BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #463
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I checked all the connections again and the boost accumulator hoses as per Peter's instructions and all appears good. I took it for a drive, only the second time with the oil cooler. It seemed to hit boost just fine, not sure what was different. I think possibly the JB4 was calibrating or adapting to the new oil cooler and thermostat during the first run? I have no idea.

Car seems to pull really hard, even had a bit of fun with a Ducati bike on the way home, think I caught him by surprise Straight after that run I went into limp though! Turns out it's an ongoing Vanos Solenoid issue that I've been having.

Also, I got a warning light for oil being low, and then later at minimum on the idrive. Never had the oil that low before! iDrive said to fill up with 1 litre of oil immediately. I went home and filled up with 1.3 litres of engine oil. I think I was down on oil mainly because a decent amount of the oil was still inside the stock oil cooler lines that were removed, plus I had a couple leaks initially because I didn't tighten all of the fittings when I started the car. All good now!

Updated the JB software, change the cold/hot oil protection to run off water temp instead and the car feels like a beast. Not sure if it's in my head or not but car seems to be pulling a lot harder. Seem to be breaking traction really easy... on a roll.

Temps seem to sit around 90-100 degrees celsius. Only gets up to 100 if I do a few pulls but it drops back to 95 fairly quickly. I can literally see the oil gauge needle moving. I have not had a chance to beat on it hard though, but I can already see a huge difference.

So far the oil cooler is doing it's job, very well too. I'll keep updating this thread as I put more km's on the car and see how it holds up. So far so good.
Good stuff Vinney.
That new firmware is insane. Let me put it this way Pavo couldn't feel the difference between map 5 and map 3 last week at the track it's that good.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #464
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Good stuff Vinney.
That new firmware is insane. Let me put it this way Pavo couldn't feel the difference between map 5 and map 3 last week at the track it's that good.
Never tried map 5 before but I'll give it a go tonight
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #465
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Never tried map 5 before but I'll give it a go tonight
Give it a go. I use to hate map 5. It was like map 1 but now it's even smarter and more aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #466
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: f32

In this case is map 5 better than map 1 on standard applications.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #467
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0123 View Post
In this case is map 5 better than map 1 on standard applications.
I would say yes nik. But you would need to log each map to see what your car prefers.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #468
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135
Quote:
I checked all the connections again and the boost accumulator hoses as per Peter's instructions and all appears good. I took it for a drive, only the second time with the oil cooler. It seemed to hit boost just fine, not sure what was different. I think possibly the JB4 was calibrating or adapting to the new oil cooler and thermostat during the first run? I have no idea.

Car seems to pull really hard, even had a bit of fun with a Ducati bike on the way home, think I caught him by surprise Straight after that run I went into limp though! Turns out it's an ongoing Vanos Solenoid issue that I've been having.

Also, I got a warning light for oil being low, and then later at minimum on the idrive. Never had the oil that low before! iDrive said to fill up with 1 litre of oil immediately. I went home and filled up with 1.3 litres of engine oil. I think I was down on oil mainly because a decent amount of the oil was still inside the stock oil cooler lines that were removed, plus I had a couple leaks initially because I didn't tighten all of the fittings when I started the car. All good now!

Updated the JB software, change the cold/hot oil protection to run off water temp instead and the car feels like a beast. Not sure if it's in my head or not but car seems to be pulling a lot harder. Seem to be breaking traction really easy... on a roll.

Temps seem to sit around 90-100 degrees celsius. Only gets up to 100 if I do a few pulls but it drops back to 95 fairly quickly. I can literally see the oil gauge needle moving. I have not had a chance to beat on it hard though, but I can already see a huge difference.

So far the oil cooler is doing it's job, very well too. I'll keep updating this thread as I put more km's on the car and see how it holds up. So far so good.
Good stuff Vinney.
Yeh but that is only (or I suspect) because meth is NOT flowing

Explains why you pulled on me up that hill
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #469
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

@Pavo.

Stop with that meth flow BS. I pulled on you cause my car is tuned better than yours. We have exactly the same mods but I was the heavier car and it was a hill too. Not to mention I let you kick down first and chased that 335 like a bitch. I love the real in.
Let me know when you would like a rematch. :
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #470
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135
@Pavo.

Stop with that meth flow BS. I pulled on you cause my car is tuned better than yours. We have exactly the same mods but I was the heavier car and it was a hill too. Not to mention I let you kick down first and chased that 335 like a bitch. I love the real in.
Let me know when you would like a rematch. :
: Edwin I was going to save you from this BUT what were your times at Wakefield again :

And really not home till 6.30 fark dude get a real job and get to the pub by 3!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #471
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Tried Map 5 on the way home. I noticed the car takes a bit longer to warm up now but I think it's partly due to the colder temps as it's freezing now. I pulled a 3.91 with an average launch. Map 5 definitely has some go. 2nd gear feels awesome, it pulls a lot harder to redline. I'll leave it on map 5 for tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #472
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:

Hey Vinney,

how did the oil cooler perform at the track day, care to share some running temps?

If so I would like to know the average oil temp and the maximum temp, when you were pushing the car hard and driving it "in anger".

Am I correct in assuming there were no oil temperature induced limp modes?

Also what was the ambient temperature and approximately what kind of power level, would you have expected to be putting down on the day?

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #473
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
Justin - if I recall correctly, temps hit 125 degrees momentarily but quickly came down to 120 degrees. The temps would range between 110-120 degrees for the most part, which is a decent result at this track. Also, keep in mind the temp conditions outside were 10 degrees cooler than my last day out at the track at 16.5 degrees which is ideal, imho. No oil temp related limp modes.

Hi Vinney,

thanks for the oil temperature track data, much appreciated.

I am pleased to hear your oil temps were significantly lower, following the installation of our stage 2 kit.

Obviously the much cooler ambient air conditions would have been of benefit too.

Do you happen to recall what were the maximum and average oil temps you saw at your previous track day pre-oil cooler install?

Lastly how much power would you estimate, your little beasty was making on the most recent track day?

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 06-16-2012 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #474
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
Justin - if I recall correctly, temps hit 125 degrees momentarily but quickly came down to 120 degrees. The temps would range between 110-120 degrees for the most part, which is a decent result at this track. Also, keep in mind the temp conditions outside were 10 degrees cooler than my last day out at the track at 16.5 degrees which is ideal, imho. No oil temp related limp modes.

Hi Vinney,

thanks for the oil temperature track data, much appreciated.

I am pleased to hear your oil temps were significantly lower, following the installation of our stage 2 kit.

Obviously the much cooler ambient air conditions would have been of benefit too.

Do you happen to recall what were the maximum and average oil temps you saw at your previous track day pre-oil cooler install?

Lastly how much power would you estimate, your little beasty was making on the most recent track day?

Cheers,

JD.
I've driven the car a bit more since then. I'm noticing the car takes a bit longer to warm up now. I assume this is because the thermostat is working as soon as you start the car? The highest temp I get on the street is 110 degrees, but this is only driving around town or in start/stop traffic. It does take at least 30 minutes of driving to get up to those temps though. On the highway it usually sits between 85-95 degrees. I don't ever recall hitting 120 degrees on the street and if I go to say 110-115 degrees, it drops back down to around 100 degrees fairly quickly. The conditions are a lot better as we are in winter but we've still had a few 18-19 degree days so it's not exactly freezing cold either.

The 'normal' range seems to be 90-110 degrees when the car is fully warmed up. Before, I would sit between 110-120 degees. The setup is definitely doing its job.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #475
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Can you do a kit with the stage 2 size cooler using the stock thermostat?

2011 BMW M3 - Mineral White - VF620 Supercharger - Gintani Sport Valved Exhaust - Harrop BBK - Arykym Front lip and Diffuser - KW Sleeve over kit - Forgestar CF5V Wheels
2009 BMW 135i - Space Grey - 11.841 @ 117.81mph - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #476
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha3l View Post
Can you do a kit with the stage 2 size cooler using the stock thermostat?
If that is what you want yes we can, but i don't recommend it best to chose our stage 1 or stage 2 as it is. As stage 1 is a street set up for FBO and stage 2 is for track day use with FBO.
regards Peter @ Advan

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 06-19-2012 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #477
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

What would be ideal in my opinion would be better cooling with the standard thermostat, but with a switch for track/hot use that would allow the thermostat to fully open straight away. I don't think such a "switch" should be too difficult to set up?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #478
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc
What would be ideal in my opinion would be better cooling with the standard thermostat, but with a switch for track/hot use that would allow the thermostat to fully open straight away. I don't think such a "switch" should be too difficult to set up?
+1 I'm not keen on having the thermostat that low for a car that's driven everyday

2011 BMW M3 - Mineral White - VF620 Supercharger - Gintani Sport Valved Exhaust - Harrop BBK - Arykym Front lip and Diffuser - KW Sleeve over kit - Forgestar CF5V Wheels
2009 BMW 135i - Space Grey - 11.841 @ 117.81mph - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:42 AM   #479
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha3l View Post
+1 I'm not keen on having the thermostat that low for a car that's driven everyday
Agree Michael. With the JB4 we may in the near future be able to enable or disable the oil thermostat to open and close via CAN commands (steering wheel controls) eliminating the need for upgrading your current setup for those that track the car every now and then.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #480
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

With the stage 2 advan kit, my car doesnt take any longer to heat up than before.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #481
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Agree Michael. With the JB4 we may in the near future be able to enable or disable the oil thermostat to open and close via CAN commands (steering wheel controls) eliminating the need for upgrading your current setup for those that track the car every now and then.
Sorry this cannot happen as the oil thermostat is a mechanical device controlled by oil temperature, there is no electronic connection there for there is no way that any DME not even a JB4 could control the oil temperature.
You should know this Edwin
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #482
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat
Quote:
Sorry this cannot happen as the oil thermostat is a mechanical device controlled by oil temperature, there is no electronic connection there for there is no way that any DME not even a JB4 could control the oil temperature.
You should know this Edwin
I should know but can't be expected to know everything Peter.
Maybe I can code up a mechanical link/trigger between the two. :
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #483
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Then perhaps it will be more difficult than I thought...
      06-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #484
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Finally installed my stage 1 kit last week. A few more hassles than I thought but Pete, Chris & Justin were available via phone & email to assist. Contact me before you attempt to install so I can pass on my hard earned lessons. Hopefully I get to drive a bit in the coming weeks so I can give some feedback.