BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Noob with new love for an old car...

Hi all,

Had my 2010 135i N54 M-sport for about 8 years as my DD and kept it stock other than an AFE DCI the previous owner installed. Was a busy worker bee, so just got it regularly serviced at dealer which is $$$...

Anyway, got a new DD. My car had low kms and I decided to take ownership of maintenance etc for the car to save some money but keep the car long term as a project car/car for my inlaw to use... Needless to say, my old modding DIY bug bit me once I started tinkering with the aim to make a sleeper.

So over the last month in order (partly due to COVID):

- Oil change.
- Brake fluid change
- Valve cover gasket (oil leaks for the N54 is terrible)
- Sanded, cut and polish an old keying of my car by some unknown wanker
- Replace boost solenoids (to fix #30FE error)
- Catless DPs
- FMIC
- Silicone inlets
- Aluminium outlet attempt (returned because RHD steering rack does not allow it to fit)
- 4mm Silicone vacuum lines (found a split one, so changed all to be safe)
- Charge pipe with Tial BOV
- MHD tune Stage 2+ map 98RON (quiet cold start, no exhaust burble)

Update 1:
- StopTech slotted rotors and brake pads (and sensors)
- 6 Brisk 1 stage colder plugs and Bav Auto ignition coils
- Other restoration type stuff... cabin filter, shift knob, steering wheel trim, wiper blades, rear bump stops
- Repaired and repainted stock wheels (Duplicolor hyper silver seemed a good match)
- Installed ECS oil catch can system. Unlike others, I thought the low pressure PCV plug made sense. Can location overlaps with vacuum hose though...
- Removed front top hat alignment pins (have to drill for my car).
- Found out rattling seems to be from the air vents on windscreen, seems to be quieter after pushing them down.

Update 2:
- M3 front control arms
- Nolathane rear sub-frame bushing

Update 3:
- Power steering fluid - looks good (clear and green) in expansion tank so didn't bother changing it.
- Coolant - topped up.

Update 4:
- Cone air intake filters replaced.
- CSF radiator installed. (Do not do this if you have silicone front inlets - see post below for my workaround)

Update 5:
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
- Shockworks coilovers

Update 5:
- MFactory clutch plate
- Jovawheels custom wheel made to fit BBK
- Dicase BBK

Thinking...
- Oil cooler kit... They are so expensive and hard to get, but overheating is an issue even with the upgraded radiator.

Questions/Recommendations:
- Any recommendations on anything else I should do?

Thanks for reading and any feedback.

P.S. This process has really made me fall in love with the car all over again.

Last edited by Reppunkamui; 07-22-2022 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Updates
Appreciate 4
c0bra182.50
gmx166.00
      07-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

Welcome back, can't go wrong with PS4's, i'm using Hancook RFT S1 Evo 3's, they're ideal if you live in England.

Good job so far i think, mines in the garage getting solenoid replacement. Depending on the mileage perhaps get a coolant, power steering flush. I would read up on Dackles M3 replacement parts, many users report a much better driving experience.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
RonnieRobotPants
Someone Else
Australia
Rep
Drives: Highway Sleeper

Congrats on your "Covid build", sounds like she's gonna be a lot of fun for you plus these cars make great sleepers.

I'd look in to suspension/subframe next. Like Windy said, check out Dacks posts on replacement parts, this is what ill be doing to mine next.

FWIW, I run Michelin PSS (245/35/18 rear) and even on a warm day with stage 2+ there is enough power to let the rears slip all the way up to third gear.
      07-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
I have a Quaife LSD for sale which will help with your traction issues
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 03:09 AM   #5
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy5000 View Post
Good job so far i think, mines in the garage getting solenoid replacement. Depending on the mileage perhaps get a coolant, power steering flush. I would read up on Dackles M3 replacement parts, many users report a much better driving experience.
Thanks for the feedback, waiting for my "service timer" in car to prompt me about the coolant and power steering (actually not sure if there is a power steering service message).

I will search for the Dackles stuff, only seen replacing the rear bushings, which sounds like I may not be able to do it at home. Definitely doing it when mine get worn out though. Are there other items other than the bushings?

Last edited by Reppunkamui; 07-02-2020 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:16 AM   #6
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti84 View Post
I have a Quaife LSD for sale which will help with your traction issues
Thanks, but I am in Melbourne and traction is an issue on straight line, so I am not sure how much a mechanical LSD will help.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:06 AM   #7
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Small update with some changes after parts arrived and I installed them.

- StopTech slotted rotors and brake pads (and sensors)
- 6 Brisk 1 stage colder plugs and Bav Auto ignition coils
- Other restoration type stuff... cabin filter, shift knob, steering wheel trim, wiper blades, rear bump stops
- Repaired and repainted stock wheels (Duplicolor hyper silver seemed a good match)
- Installed ECS oil catch can system. Unlike others, I thought the low pressure PCV plug made sense. Can location overlaps with vacuum hose though...
- Removed front top hat alignment pins (have to drill for my car).
- Found out rattling seems to be from the air vents on windscreen, seems to be quieter after pushing them down.

Happy for more suggestions to continue this sleeper project.

Also, are there cheap options for an LSD?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppunkamui View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy5000 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, waiting for my "service timer" in car to prompt me about the coolant and power steering (actually not sure if there is a power steering service message).

I will search for the Dackles stuff, only seen replacing the rear bushings, which sounds like I may not be able to do it at home. Definitely doing it when mine get worn out though. Are there other items other than the bushings?
You're going to be waiting forever for either light. Coolant and power steering fluid are both "lifetime" fill, so no CBS (condition based service) indicators. My PS fluid had stuff floating in it! Coolant looked ok, but it's cheap and easy to drain and fill.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
You're going to be waiting forever for either light. Coolant and power steering fluid are both "lifetime" fill, so no CBS (condition based service) indicators. My PS fluid had stuff floating in it! Coolant looked ok, but it's cheap and easy to drain and fill.
Ok, will look into it. Probably have some details of last changes in the old service book too.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #10
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update - Installed M3 control arms and Nolathane RSFB (thanks Dackles, RIP).

Things I found:

3.5 spins (lengthen) of tension rod after control arm install was about right as suggested on this forum by fe1rx. Was slightly overadjusted when properly measured, but definitely enough to get you to an alignment shop.

Installing the 2 piece RSFB, I found the easiest way (with car on jack stands):

- to remove bolts of one side (left or right) so there is enough space.
- use a jack to lift this side up once RSFB installed so you can bolt it back on.
- Also, removing the "power brace"(?) so there is space to fit a RSFB tool for the front bushing.

With adjustment pins removed and m3 control arms with stock M-Sport suspension, I only got -1 degree camber on 0 toe for the front wheels after alignment. Might get camber plates... was hoping for -1.5 degrees, but not too important.

As suggested, I have checked my power steering fluid and coolant, both look good but a little low, waiting for Victorian lockdown to end so I can pick some up from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:26 AM   #11
johnny135
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Nice build, sounds like a carbon copy of what I have done albeit over a couple of years.

How are the Stoptech rotors and pads? And where did you get them?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #12
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. I didn't see your build, honest. It all started as a bit annoyed with the dealer charges, COVID and knowing there are many parts/work I had to do if I wanted to keep my family daily driver. Rotors and pads were almost at minimum depth.

I have only bedded them down on Friday. Seems good so far, low brake dust, silent so far and low fade during the bedding process (I did 100kph to 20kph 8 times). Notably pads came with new pins and cross clips. I know they aren't popular on the forums but they seemed good value and I was happy with my Stoptech BBK on my old A80.

Got them from from ECS with the BMW brake sensors.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-stoptech...34116778647gs/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-stoptech...16778649gs~tm/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-stoptech...309.13710~stp/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-stoptech...309.13720~stp/

What other mods did you do on top of these?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #13
johnny135
Australia
Rep

Thanks for that. I haven’t done any inlets, that’s all standard apart from charge pipe and BMS DCI. Been running MHD stage 2+ for awhile now, previously had a JB4 in it.

Front end also added E93 sway bar, and 1m strut bar. MCA XR coilovers have been in there close to 4 years now. Also done stereo refit, removed the standard non I drive deck and HK amp and installed my own Alpine dual din deck, Focal splits, 2 amps, sub. That was a mission

At the moment this is my family car, baby seat in the back! It can be done!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:43 AM   #14
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have been pretty happy with MHD so far, especially since its "concealed". JB4 might freak my inlaws and partner when they drive the car...

Do you find the sway (front and rear?) and strut bars made much of a difference?

Do the MCA coilovers work well at stock height? I don't really want to lower the car further as it feels a good height now. I feel like I will need a change once I replace the Runflats.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #15
johnny135
Australia
Rep

Front sway bar was an incremental change, seemed to flatten it out. Rear bar is stock. Biggest change will be getting rid of the run flats- difference in comfort alone is night and day.

Coilovers work well, only slightly lower than stock, although still low. I wouldn’t go any lower, it’s fine now to get in out car parks with no scraping or scrubbing with 18 225/255 tyres.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 12:54 AM   #16
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok, an update with a major complication...

Dual cone air intake filter replaced. Took a long time for AFE to get stock of the filters. I recommend people order them in advance as it took months before I got it.

Planning to take the car on track, and I know it gets pretty hot as it is. I ordered a CSF radiator and finally got around to installing it.

Ok, first thing everyone should know. Front silicone inlets do not fit with the CSF radiator as both use up the very little space between the radiator and the engine belt/pulleys. Either relocate your air intake or be prepared for some grief.

I worked out a solution of sorts for myself. I wouldn't recommend it as I am not sure if It is a 100% fix, but I basically had to hollow out additional space on my radiator fan shroud to give the hose more room and used zipties to hold it in this half cavity I made...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 11:33 AM   #17
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update:

Had Shockworks coilovers installed. FYI, I needed 8mm spacers (and longer bolts) to fit on stock fronts as my tyre was rubbing against the struts. Feels pretty good and am happy with these inverted strut design and adjustability.

Also got new Michelin Pilot Supersport 4 S tyres as well. Happy days.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 09:42 AM   #18
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got MFactory LSD clutch plate installed. Not sure if it was worth the cost TBH.

Also, relatively cheap custom forged Jova Wheels and Dicase BBK installed with Dot 5.1 fluid. Good experience overall but had fitment issues with rear brake bracket. Support was good though.

Tried to keep my sleeper as stock looking as possible, but the wheels/brakes are a bit of a giveaway at this point. I did stick to boring greys to blend in though...

Photo since its not so stock looking now...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 09:28 PM   #19
gerrit75
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 e88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppunkamui View Post
Also, relatively cheap custom forged Jova Wheels...
I love those wheels. What sizes are they? Is that a staggered setup?

Can I also ask about your experience getting the Jova wheels and how much you ended up paying all in?

I might give that a shot...
Appreciate 0