BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-01-2021, 08:45 PM   #1
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: mostly NA, sometimes turbo

1m diff problem

Hi, how can you tell of your diff is going to worn out or not?
My car had 51k km on the clock, had the car since new and mostly on highway driving slowly. A week ago I changed my subframe and diff bushings and they realize that the right side seal is a bit wet( moist) not dropping at all, so they ordered a new seal(only one in stock) and replaced the right side and changed fluid, then I drove the car to do alignment which is around 35km distance and realize the left side is leaking badly onto the exhaust.
Does anyone know what is happening? The left side was perfectly dry, and after changing the right side, the left Is leaking badly

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtim View Post
Hi, how can you tell of your diff is going to worn out or not?
My car had 51k km on the clock, had the car since new and mostly on highway driving slowly. A week ago I changed my subframe and diff bushings and they realize that the right side seal is a bit wet( moist) not dropping at all, so they ordered a new seal(only one in stock) and replaced the right side and changed fluid, then I drove the car to do alignment which is around 35km distance and realize the left side is leaking badly onto the exhaust.
Does anyone know what is happening? The left side was perfectly dry, and after changing the right side, the left Is leaking badly

Thanks in advance
Not sure if you jostled something when changing bushings but those deals are 10 years old and they start to leak. I had mine replaced a year ago. Also only did the right side but possible left side could go too. I didn't know if maybe I just got a bad right side seal and it was a bit expensive so that's why I did just one side. If I would've read this today and it seems more likely both could go at the same time I might have preemptively changed both.

As to why all of sudden the left let go. It could just be coincidence or maybe whale changing bushings so new load could've been put in the halfshafts that made the 10 year old seal give out. This is a tough one. Sorry it happened. Luckily you caught before diff runs dry.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 10:39 PM   #3
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep

How can you check or tell if the diff is done or not? Shall I replaced the left seal and see how it goes? Or is my diff worn out and require a rebuild ?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 05:39 AM   #4
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

Is there a breather for the diff? Perhaps the breather is blocked? Diff fluid heats up when driving and creates pressure in diff and since you changed your right seal the left becomes the weak point. Happens with my defenders when axle breathers are blocked. Let us know.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 07:15 PM   #5
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 671rover View Post
Is there a breather for the diff? Perhaps the breather is blocked? Diff fluid heats up when driving and creates pressure in diff and since you changed your right seal the left becomes the weak point. Happens with my defenders when axle breathers are blocked. Let us know.
I asked the garage who changed my right side seals, and they said they didn't do a mark on the position when they remove the seals, I wonder if that could cause the problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 02:01 AM   #6
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

Marking the position of the seal wouldn't make any difference unless the seal has some sort of position it needs to go in. The breather I'm referring to is a vent for the differential. If the vent is blocked or obstructed then once the pressure builds up in you diff from heat, fluid will leak from the seals that are weak/old. You said you changed your right side seal, now that seal is nice and tight and if the breather/vent is blocked then it'll cause the fluid leak from other seals. And if you change your left seal and the breather/vent is still blocked then the pinion seal will probably leak.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 08:04 AM   #7
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
How can you check or tell if the diff is done or not? Shall I replaced the left seal and see how it goes? Or is my diff worn out and require a rebuild ?
It should be very obvious when the diff is bad.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2021, 12:52 PM   #8
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRTSB1M View Post
Quote:
It should be very obvious when the diff is bad.
Changed the seals and drove 30km with it, very dry, problem fixed, the old seal is very hard and worn out
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      10-06-2021, 05:53 PM   #9
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Changed the seals and drove 30km with it, very dry, problem fixed, the old seal is very hard and worn out
Glad you got it figured out I've read that the diff should be good mechanically until at least 70-80k miles, where some have reported (bearing?) failures in the shorter shaft/pump side of the factory GKN unit.
Appreciate 0