BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #1
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Need Advice: Store vs Sell 128i

Hey guys. Haven't been here in a long time, but if you've dug deep enough on the boards you've probably seen a few posts by me before. I'v been neck deep in an emergency medicine residency, and really haven't had time for car things.

My dilemma is that I just graduated my program, and will be moving to Japan in about two months for a period of three years. I'm in the military, so the move is paid for, but they will only ship or store one vehicle. I've already decided to get rid of our 4Runner - even though it's over eight years old and has close to 140,000 miles, CarMax is offering crazy money for it, more than half of what I paid for it. I've also got an older MR2 Spyder that just turned over 50,000 miles on the odometer - kind of a niche car, but there is enough of a community that I think I can find a buyer without too much trouble, especially considering the mileage, overall condition, etc.

That leaves me with the 128i. I've owned it since new. It's got around 72,000 miles on it and is overall in great shape - even though it's now 12 years old, it still turns heads and gets compliments, as recently as this morning at the tire shop. It's still fun as hell to drive, and I know it so well. I can't take it with me to Japan, but as I said, the government will pay to store it, but I'm just not sure how I feel about that. Three years is a long time to sit in a warehouse somewhere, although I think they start the engine, cycle the A/C, and move the car on a regular schedule. But still, I just wonder if it's asking for trouble somehow. Maybe I would be better off just letting it go.

On the down side, when I come back from Japan, this car will be impossible to replace, at least without spending a small fortune. If you own a 128i, you know very well that there aren't a lot of simple, driver-focused cars like this out there. Straight-6, naturally aspirated, manual transmission, manual seats, no big honkin' touch-screen, nice-feeling steering rack, the works. And, not to be a badge whore, but it's also a genuine made-in-Germany BMW, which means something to me.

If I were to buy a new car when I get back,something like the GR86 looks attractive and to be honest there is something appealing about having a newer car and just keeping it stock and not worrying about it too much, especially as I get a little older. Of course, a 4-cylinder Subaru engine is probably not as silky smooth as a BMW inline-6.

Another thing is, what could I even get for my car? It would be pretty frustrating to put it up for sale and end up with six or eight grand to show for it. I mean, at h that point I might as well keep it forever, except that maintenance costs are of course a never-ending expense (and who knows what three years of sitting un-driven will do).

Any thoughts or advice here?
      02-16-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Japan is wonderful, a bit envious of your time there!

I think you'd get decent money for your car given the market, however you'd get better money finding a true enthusiast that appreciates all you've done (I've followed your builds and there's lots of great stuff done). That however can take time which you don't have.

I would say this - the market for the 128i in 3 years time will probably still be good especially for a mint/enthusiast owned example. So risk wise you are good, I think you'll find a buyer easily if you want to sell later. If you miss the car and enjoy it in contrast to whatever your daily is in 3 years, then you have something you already love to drive.

So that really leaves the storage concerns - can't really comment on that but if you can get decent assurances and have a good insurance policy cover the car and all the extras at market rate maybe take the risk and store it...!

I'm biased towards the BMW vs the MR2 even though they are great cars....so I'd say sell the MR2!
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2022, 10:15 PM   #3
lvblkjack
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Sell it! And I know a buyer are you still in San Diego by chance?

I'm biased since insurance just totaled my 135i after it got rear ended recently. I need a car soon before they cut my rental - let's talk!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 10:41 PM   #4
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvblkjack View Post
Sell it! And I know a buyer are you still in San Diego by chance?

I'm biased since insurance just totaled my 135i after it got rear ended recently. I need a car soon before they cut my rental - let's talk!
I am in San Diego. Wasn't expecting interest so soon, lol.

Full transparency - this car has catless headers and may not pass CA emissions. It's currently registered in WA so I don't have to mess with that.
      02-17-2022, 01:56 PM   #5
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

It seems like manual 128s are getting more and more desirable as time goes on... when they were new, the 135i took the spotlight... but now that higher HP turbo cars are the norm, the more old-school N/A BMW experience is becoming more sought after and harder to find. Even if it's lower on power and slower in a straight line, the overall driving experience is special. To your point, the new BRZ/GR86 is one of the few cars that lives on with that same concept.

I don't think the value of your car is going to drop over the next 3 years... If the current trend continues it will probably rise in value. So you are probably right, that buying another 128 will be cost prohibitive.

In my opinion, if you are getting free storage for the 3 years, I would keep it. I bet you'll appreciate the car even more after being away from it for 3 years.. and if you change your mind when you get back, It will probably sell for even more than it will today.
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2022, 02:06 PM   #6
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Keep it, keep it. Three years is nothing. Rob Siegel has often brought back to life 10 year old cars that had no special preparation prior. Fresh brake fluid, coolant, tranny, engine oil, best high test gas, full tank [with stabilizer or Seafoam] "no damp" on inside, protection against rodents. Don't drive it or even start the engine.
They don't make them like this anymore.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2022, 02:18 PM   #7
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
this car has catless headers and m̶a̶y̶ will not pass CA emissions.
FTFY
      02-17-2022, 02:26 PM   #8
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
It seems like manual 128s are getting more and more desirable as time goes on... when they were new, the 135i took the spotlight... but now that higher HP turbo cars are the norm, the more old-school N/A BMW experience is becoming more sought after and harder to find. Even if it's lower on power and slower in a straight line, the overall driving experience is special. To your point, the new BRZ/GR86 is one of the few cars that lives on with that same concept.

I don't think the value of your car is going to drop over the next 3 years... If the current trend continues it will probably rise in value. So you are probably right, that buying another 128 will be cost prohibitive.

In my opinion, if you are getting free storage for the 3 years, I would keep it. I bet you'll appreciate the car even more after being away from it for 3 years.. and if you change your mind when you get back, It will probably sell for even more than it will today.
Thanks for the insight - those are some good points. I guess I don't have much to lose if the storage is free.

Does anyone have any experience with long-term storage? The vehicle must be turned in clean with fresh fluids and battery and no open recalls, and it will have the engine started, be moved, and have the A/C cycled every 30 days. If any need for maintenance or repair is identified, I will be contacted to approve the work. Seems reasonably thorough.
      02-17-2022, 02:27 PM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
FTFY
Haha, I was being optimistic.
      02-17-2022, 02:28 PM   #10
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Keep it, keep it. Three years is nothing. Rob Siegel has often brought back to life 10 year old cars that had no special preparation prior. Fresh brake fluid, coolant, tranny, engine oil, best high test gas, full tank [with stabilizer or Seafoam] "no damp" on inside, protection against rodents. Don't drive it or even start the engine.
They don't make them like this anymore.
Fair - I think I probably would regret the sale come three years from now.
      02-17-2022, 08:25 PM   #11
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Game over man, I'd recommend parting out. Dibs on the PE.

Be it for the investment or just the love of the car, I'd say storage is worth it. These cars are only gonna appreciate (especially the manuals), and ya don't know what you've got til' its gone. Even tho a rod went out for some air I still regret selling my old NB Miata and that thing was the definition of a shitbox. Short of all of the (prohibitively expensive) Singer/Guntherwerks/RUF/etc. air-cooled Porsches, there's never gonna be a new car that follows a formula similar to what these cars have.

My only concern would be the level of attention and quality of care given to the car. I'd be sure to give it a though inspection when you pick it up.

Godspeed my dude. Had family stationed at Yokota not too long ago and they loved it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 10:01 AM   #12
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

Keep it, and prep extremely well for storage - Or, maybe you have a friend who will "buy" it from you for the next 3 years and keep it exercised without putting too many miles on her
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 02:59 PM   #13
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
I'm with the "keep it" crew. You know the deal - there aren't any more N/A straight 6's. If you like the analog experience, these are the last of them. You've already done the work. If you can control the storage, even better. Not a fan of starting cars during storage - condensation in the engine, exhaust, oil if not driven at least 1/2 hr. Full of fresh fluids, 3 years is not a problem.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2022, 01:55 PM   #14
Dru128m
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 128i E82 & 09 328i E93

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328I E93  [0.00]
Don't let it go. The mechanical parts won't care, I would worry about the leather and rubber bits drying out, condition them all real good before storing.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 01:47 PM   #15
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
If you're not in need of the money, and really like the car (which i know you do!), I'd keep it. Like others said, 3 years ain't that bad to store a car, it might go up in value considering what it is (last of BMW I6 6mt with very tasteful and desirable mods). What's the deal with how it's stored? Can someone come by and drive it around every once in a while?

I've contemplated selling my car but I know I wont even get enough money to replace the damn thing considering mine has a rebuilt title so it's just not worth it, I enjoy driving it too much
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 10:34 PM   #16
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
By all means, keep it!
      03-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #17
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

When my 128i hit 150k miles, I sold it for 8k. If I could have placed an order for another brand new 128i, I would have done it in a heart beat. But I can’t, and the thought of getting into another 128i with decade old plastics and bushings deterred me.

I replaced the 128i with an ND Miata and even though I love the Miata for everything that it is, I miss the in-line 6 of the 128i. The heavy, loaded steering. The build quality. The stability on high speed highway journeys.

If you sell it, you won’t find another like it.
If you’re looking to sell, I’ll buy it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #18
Sedona
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i manual, coupe

Keep!

Agree with others who say keep your 128i. It sounds like you have a great no cost storage setup, plus you'll have options for the future whether you want to drive it or sell it. And just think for a moment about not having it - I am getting choked up FOR you! Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 12:28 AM   #19
Killswitch
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I say keep your 128i. I was on the verge of selling mine but decided not to. It was in the garage collecting saw dust for the past 5 years. Getting married, having kids, purchasing family cars push the 128 on the side and the e30 unfortunately.

I can tell you, the past two months have been very interesting taking apart the car and still putting it all back. Yes, things were falling apart - still need alot more work but I'm so glad I didn't get rid of it.

Put in storage and wait. Yes you may need to address some things when coming back but just imagine turning the engine and taking a ride in your 128i after 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #20
One28i
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1

They don't make them like they used too. if you know of a friend who can be entrust to keep her in good working condition, storage at tough on a ride. just my $0.05 CAD.

all the best brother!
      04-25-2024, 11:17 PM   #21
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, I'm back from Japan (a year earlier than expected), and boy am I glad I kept the 128i! I loved Japan but spent the last two years driving around a 2006 Honda Fit and the 128i feels like a goddamn rocketship in comparison, LOL.

But seriously, it's still such a pleasure to drive, even after all these years. Now that I think about it, I took delivery of this car 14 YEARS ago, this month. Wild. Anyway, I think after all the blood, sweat, and tears I put into this car I will probably always hold onto it, even if not as my main DD.

Car seemed to do well in storage. I had every single fluid changed right before it went in, plus a full detail. I picked the car up 6 weeks ago now and no issues really, other than a nagging intermittent bulb-out error. Tracked it down to the right cornering lamp, and it occurs to me that I've never changed those before, so I guess it's about time. Oh, and the fuel cap tether broke somehow, and there is some bubbling of the matte finish on the steering wheel and peeling on the center console (both of which started before I stored the car).

So I will probably make a little list and start knocking things out when I get time. I'm still moving back into my house and don't even have any of my furniture back yet, much less my tools. The car is going into the shop next week and having the suspension replaced - swapping out the original Öhlins Road & Track kit with the "new" updated version, which I've been meaning to do for years. I figured I should jump on it before the kits are impossible to find, and I think a suspension refresh will feel like a pretty significant improvement at this point.
mkeiser435.50