BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
MPFit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i CSM

Dealership questions with ED (first time car buyer)

Hi, I have never purchased a car in my life. And my parents don't have any idea of european deliver, not to mention they have enough money that every car they've bought in the past ten years was with a check.. So financing help isn't great either.

I'm 24 with no debt or any expenses aside from rent and livings costs.. I make just under 70k/year. I have my eyes on a European Delivery 135..

I have read just about every website/ description of how to do ED, which makes sense for me to do seeing as I go to Germany every summer with my family to visit relatives (So food and place to stay expenses are also eliminated with the ED option) To me it seems like the perfect way to get my first car!

My questions are regarding dealerships: I read that I have to find a dealership here in Florida to work with-- I'm unsure why? Will the car be delivered to the dealership? I will most likely finance through BMW also. My downpayment will be in the 12-20k range to drop my monthly payments. I read that asking around dealerships for 1000$ over their invoice is a solid way to find a dealership to finance with?

Sorry for any ignorance, its so new to me: and I plan on placing an order in January - March next year so I can make my grandmothers birthday for the pickup..

What fees are to be expected (I read MACO and others are waived).. What about options? I want the value and sound packages-- are they dealer priced or invoice priced as well?

Thanks in advance sorry for the essay!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

European Delivery is a fantastic way to get your car. BMW has a program that does offer a decent discount, with pricing lower than retail. It kind of depends on which model chosen.

The price you pay includes shipping to the US dealer of your choice, I think, all the fees and taxes, etc. Once your car is ready, you fly to Munich and the Delivery Center. They give you lunch, help program the car, give you a tour of the factory (if you are there on the English tour day) and send you on your way. After a 1200 or so mile break-in period, you can drive full speed on the autobahns! It was awesome, we picked up a 1991 318is. That car is still in the family, driven by my cousin. Two other friends have done ED too, and both had excellent experiences with it. It doesn't matters which dealer you purchase from, the price will be the same. If you want to finance BMW was offering 1.9 percent loans, quite a good deal.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

And... don't forget you can also do the American Delivery too! PCD! Performance Center Delivery in SC at BMW NA's factory. After ED BMW will ship your car to SC, you get to go thru a little track school and the small museum there. It sounds cool. Then you just drive your car home. No local dealer involvment.

Here is a link.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...&highlight=PCD

Good Luck,
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
The European Delivery forum on Bimmerfest has the most information on European delivery. The ED experience is fantastic.

You can purchase the car through any dealer you like. There are dealers who sponsor the European Delivery forum on Bimmerfest and are known to be easy to deal with. Theoretically you can have your car sent to your local dealer as a "courtesy delivery" for a small charge, but I have never heard of anyone who has actually done this. As another poster suggested you could do ED, then have the car sent to the BMW Performance Center, take a driving class, and then drive home.

I chose to buy my ED 128i through a local dealer. I paid a little more than I could have, but had the convenience of a local delivery.
      09-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
MPFit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

PCD sounds like a great way to finish off my first time buying experience! Thank you so much for pointing it out to me!

Unfortunately, my confusion still stands with the dealership!
If I do ED, then ship it to SC for the PCD pick-up, it seems like I am bypassing dealerships!
So my questions still stand: Why is there a need for me to go through a local dealer to get the car?

Am I correct in assuming that the only reason I need to visit and associate with a local dealer is for the payment plans/financing?

So to sum up: I would go to a dealer, try to get a good deal using the invoice price, place the order, finance WITH my local dealer, then complete the ED and PCD-- with payments still going through my local dealer even though they have never seen or touched the car I have bought "through them"??
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Correct. The dealer is just the middle man. Because you never have to technically step foot in the dealership when doing a PCD, you're free to work with any dealer in the country.

I ended up with a great sales person in Georgia and can PM you his details if you're interested. Great to work with, knew the process well and gave me the best price I could find, even when dealing with 'forum sponsors'.

I'll be doing my PCD this weekend to finish the ED+PCD experience and I can't wait!!

The ED was an absolute blast! You won't regret it.
      09-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPFit View Post
PCD sounds like a great way to finish off my first time buying experience! Thank you so much for pointing it out to me!
Just make sure you understand that it is not your car that you will be driving on the track, it is one of theirs. People that have done PCD don't seem to mind this, but it is why I have no interest. I have heard of 128 buyers driving 135s, verts driving coups, and M3 buyers with 335s. Just not my idea of an "excellent" experience as I would want to come away knowing how MY car handles at the limit of my abilities. I do understand why they do it, it just means that it doesn't hold my interest as I'll instead just wait and take it through my local chapter's Auto-X class.

Quote:
Unfortunately, my confusion still stands with the dealership!
If I do ED, then ship it to SC for the PCD pick-up, it seems like I am bypassing dealerships!
So my questions still stand: Why is there a need for me to go through a local dealer to get the car?
If you opt for PCD, then no there is no need to work with a local dealer in that regard unless you are going to have the car shipped home from SC (then I believe you have to have a dealer to deliver it to).

One thing to think about, however, is what happens if you end up with problems. Yes any BMW has to do warranty repairs and you have legal backing in an extreme (lemon) case, but in my experience (in general, not specific to BMW) dealers are more receptive to helping you out if you bought the car from them. That's not always true though, so it's just something to consider.

I would also say, in my opinion, that if you've already gone to a local dealer and talked to them for test drives and to get more info on the car, then you should probably go through them unless they've treated you badly in some way.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

There's a thread on one of the M3 forums with a dealer who will do ED for invoice + a small fee.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
MPFit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks gnat, definately sound advice.. I read that I wouldn't be driving my car on the track which wasn't a big deal to me- I would prefer to pick the car up locally as well just for convenience..
I will look for that thread you mentioned saeyedoc, thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

www.eurocarsonline.com
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
mcurl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
The European Delivery forum on Bimmerfest has the most information on European delivery. The ED experience is fantastic.
You should definitely check out the Bimmerfest European Delivery forum. They maintain a Wiki there that will cover pretty much anything you need to know and there are plenty of people on that board who are very familiar with the process. (Read the wki first though.)

Each dealer can set their own price so it does make a difference where you go. Many dealers don't like to do Euro Delivery sales because they don't get back-end profit on them. It helps to work with a CA who has experience with Euro Delivery.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
j128i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 128i Coupe AW/Black

To do ED, you choose the dealer give you best deal,

if it is remote then you go through all processing including ED paper work and payment with the CA in remote dealer. You deal with the bank for monthly payment.
If you also choose to do re-delivery at Performance center in SC after ED, you basically ba-passed your local dealer in whole purchasing process.
You then just may go to local dealer for service (they may not provide you loaner car though. Check it out).
If you choose to do re-delivery at your local dealer, you need to talk, may have a fee.

I used the local dealer for ED and re-delivery. I'll do PCD if I have chance to go ED in the future.