BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Ordered my 128i Coupe!

After lots of research, I ordered my next car this week. Thanks to everyone who chipped in with advice along the way. Here are the specs:
  • 2013 128i Coupe (duh)
  • Manual Transmission (!!!)
  • Vermilion Red Metallic
  • Taupe Leather (I know it will take some effort to keep clean, but I sat in a Taupe 128i on two occasions and it just felt right)
  • Anthracite Wood Trim
  • Premium Package
  • Lighting Package
  • Technology Package
  • Alarm System
  • Sport Seats
  • Heated Seats
  • Park Distance Control
  • Harman Kardon Stereo

Once it arrives, I'll swap out the stock suspension, wheels and tires. I'm almost certainly going with the BMW Performance Suspension, and I'm definitely going with Apex Aero 7 wheels (18x8 all around) with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (225/40-18 all around).

I'm incredibly excited about this car because it represents the blend of all the things I like most about a traditional BMW (relatively light weight, naturally aspirated I-6, manual transmission, hydraulic steering, etc.) along with some fun new features. It'll kind of be my new old school car!

Now I just have to be patient...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Congrats!!
Certainly a car with classic BMW elements.

Check that you get the sway bars if you go BMP Supention. I think non Sport & Sport have different part numbers.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Congrats!!
Certainly a car with classic BMW elements.

Check that you get the sway bars if you go BMP Supention. I think non Sport & Sport have different part numbers.
Thanks!

Yep, the non-Sport/M-Sport cars need the missing rear sway bar and you're correct that the non-sport PS kit has a different part number. I already talked to Tischer -- I'm just waiting for a VIN so I can order the kit with the appropriate springs for my build.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

So you decided against the Lifestyle LE package? I am still debating on my build. Right now I am leaning towards DSB, Beige and MSport.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Yeah, no Lifestyle Package for me. I like the interior, but once I made the decision to swap the wheels and tires, it seemed like a waste for my purposes. Also, I decided to go with a square setup (225s all around), so keeping the Lifestyle rims wouldn't work. Note that they're 18x8 front and 18x9 rear, even wider than the rims that come on a 135is, and probably decently heavy. It's a great looking setup and the only way to get Mineral White, but no regrets on my part.

My wife's car is Deep Sea Blue and it's lovely when you keep it clean. But for that, there's a good chance I would have ordered it. She beat me to the punch, dammit!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
Yeah, no Lifestyle Package for me. I like the interior, but once I made the decision to swap the wheels and tires, it seemed like a waste for my purposes. Also, I decided to go with a square setup (225s all around), so keeping the Lifestyle rims wouldn't work. Note that they're 18x8 front and 18x9 rear, even wider than the rims that come on a 135is, and probably decently heavy. It's a great looking setup and the only way to get Mineral White, but no regrets on my part.

My wife's car is Deep Sea Blue and it's lovely when you keep it clean. But for that, there's a good chance I would have ordered it. She beat me to the punch, dammit!
I thought about red as well, but my wife vetoed that, since her next car will be red. Glad you like the DSB, I have black now, so I figured the blue could not be any harder to take care of, plus it is my favorite color .

How long did they say till you get your car? I will most likely order this month as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

Congrats! A 128 with a stick if a fun car to drive, every day, any situation.

I've seen Vermilion Red at my dealer's. It's a nice color.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Congrats....!

Wow, you added in a lot of options....
      03-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
After lots of research, I ordered my next car this week. Thanks to everyone who chipped in with advice along the way. Here are the specs:
  • 2013 128i Coupe (duh)
  • Manual Transmission (!!!)
  • Vermilion Red Metallic
  • Taupe Leather (I know it will take some effort to keep clean, but I sat in a Taupe 128i on two occasions and it just felt right)
  • Anthracite Wood Trim
  • Premium Package
  • Lighting Package
  • Technology Package
  • Alarm System
  • Sport Seats
  • Heated Seats
  • Park Distance Control
  • Harman Kardon Stereo
so many options!!!!

just curious as to why you didn't wait for F22? or go a slightly less optioned 135i?

Quote:
Once it arrives, I'll swap out the stock suspension, wheels and tires. I'm almost certainly going with the BMW Performance Suspension, and I'm definitely going with Apex Aero 7 wheels (18x8 all around) with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (225/40-18 all around).
much better options than BMWP suspension for the price (i had it, it's pretty terrible actually), unless you really REALLY want suspension factory warranty >_> - 8.5" will fit all around and 9.5" in the rear even.

235's will easily fit up front, and 245's if you try... 225 is stock for 135i's even, 8.5's with 245 all around would be the best possible for predictable performance.

you'll find 225's understeer with the lack of front grip, 235's are minimum, 245's would be GREAT.

Quote:
I'm incredibly excited about this car because it represents the blend of all the things I like most about a traditional BMW (relatively light weight, naturally aspirated I-6, manual transmission, hydraulic steering, etc.) along with some fun new features. It'll kind of be my new old school car!

Now I just have to be patient...
you'll love it i'm sure!.. well except maybe for not being able to make it any (noticably) more powerful, oh well!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
so many options!!!!

just curious as to why you didn't wait for F22? or go a slightly less optioned 135i?
Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster
I like most about a traditional BMW (relatively light weight, naturally aspirated I-6, manual transmission, hydraulic steering, etc.
Perhaps you should read his post.

OP, if I was you I would ditch the sunroof and nav. They add 80lbs to the car, 40 at the second worse place.

Quote:
you'll love it i'm sure!.. well except maybe for not being able to make it any (noticably) more powerful, oh well!
70hp isn't noticeable?
      03-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post

OP, if I was you I would ditch the sunroof and nav. They add 80lbs to the car, 40 at the second worse place.
I would agree. While it is nice to have an integrated Nav, over $2000 seems too expensive for my taste. Also, as I have said before, I find a sunroof a waste, since I never use them.

Of course, since he is coming from a 335i, all the options on the 128i still probably make it a relatively low price (I think the MSRP on the build is a little over $42K, if I am not mistaken).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I would agree. While it is nice to have an integrated Nav, over $2000 seems too expensive for my taste. Also, as I have said before, I find a sunroof a waste, since I never use them.

Of course, since he is coming from a 335i, all the options on the 128i still probably make it a relatively low price (I think the MSRP on the build is a little over $42K, if I am not mistaken).
Price wasn't a concern in the slightest. I just feel that a 300hp NA 3000lb RWD car with a 6MT is perfection.
      03-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Price wasn't a concern in the slightest. I just feel that a 300hp NA 3000lb RWD car with a 6MT is perfection.
Yes, I would agree.

I just figured he added all the options, since the price on the 128i is relatively low.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

I've posted elsewhere on this forum about my thought process (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685467) but the basic rationale for my decision follows the storyline of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

My current car is a 2011 335i Coupe. In retrospect, I find it to be just a bit too big, soft and heavy for my tastes. Before that, I had a 2007 Z4 Coupe that I really liked for the most part, but it became a bit impractical over time and it was hard as nails (that car was not tuned for run-flats, and it showed).

Basically, I was looking for the "in between" car and that's good description for the a 128i Coupe. I don't need gobs of power -- in fact, I'd rather have a bit less power if it means I can rev the engine and row the gears more. And as good as the N55 engine is, I still haven't met a turbocharged engine that I prefer to a naturally aspirated inline 6. The N52 may not set the world on fire anymore, but it's simply a great engine and it reminds me of the BMWs I grew up with and admired.

To answer some of the questions in the thread:

Why Premium/Sunroof? I would have dropped this package but for one simple need: lumbar support. It completely cheeses me that BMW doesn't offer manual lumbar support standard or even as part of the sports seats option, but it is what it is. I've driven a couple BMWs without lumbar support (loaners and test drives) and my back starts to hurt within minutes. I'm sure there are all matter of cheap fixes, but I don't want to have an upholsterer open the seats or add some tacky pillow, so the Premium Package was added. The power memory seats are also nice for my wife as she sometimes drives my car and vice versa.

Why E82 instead of F22? I'm sure the F22 will be a fine car, but I'm fairly sure it won't be the right car for me if it follows in the footsteps of the F30. I'm borderline disgusted with my wife's F30 -- it simply doesn't feel like a BMW to me. The engine, while powerful and efficient, has zero enjoyment or soul. The base suspension is very poorly tuned. The steering is lifeless. And the entire car is overrun with eco-garbage. Maybe it's the future, but I don't have to like it today! In short, I don't believe the F22 will share some of the direct, old school features that I most appreciate about the E82 (especially the NA engine and hydraulic steering).

Why the Performance Suspension and 225s all around? This car is primarily going to be a daily driver, so I want it to achieve a solid balance between sportiness and relative comfort. I'm just looking to take some of the body movement and slop out of the regular sports suspension. From everything I've read from other owners the Performance Suspension is a good fit for that description. It may be "pretty terrible" to you (though that seems like hyperbole) but I think it will fit my needs nicely and the warranty coverage is a nice plus. As for the wheels and tires, lightweight 18x8s and Michelin PSS tires all around represent a good middle ground and I believe they will offer sufficient grip for my config. My 335i could use a bit more front end grip, but it has a lot more weight and runflats, so I think the square config on a 128i will be an improvement.

If I've ruffled anyone's feathers with my opinions, please note that they are only *my* opinions and I only apply them to myself. I fully understand why people prefer the 135i and I'm sure there are people who love their F30s -- If I wanted a 135i or a new 335i, I'd get one, but I really admire the relative old school simplicity of the E82 and I want to get one before they're no longer available. Basically, I know my tastes and I'm finally building a car that matches them closely without going overboard.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I would agree.

I just figured he added all the options, since the price on the 128i is relatively low.
Well, my dream config would be the 128i with the 255HP N52 variant from the Z4. I simply adored that engine -- smooth, tractable and linear with a lovely metallic wail. The 230HP N52 isn't far behind in terms of power and it shares the same basic characteristics, so I'm excited about that.

If, over time, I feel the urge to add a little more power, I'll look at the basic options (chip and intake), but I don't think it will be necessary. I still prefer the feel of an NA engine even though it's obviously less powerful and offers fewer tuning options.

In terms of the options, I got what I wanted and know I'll use -- nothing more, nothing less. Premium was needed as explained above, Lighting is a no-brainer for me as is the HK stereo (which I have now). Sport seats are a must. I was on the fence about Tech but made up my mind (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811513). After that, it's small stuff: PDC is very useful with my garage/driveway config, the alarm is cheap peace of mind, especially since I'm swapping the wheels, and my wife would not be happy if I skipped the heated seats!

Even with all the options, I'm getting a very good deal. When everything is said and done, I can fill in the blanks.

Last edited by simianspeedster; 03-09-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I thought about red as well, but my wife vetoed that, since her next car will be red. Glad you like the DSB, I have black now, so I figured the blue could not be any harder to take care of, plus it is my favorite color .

How long did they say till you get your car? I will most likely order this month as well.
Dark Blue is my favorite color as well -- go ahead and get it just to make me jealous!

I believe I grabbed my dealer's last allocation for the month, so the order went straight in. He's estimating 2 months. I should be getting my production number shortly.

Order yours soon and maybe we'll be on the same ship!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dark Blue is my favorite color as well -- go ahead and get it just to make me jealous!

I believe I grabbed my dealer's last allocation for the month, so the order went straight in. He's estimating 2 months. I should be getting my production number shortly.

Order yours soon and maybe we'll be on the same ship!
I'm going to the dealer next weekend, so we'll see what happens. By the way, i forgot to say, congrats on your purchase! I like the NA engine and hydraulic steering as well, so I think we are on the same page there. I'm on the East coast, so not sure if we would be on the same ship, but would be kinda cool if we were.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If I've ruffled anyone's feathers with my opinions, please note that they are only *my* opinions and I only apply them to myself. I fully understand why people prefer the 135i and I'm sure there are people who love their F30s -- If I wanted a 135i or a new 335i, I'd get one, but I really admire the relative old school simplicity of the E82 and I want to get one before they're no longer available. Basically, I know my tastes and I'm finally building a car that matches them closely without going overboard.
Oh I can tell we are going to get along well with all of that.

Quote:
Well, my dream config would be the 128i with the 255HP N52 variant from the Z4. I simply adored that engine -- smooth, tractable and linear with a lovely metallic wail. The 230HP N52 isn't far behind in terms of power and it shares the same basic characteristics, so I'm excited about that.

If, over time, I feel the urge to add a little more power, I'll look at the basic options (chip and intake), but I don't think it will be necessary. I still prefer the feel of an NA engine even though it's obviously less powerful and offers fewer tuning options.
You can install the factory OE DISA intake off the 330i/X3 3.0/X5 3.0/whatever and Evolve software for ~$1200 total and be around 280hp, or 50 up over stock and exceeding your goal with factory parts.
      03-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps you should read his post.

70hp isn't noticeable?
yeah it's good 'in theory' to want an NA i6, but the reality is a lot less impressive in comparison to even the new 4cyl turbos lol

ED: clarification: it's not 'smooth', up high revs it is, but stop start traffic it's unbelievably jerky below like 2000/2500rpm.

ohhh and sorry, i have the 265/270hp stock, there's not much you can go above that and even at a full 270ish it's JUST enough to be fun lol

and how the heck is nav 40lb? it' sjust a screen lol

i can agree with wanting hydraulic steering though

Quote:
Why the Performance Suspension and 225s all around? This car is primarily going to be a daily driver, so I want it to achieve a solid balance between sportiness and relative comfort. I'm just looking to take some of the body movement and slop out of the regular sports suspension. From everything I've read from other owners the Performance Suspension is a good fit for that description. It may be "pretty terrible" to you (though that seems like hyperbole) but I think it will fit my needs nicely and the warranty coverage is a nice plus. As for the wheels and tires, lightweight 18x8s and Michelin PSS tires all around represent a good middle ground and I believe they will offer sufficient grip for my config. My 335i could use a bit more front end grip, but it has a lot more weight and runflats, so I think the square config on a 128i will be an improvement.

it has a really high ride-height, it's too soft in 'bounciness' and really super stiff in the rear (go over a speed bump and the whole rear of the car bounces), body roll will still be completely there.. i don't see how it's hyperbole when it's what i drove on and hated for 25-30,000 miles - the difference in 8-8.5" is near nothing, and being able to comfortably fit 245's both front and rear (or even 235's, which you COULD do on an 8") is a HUGE step up over 225's

you'll really definitely find 225's aren't enough, even in the rear if you go the DISA intake and tune.. by all means, feel free to find out for yourself though.

Last edited by flinchy; 03-09-2013 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah it's good 'in theory' to want an NA i6, but the reality is a lot less impressive in comparison to even the new 4cyl turbos lol

ED: clarification: it's not 'smooth', up high revs it is, but stop start traffic it's unbelievably jerky below like 2000/2500rpm.

ohhh and sorry, i have the 265/270hp stock, there's not much you can go above that and even at a full 270ish it's JUST enough to be fun lol

and how the heck is nav 40lb? it' sjust a screen lol
Seeing as most of my cars have been NA inline sixes, I'm way beyond theory. I'll take a linear power-band over a turbo hump any day of the week.

No sure if you are referring to the N52, but it is anything but jerky. It's one of the smoothest engines out there period. Headers alone are worth 20hp and provide gains across the entire hp and torque band. So you can easily go above your 270.

iDrive is 40lbs because it is a hell of a lot more than just a screen.

You seem like someone who always wants more power, will eventually ruin the car with excessive power for the platform, and then will be frustrated and unsure why you don't enjoy the car at which point you will sell it and move on.
      03-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #21
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Flinchy,

This isn't my first time at the rodeo. In addition to many other cars, I've owned an E30 M3, an E91 Wagon (230HP N52), an E85 Z4 Coupe (255HP N52), my current E92 (N55) and my current F30 (N20). I've also driven other BMWs, so I think I'm qualified to make my own choices.

To be clear, my preference for a naturally aspirated inline 6 is not theoretical; it's based on direct experience. I don't care if an N20 or N55 would be faster, more efficient or more tunable -- I simply don't like turbocharged engines as much as NA engines. It's really that simple.

As for smoothness, I can't speak to your experience with "jerky" behavior but the N52 is one of the smoothest engines I've ever driven from top to bottom, and I've driven dozens of cars over the years. I'll go one step further and say you won't find many people who would take issue with the characterization of a BMW inline 6 as smooth -- it's one of their long-standing hallmarks and it comes up in almost every review.

As for the Performance Suspension, I'll take my chances. I sought out a lot of advice and the feedback was consistently good even from people who have also run 3rd party suspension. My understanding is that the ride height is about 1" lower than stock and about 0.5" lower than the sport suspension, so I find it strange that you'd say it rides "really high." I'm not looking to slam my car or stuff the wheel wells with tires. And for you to say I'll "definitely" find that 225s aren't enough is pure conjecture. There's nothing definite about it. Again, hyperbole writ large.

Look, I've done my research and I've ordered my car. Maybe it's not the config you would have chosen, and that's fine, but what's the point of coming into this thread and trying to tell me that I'm wrong about everything I know and everything I like? You're obviously entitled to your opinions, but you should also try to respect those of others.

Drive and let drive, brother!

Last edited by simianspeedster; 03-10-2013 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Seeing as most of my cars have been NA inline sixes, I'm way beyond theory. I'll take a linear power-band over a turbo hump any day of the week.

No sure if you are referring to the N52, but it is anything but jerky. It's one of the smoothest engines out there period. Headers alone are worth 20hp and provide gains across the entire hp and torque band. So you can easily go above your 270.

iDrive is 40lbs because it is a hell of a lot more than just a screen.

You seem like someone who always wants more power, will eventually ruin the car with excessive power for the platform, and then will be frustrated and unsure why you don't enjoy the car at which point you will sell it and move on.
yes my N52.. if you're in 1st or 2nd in traffic and let the revs drop, it will... how to describe.. 'jerk' a bit below 2000 just once. it happens on any high-compression motor in my experience though, regardless of cylinder configuration. - besides, there's no proof of headers giving a 20hp gain? i mean, logically they will, but there's no proof still

it's beautiful if you floor it all the way to 7000, absolutely perfect. just not stop start.

what else is idrive? a small module, a screen, some wires and harnesses :/ 40lb is more than most massive radio transmitters will weigh lol

no? :/... something like the older M3's... high 3xxhp N/A i6 screamer with basic mods and a tune, that would be ideal if you could get it in a modern BMW.. but no, best you can get is 265-270hp... i mean, i AM going pretty ridiculous 600-800 on the N54, but that's by the by. *because i can*/.. not sure why you'd think it wouldn't be enjoyable though

Quote:

To be clear, my preference for a naturally aspirated inline 6 is not theoretical; it's based on direct experience. I don't care if an N20 or N55 would be faster, more efficient or more tunable -- I simply don't like turbocharged engines as much as NA engines. It's really that simple.
completely understandable! if i could, i would have even preferred to supercharge the N52 to keep the N/A character.. and stock it would be a fine amount of power if you wanted a daily driver to go from point a to b

Quote:
As for the Performance Suspension, I'll take my chances. I sought out a lot of advice and the feedback was consistently good even from people who have also run 3rd party suspension. My understanding is that the ride height is about 1" lower than stock and about 0.5" lower than the sport suspension, so I find it strange that you'd say it rides "really high." I'm not looking to slam my car or stuff the wheel wells with tires. And for you to say I'll "definitely" find that 225s aren't enough is pure conjecture. There's nothing definite about it. Again, hyperbole writ large.
the 225 tire thing.. umm... it's not conjecture at all, with 225 street tires, the front will give way at moderate speeds, it understeers spectacularly

and 265hp assuming you'll tune it, is enough to overwhelm 245's in the rear

and just like you said, this is from my (and many others if you read the 'tires' forum) experience

all i'm saying is you're spending a ton of money, and plan on spending a ton more when there are proven better options for similar or less money :/ (not neccessarily the tire thing, that's similar money lol)

and 1" lower than stock.. well stock isn't exactly 'low' so 1" lower is still pretty high :P

Last edited by flinchy; 03-10-2013 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 0