BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #1
Segments
Aspiring 1'er
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i

Steering Wheel Shake

Hey guys looking for opinions: Had a steering wheel shake and noticed wheel on highways would have to be slightly turned to the right to stay straight. On a residential street the wheel is usually straight. I had an allignment done, and from what I can remember the steering wheel shake was gone. Fast forward a few months and it's back. Where would you guys start? The fact that allignment fixes it makes me think it is not wheel related.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 10:28 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segments View Post
Hey guys looking for opinions: Had a steering wheel shake and noticed wheel on highways would have to be slightly turned to the right to stay straight. On a residential street the wheel is usually straight. I had an allignment done, and from what I can remember the steering wheel shake was gone. Fast forward a few months and it's back. Where would you guys start? The fact that allignment fixes it makes me think it is not wheel related.
Another member on here recently discovered that his steering wheel shake was due to a cracked weld on the front subframe... not saying it's that, and that is maybe the first time that specific issue was brought up on this forum, but... you never know I guess? Steering wheel out of center usually has to do with tie rods though since that's what controls the steering.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Normally (choosing that word carefully) shake is a wheel out of balance, next most common thing is a tire that's worn funny due to an alignment issue, After that it can be play in things like tie rods. That seems to be the normal order of likelihood.

Any chance you have the same size tires front and rear? If so, swap front and rear and see what changes. Or left / right as far as the direction it pulls (even if the tires are directional, you can still do this a while, it's not ideal but they won't blow up or anything).
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Segments
Aspiring 1'er
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Normally (choosing that word carefully) shake is a wheel out of balance, next most common thing is a tire that's worn funny due to an alignment issue, After that it can be play in things like tie rods. That seems to be the normal order of likelihood.

Any chance you have the same size tires front and rear? If so, swap front and rear and see what changes. Or left / right as far as the direction it pulls (even if the tires are directional, you can still do this a while, it's not ideal but they won't blow up or anything).
No but I have winter tires I can try. I was considering starting with a balance, but since allignment seems to temp fix it, I might start with tie rods.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Since the alignment seemed to correct it makes it a bit of a head scratcher but I would look at the front rotors, if they’re warped you will get steering shake but usually under braking. You can also feel the same with uneven pad transfer to rotors. If they’re warped, pad transfer badly you might feel it all the time underway.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0