BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #45
B777flyboy
Private First Class
B777flyboy's Avatar
27
Rep
192
Posts

Drives: 135i carbon black
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boston, ma

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 Bmw 135  [0.00]
33 and never owned an auto. Never will if I have anything to say about it. Friend is 27 and mt all the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #46
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
327
Rep
10,710
Posts

Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnόgen/NY

iTrader: (0)

Of the two 1ers that ive owned one is an automatic and the other was a single speed.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #47
saace7
Private
United_States
6
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: OneThreeFive
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the world

iTrader: (0)

26

My e46 was a 6sp... this thread makes me miss my MT.



135 with the silly paddle shifters. It's fun, but it limits it to being strictly a "road car". there isn't much room to do "bad" things in it with out taring it up.

When shopping for my 1er, i was really limited to time because of work and I was in a rental. Forced me into a auto. Idk, maybe one day I can do a swap?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #48
davis449
Captain
United_States
406
Rep
878
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW Z4 SDrive35i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saace7 View Post
26

My e46 was a 6sp... this thread makes me miss my MT.



135 with the silly paddle shifters. It's fun, but it limits it to being strictly a "road car". there isn't much room to do "bad" things in it with out taring it up.

When shopping for my 1er, i was really limited to time because of work and I was in a rental. Forced me into a auto. Idk, maybe one day I can do a swap?
Oh really? In what way exactly does it limit the car to just being a "road car". Got any facts to back up that broad statement concerning limitations being placed on what you can do with the car due to it having an automatic (aside from it shifting for you to make sure you don't blow the engine up) or the "fact" that they're easily "tared" up? I guess all manual transmissions are bulletproof, right? I guess those silly guys at Porsche shouldn't trust their PDK's at a track racing around all day...oh wait, but they do because they let complete fucking amateurs race them (PDK equipped 911 C2S models and Cayman's) around at Barber Motorsport. BTW, I asked those instructors back in 2010 (who race cars professionally) what they preferred. The majority said the PDK. Most common reason given: "I can better concentrate on my driving and my track line rather than having to deal with the manual trans. gear changes". Does that mean AT's are better? Certainly not...it's opinion.

Trust me man, if your post is truly what you think, you're the limiting factor, not your car's automatic trans. God, I hate ignorance.
__________________
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Dinan Stage II
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #49
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Kgolf31's Avatar
365
Rep
4,574
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (4)

23 - MT

Been driving manual since 15. Haven't owned a car that was automatic yet
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #50
2012_135i
Lieutenant
2012_135i's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
469
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

65 - MT

I learned to drive on a manual, a 3-speed on the column, back in the mid sixties when they still had driver ed classes. I had a choice to learn on an automatic or a manual and chose the manual because I figured if I learned that I could drive anything. It was one of the better decisions in my life.

Hard to say these days whether more older or younger folks drive sticks. I would go with older just because manual transmissions used to be a lot more prevalent than today, there were practical reasons to be MT capable, auto transmissions used to generally suck, and MTs used to be the clear performance choice. But a lot has changed since then.
__________________
2012 135i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #51
saace7
Private
United_States
6
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: OneThreeFive
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the world

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Oh really? In what way exactly does it limit the car to just being a "road car". Got any facts to back up that broad statement concerning limitations being placed on what you can do with the car due to it having an automatic (aside from it shifting for you to make sure you don't blow the engine up) or the "fact" that they're easily "tared" up? I guess all manual transmissions are bulletproof, right? I guess those silly guys at Porsche shouldn't trust their PDK's at a track racing around all day...oh wait, but they do because they let complete fucking amateurs race them (PDK equipped 911 C2S models and Cayman's) around at Barber Motorsport. BTW, I asked those instructors back in 2010 (who race cars professionally) what they preferred. The majority said the PDK. Most common reason given: "I can better concentrate on my driving and my track line rather than having to deal with the manual trans. gear changes". Does that mean AT's are better? Certainly not...it's opinion.

Trust me man, if your post is truly what you think, you're the limiting factor, not your car's automatic trans. God, I hate ignorance.
Did I hurt your feelings or something??
Calm down turbo...

Like you said it's about opinion and I simply stated mine... why are your panties in a bundle?

It's not about which is better, its about the application you will use it for, the driver just has more control of what he/she is doing in a manual. Not going to lie, when it's wet out I like to get a little side wides here and there. In manual mode the car will shift it self when closing on the red line compared to a manual where I can choose to hold that gear. You obviously missed what I was trying to say or are a troll because you use racing as your example but that only backs up what I am saying. When I say "road car" I mean any car on the road used for spirited driving or road racing.. When It comes to drifting, the auto wouldn't be my first choice. This is why I like my auto for the most part because it limits me to how much i am willing to abuse my car as i can only power slide (no dumping clutch's for extra fun).. When it comes to road racing, I would take this auto over a 6sp all day!!

Last edited by saace7; 09-30-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #52
firokzz
just another 1addict
firokzz's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 135i, grey, convertible, stick
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

I'm 18 and drive 135i manual
__________________
Brutus
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #53
JB007
Private First Class
JB007's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW135i MSport 6 Speed
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Qc, Canada

iTrader: (0)

40, MT. Will always drive a MT unless someone cuts my legs off.
Wife 40' drives an SUV with a 5 speed MT. Those are extremely rare.
__________________
2013 BMW 135i MSport Edition, Alpine White, 6 speed manual, Coral Red leather, Sound Package, Premium Package, Alarm, BMW Perf black kidneys, Tint (20%rear, 50% sides), XPel Ultimate full front end and side skirts, H8 PIAA Plasma Ion yellow bulbs
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #54
davis449
Captain
United_States
406
Rep
878
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW Z4 SDrive35i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saace7 View Post
Did I hurt your feelings or something??
Calm down turbo...

Like you said it's about opinion and I simply stated mine... why are your panties in a bundle?

It's not about which is better, its about the application you will use it for, the driver just has more control of what he/she is doing in a manual. Not going to lie, when it's wet out I like to get a little side wides here and there. In manual mode the car will shift it self when closing on the red line compared to a manual where I can choose to hold that gear. You obviously missed what I was trying to say or are a troll because you use racing as your example but that only backs up what I am saying. When I say "road car" I mean any car on the road used for spirited driving or road racing.. When It comes to drifting, the auto wouldn't be my first choice. This is why I like my auto for the most part because it limits me to how much i am willing to abuse my car as i can only power slide (no dumping clutch's for extra fun).. When it comes to road racing, I would take this auto over a 6sp all day!!
I jumped your shit for good cause. NOWHERE in your post did you have the words "in my opinion". So I sought to discern whether you're seriously inept at expressing your opinions (which you are because no one could possibly infer any of your clarification post above from what you originally posted as a response in this thread) or truly believe your opinions are facts.

Furthermore, my using racing as an example makes me a troll in the same way you believing drifting to be an actual automobile racing sport makes you one.
__________________
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Dinan Stage II
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #55
saace7
Private
United_States
6
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: OneThreeFive
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the world

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I jumped your shit for good cause. NOWHERE in your post did you have the words "in my opinion". So I sought to discern whether you're seriously inept at expressing your opinions (which you are because no one could possibly infer any of your clarification post above from what you originally posted as a response in this thread) or truly believe your opinions are facts.

Furthermore, my using racing as an example makes me a troll in the same way you believing drifting to be an actual automobile racing sport makes you one.

Lol you are so silly.

Did i say anything like that in bold? All I said was, when it rains, i like to do a little sliding and that it is easier to control with a manual..
If something this simple bothers you that much... I feel sorry for you almighty forum god...

now lets get back on topic.

Last edited by saace7; 09-30-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #56
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
3032
Rep
5,437
Posts

Drives: A little blue coupe
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Golden State

iTrader: (0)

__________________

2011 E82 N55 135i ///M Sport • 7-SP DCT • LeMans Blue/Black Boston Leather
Dinan S2 & PPK • BMW PS • BMW PE • 313s • Blacklines • Black & Chrome Grilles • Pirelli P Zeros 225/255
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #57
dans135i
Enlisted Member
dans135i's Avatar
2
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i Space gray M options
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Socal

iTrader: (0)

Wheres my popcorn??

I am 58 , driven manuals all my life , until now. I have driven in enough traffic to really appreciate having the DCT. I was also very impressed with how quickly and smoothly it shifts. I also own a modified 73 Porsche track car and understand the control aspect of a manual on the track , but in manual mode/paddles the 1er is really good.

BTW, you can turn DTC off if you want to do bad things as you say... I really also do not understand the derogatory "just a road car"... and you include road racing??

Anyway, no offense intended but your statement didnt make sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #58
Alow
Lieutenant
Alow's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: 09 128i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (3)

My manual is better than your manual :P
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #59
saace7
Private
United_States
6
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: OneThreeFive
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the world

iTrader: (0)

I know about the DTC... I think everyone does. I just used a term "road car" as a way to describe the auto being great for the road.. driving, driving in the twisties, racing, where gears are constantly needing to be shifted. Compared to drifting, where a manual for me, personally, as an OPINION would work for me better. Didn't think it would get blown out of proportion like this.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #60
CincyOne
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: AW 135i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (0)

67 - 4 manuals
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #61
Huecifer
Private First Class
8
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Guys, guys...we're not mad you drive an automatic, we're just glad that we don't.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #62
Huecifer
Private First Class
8
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Oh, and 30 MT
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 03:28 AM   #63
Kreed
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: 2013 AW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

45 - DCT I went auto because knee couldn't handle the traffic, drove manuals all my life until this car, manual feels archaic/unnecessary now. *IMO*
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 04:50 AM   #64
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
3032
Rep
5,437
Posts

Drives: A little blue coupe
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Golden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreed View Post
45 - DCT I went auto because knee couldn't handle the traffic, drove manuals all my life until this car, manual feels archaic/unnecessary now. *IMO*
Damn! Now I'm starting to feel archaic and unnecessary.

__________________

2011 E82 N55 135i ///M Sport • 7-SP DCT • LeMans Blue/Black Boston Leather
Dinan S2 & PPK • BMW PS • BMW PE • 313s • Blacklines • Black & Chrome Grilles • Pirelli P Zeros 225/255
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #65
Gray_Panther
Colonel
Gray_Panther's Avatar
659
Rep
2,547
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449
Quote:
Originally Posted by saace7 View Post
26

My e46 was a 6sp... this thread makes me miss my MT.



135 with the silly paddle shifters. It's fun, but it limits it to being strictly a "road car". there isn't much room to do "bad" things in it with out taring it up.

When shopping for my 1er, i was really limited to time because of work and I was in a rental. Forced me into a auto. Idk, maybe one day I can do a swap?
Oh really? In what way exactly does it limit the car to just being a "road car". Got any facts to back up that broad statement concerning limitations being placed on what you can do with the car due to it having an automatic (aside from it shifting for you to make sure you don't blow the engine up) or the "fact" that they're easily "tared" up? I guess all manual transmissions are bulletproof, right? I guess those silly guys at Porsche shouldn't trust their PDK's at a track racing around all day...oh wait, but they do because they let complete fucking amateurs race them (PDK equipped 911 C2S models and Cayman's) around at Barber Motorsport. BTW, I asked those instructors back in 2010 (who race cars professionally) what they preferred. The majority said the PDK. Most common reason given: "I can better concentrate on my driving and my track line rather than having to deal with the manual trans. gear changes". Does that mean AT's are better? Certainly not...it's opinion.

Trust me man, if your post is truly what you think, you're the limiting factor, not your car's automatic trans. God, I hate ignorance.
Are you mad cuz u got stuck with an AT?
__________________
2012 BMW 128i 6MT Deep Sea Blue Metallic
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #66
e36addict
Captain
United_States
87
Rep
900
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tim @ BMW of Dallas

iTrader: (5)

The DCT is my daily (26) and it's lovely. However, I could never not own a manual car at any point.. I have two others to keep me entertained
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST