BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

1M vs M4

I was at my dealer to check the new M4 out. I made some pics to compare the two.

Who has already driven the new M4/M3 what s it like when you compare it to the 1M handling wise. Is the 1M more agile?

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
iDave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Pack

I went in for some work on my 1m on Friday and they let me out in the m4

The m4 is a fantastic car , the sound in sports mode accelerating made my 1m sound quite tame , it's not as raw as the 1m handling wise and seemed very comfortable

If and when I swap my 1m it will be for an m4
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
the 1M looks so much better than the M4 in those pics.....more aggressive, boxy, and like a BMW at least. lol. Not really a fan of the long and rounded 4er. Looks like a Jaguar or Audi.

I'd like to try out one of the new M3s. have heard good things.....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

At least a couple of 1M drivers have tested the F80/F82 on circuit. With adaptive suspension - which will be default for our Australian market - handling was similar to my 1M on CS. It instilled confidence in allowing a new driver (mysef) to push hard on cornering. The stock setup actually tolerated 1.2g to 1.3g lateral, as recorded with DSC off (instructor).

Using MDM mode on the motorkhana section was difficult (slalom exercises), as torque and unfamiliarity resulted in untidy oversteer. However, the ability to rotate on tight corners was readily achievable.

As refined and technologically advanced as the F80/F82 was, I agree with iDave that it felt like more of a (luxury) street car, rather than the 1M which is twitchy and requires more concentration. Hopefully, we shall see more reports in the coming months.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Advevo, the kind of comparison you need, can probably be done by yourself, better than anybody else.

So, why don't you grab one M3/M4 for a test drive and tell us what YOU think? Would be more interesting to hear for most of us

I agree that from the pictures 1M look better; more aggressive, compact, purposeful. Difference in size is striking.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I can't get over how effing huge that thing is. My brother has an E92 M3 and it looks obese next to my 1er. Obviously both the E92 and the new one are terrific cars with lovely motors, but that's a LOT of mass to throw around. 1M, and M2 (hopefully...) are the perfect size for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
1M's fender flares are sooo much more aggressive M4's fender flares. the F80 M3 sedan has nice flares though.....would like to see a comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
photo
This, and this...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Damn, that rear window of the M4 really looks bad, especially compared with the 1M. I would take the M3 anyday.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

M4 is definitely a very special and one of the most phenomenal car BMW M has ever made for us. imho.
but again and again and again for the hundred and even thousand times being said..
its not a 1M.
      06-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
Joraq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

1M and M3

I drove the M3 on Friday as I was considering a possible change. I am uncomfortable with the thought of selling my 1M. I fear I'd feel like those e30 M3 owners who sold their cars years ago... The fact is my 1 y/o hasn't been in the car since she has been in a rear facing child seat has put me in this predicament.. Its been months since we have driven as a family, something I enjoy, in my favorite car. Anyhow, the comparo..

Disclaimer: My drive was for only 15/20 minutes maybe on public roads.. The car was naturally a DCT (supposedly will be 80% of the cars equipped in the US) and I am a manual car driver.

Power/Speed: The power and speed is present in surplus. The engine under power feels V8-like in thrust and noise. Yes, the car is loud as it has been said. The car is obviously faster than the 1M but doesn't necessarily feel that way.. aka, the rear end isn't as squirrely/the sensation is more muted.

Steering: I don't care what others say, I drive a ZHP and 1M regularly and both cars have more feel.. This is subjective. Some call this "numbness". I have no ties to BMW so I will blame the electronic steering and its programming. The the steering is precise and its programming make it well weighted.

Ride: The car is noticeably smoother and though I briefly tampered with the settings (comfort, sport, sport +), the settings did what they say they will do.. Comfort should be fine for any car buyer. I'm probably not the best person to ask this question as I obviously like performance suspensions..

Fit and finish/seats: Standard 3 series with better leather and sport seats will maybe give it +.5? The interior was black so it didn't really "do anything" for me.

Overall impression: To be honest, I wanted to be blown away. My disclaimer stated that the car was DCT and i'm a manual enthusiast. My left foot was twitchy the whole time and I'm not accustomed to a myriad of settings, etc.. I found myself wanting either the car to do it all, or me. Nothing in between. If I shifted, I wanted to feel a clutch. These cars cater to a different generation. I'm younger but old school in many ways. Times are changing and the current crop of performance cars reflect this. The DCT is amazing for what it is but the experience was lost for me. I will have to drive a manual in the sport with MDM on to experience what this car really is. The M3 makes more sense for me at this juncture in my life, yet, as I stated, I needed it to "move" me to really consider. It didn't though i'm trying to convince myself. The hype makes me wonder if people really remember what it feels like to drive a 1M. I know the M3 is bigger and heavier but still. The 1M is truly alive. After the drive I was walking to my car and the manager told me I had a nice car and that I need to get the M3 for my baby.. I expressed that I was torn.. The 1M still draws attention and is revered. It's kind of funny. When I got into my 1M, I put MDM mode on, depressed the M button and was reminded why this car has been given so much attention. I'm not sure any modern BMW will surpass the "subjective" thrill one receives when driving it. The 1M's size, steering, power delievery (not just power) and tossability (i.e. recklessness to those who prefer sheer stability E9XM, etc.) make it really come alive without the need of several buttons being pressed. Most are correct in assuming the M2 will be faster. But will it be more alive? I am not so sure.

I've been waiting to read better comparo's amongst those who have bought both, but haven't seen anything. These feelings are just after a quick test drive. I have not bought the car or sold my 1M so I don't need to justify my purchase. I would love to do another ED and want to consider the more "practical" car for me right now, but can't get over the experience I am having with the best car I've ever had. After a back to back comparison, I'm even more sure the 1M will be a classic and am ready to support this claim against anyone who has driven both the 1M and the M3/4. Please remember I am a regular civilian driver, on normal roads without a manual.. I completely understand the M3 is a faster car that will outperform the 1M from a raw performance standpoint. Who knows, with a manual I might have felt differently??!.. 1M owners, you don't need famous people to tell/assure you that your car is amazing. The 1M is a very special car.

ps. for those of you who can.. buy a M3 along with the 1M if you can : ) .. Though my 1M is more fun, the M3 is great in its own right.. just not more fun....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
joraq: great review! you can easily fit a rear facing seat in the center position of your 1M. I spoke to a few owners about that prior to buying a 1er. We are thinking of having kids soon so that was a must for the occasional drive.

Last edited by IEDEI; 06-29-2014 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
NiceGuyEddie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraq
I drove the M3 on Friday as I was considering a possible change. I am uncomfortable with the thought of selling my 1M. I fear I'd feel like those e30 M3 owners who sold their cars years ago... The fact is my 1 y/o hasn't been in the car since she has been in a rear facing child seat has put me in this predicament.. Its been months since we have driven as a family, something I enjoy, in my favorite car. Anyhow, the comparo..

Disclaimer: My drive was for only 15/20 minutes maybe on public roads.. The car was naturally a DCT (supposedly will be 80% of the cars equipped in the US) and I am a manual car driver.

Power/Speed: The power and speed is present in surplus. The engine under power feels V8-like in thrust and noise. Yes, the car is loud as it has been said. The car is obviously faster than the 1M but doesn't necessarily feel that way.. aka, the rear end isn't as squirrely/the sensation is more muted.

Steering: I don't care what others say, I drive a ZHP and 1M regularly and both cars have more feel.. This is subjective. Some call this "numbness". I have no ties to BMW so I will blame the electronic steering and its programming. The the steering is precise and its programming make it well weighted.

Ride: The car is noticeably smoother and though I briefly tampered with the settings (comfort, sport, sport +), the settings did what they say they will do.. Comfort should be fine for any car buyer. I'm probably not the best person to ask this question as I obviously like performance suspensions..

Fit and finish/seats: Standard 3 series with better leather and sport seats will maybe give it +.5? The interior was black so it didn't really "do anything" for me.

Overall impression: To be honest, I wanted to be blown away. My disclaimer stated that the car was DCT and i'm a manual enthusiast. My left foot was twitchy the whole time and I'm not accustomed to a myriad of settings, etc.. I found myself wanting either the car to do it all, or me. Nothing in between. If I shifted, I wanted to feel a clutch. These cars cater to a different generation. I'm younger but old school in many ways. Times are changing and the current crop of performance cars reflect this. The DCT is amazing for what it is but the experience was lost for me. I will have to drive a manual in the sport with MDM on to experience what this car really is. The M3 makes more sense for me at this juncture in my life, yet, as I stated, I needed it to "move" me to really consider. It didn't though i'm trying to convince myself. The hype makes me wonder if people really remember what it feels like to drive a 1M. I know the M3 is bigger and heavier but still. The 1M is truly alive. After the drive I was walking to my car and the manager told me I had a nice car and that I need to get the M3 for my baby.. I expressed that I was torn.. The 1M still draws attention and is revered. It's kind of funny. When I got into my 1M, I put MDM mode on, depressed the M button and was reminded why this car has been given so much attention. I'm not sure any modern BMW will surpass the "subjective" thrill one receives when driving it. The 1M's size, steering, power delievery (not just power) and tossability (i.e. recklessness to those who prefer sheer stability E9XM, etc.) make it really come alive without the need of several buttons being pressed. Most are correct in assuming the M2 will be faster. But will it be more alive? I am not so sure.

I've been waiting to read better comparo's amongst those who have bought both, but haven't seen anything. These feelings are just after a quick test drive. I have not bought the car or sold my 1M so I don't need to justify my purchase. I would love to do another ED and want to consider the more "practical" car for me right now, but can't get over the experience I am having with the best car I've ever had. After a back to back comparison, I'm even more sure the 1M will be a classic and am ready to support this claim against anyone who has driven both the 1M and the M3/4. Please remember I am a regular civilian driver, on normal roads without a manual.. I completely understand the M3 is a faster car that will outperform the 1M from a raw performance standpoint. Who knows, with a manual I might have felt differently??!.. 1M owners, you don't need famous people to tell/assure you that your car is amazing. The 1M is a very special car.

ps. for those of you who can.. buy a M3 along with the 1M if you can : ) .. Though my 1M is more fun, the M3 is great in its own right.. just not more fun....
Nailed it. Took the words right out of my mouth. I had this very experience last week with an M4 currently in production. Fired up my 1M after the test drive and smiled all the way home.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:11 AM   #15
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Some qoutes from other magazine and test drivers. 1m vs e92 m3 vs m4

The 1M simply devoured the corners with enthusiasm that neither of the larger cars could manage. Being faster or slower seemed like a pedantic, academic question. It felt alive in ways that neither the M3 or M4 ever did. The steering (technically no quicker than either of the other two cars) felt more immediate and nuanced while the rest of the car was quicker to react to inputs.

Evo mag test

BMW M4 en Jaguar F-Type Coupe.

"Back at base camp, Vivian and I switch cars and I head off in the Jaguar for what turns out to be one of the most surprising drives I think I've ever had. Flitting down the same bit of road in the F-type, it feels like I've jumped into an Elise. That last sentence sounds like ridiculous hyperbole but I'm really not exaggerating. The whole car feels so light, responsive and direct that you'd swear it was about half the weight and half the size of the BMW. I checked afterwards and the F-type Coupe is actually slightly wider and about 60kg heavier according to the official figures, yet it feels the opposite and then some."

"As Viv comments over a second luncheon cigarette: 'Stepping from the F-type to the M4 is almost surreal. The BMW feels ponderous, slow-witted and heavy by comparison."
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #16
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo
Some qoutes from other magazine and test drivers. 1m vs e92 m3 vs m4

The 1M simply devoured the corners with enthusiasm that neither of the larger cars could manage. Being faster or slower seemed like a pedantic, academic question. It felt alive in ways that neither the M3 or M4 ever did. The steering (technically no quicker than either of the other two cars) felt more immediate and nuanced while the rest of the car was quicker to react to inputs.

Evo mag test

BMW M4 en Jaguar F-Type Coupe.

"Back at base camp, Vivian and I switch cars and I head off in the Jaguar for what turns out to be one of the most surprising drives I think I've ever had. Flitting down the same bit of road in the F-type, it feels like I've jumped into an Elise. That last sentence sounds like ridiculous hyperbole but I'm really not exaggerating. The whole car feels so light, responsive and direct that you'd swear it was about half the weight and half the size of the BMW. I checked afterwards and the F-type Coupe is actually slightly wider and about 60kg heavier according to the official figures, yet it feels the opposite and then some."

"As Viv comments over a second luncheon cigarette: 'Stepping from the F-type to the M4 is almost surreal. The BMW feels ponderous, slow-witted and heavy by comparison."
wow....that Jaguar vs. M4 bit is very surprising! The most negativity I've read about the M4 this far.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #17
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
chr*st that rear window looks bad. It ends so close to the end of the trunk that it reminds me of one of the hideous 'GT' models. I thought the 4 looked great until I saw it next to your 1M!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #18
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

My braddahs all I see is an enthusiast's car versus a car makes compromises.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

A lot of people have asked me why I sold my 1M because I miss it. I don't want to go into all that but I thought BMW was on the right track again and the next generation was going to be good. While I like the look of the new M3 and appreciate that it's a little lighter. I find myself not really liking any of the models more than 1M. I don't like the look and dimensions of the M4. It looks enormous like last generation GTO. M3 at least gives you practicality for the 4 seat version but it's a big car and SoCal parking spaces are smaller than anywhere else. Also while the M3 might sound good it's digital and I have a problem with that. Everything is push button too. I was too optimistic about bmws direction and it's my fault. I met a fellow addict who has 3 kids and will trade in for M3. Can't blame him I only have two and it wasn't an issue.

One magazine said new M cars feel like they were built to achieve numbers... 0-60, G force etc and they achieve them but so does in vitro fertilization. Faster impregnation more babies per procedure and cleaner so it's better right??? Yes. So then why doesn't everyone do it that way? I think all the dct zealots should be told by there wives... In vitro only dear... It's quicker!

How the numbers are achieved matters because it is fun and feels good! This is especially important in the USA where you don't have autobahns and having fun at legal speeds is priceless. If you get excited about final numbers then it's time to move on but if you value fun achieving those numbers it's hard to look past 1M. 2 cents

Last edited by nachob; 06-30-2014 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #20
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

There are some threads with actual weight of the m4 and m3. Appears the cars are around 3550 lbs and up depending on transmission.

That's already 200-300 lbs more than the 1M which I already wish weighed about 150 lbs lighter than it does now. It's also much more than I would ever pay for a car so that's a factor as well.

I'll wait for the m2... And while I am not sure I would switch the m2, if they were to create an m2 gran coupe I would be in line already.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #21
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
i will be gettin an F8X to accompany my 1 series. I personally quite like the car and think it will compliment my e82 very well. I think for 1M owners you guys will all be very challenged to find a replacement car. We have seen countless threads where 1M owners just compare the cars and go one on and on about X car is essentially not a 1m. The 1M is a fantastic car and represents an changing time in BMW's and much of the F8X's DNA was borrowed from things piloted by the success of the 1M. If I were a 1M owner, I would only be looking for a car to compliment the 1m, not replace it. Get something that will contrast your car and draw enjoyment in other factors the 1m may not.

Last edited by ilikebmxbikes; 06-30-2014 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I love the 1M but i have to pick the M4

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0