "HELP ME" first come first serve basis.
- Or could it be a early vins get first priority then later models and so forth.
- And last option complete bullshit denial.
What do you all think?
I'm a June build also. I have 1300 miles so far and no symptoms.. yet. I wish I knew the answer to the question you pose as to when or if ALL pumps are bad.. or only a bad batch of them.
Appreciate 0