BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
kerry431
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i coupe

Rear Ender

Hi all, well I just had a rear ender which pushed me into the suv in front of me. I had just got my 2009 135i a month and a half ago. It was pristine and had only 28,000 km on it (18,000 miles) and not a mark on it. My damages are totaling around $11,000 and boy am I just sick about it.
While my 1 is getting fixed I was wondering what upgrades you would do as the front bumper, hood, grille and headlights are toast as well as the back bumper and taillights.
It will take about 2 weeks to get my car back and also if I ever want to sell it I will have to now declare the damage that was done to it, you just can't win.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry431 View Post
Hi all, well I just had a rear ender which pushed me into the suv in front of me. I had just got my 2009 135i a month and a half ago. It was pristine and had only 28,000 km on it (18,000 miles) and not a mark on it. My damages are totaling around $11,000 and boy am I just sick about it.
While my 1 is getting fixed I was wondering what upgrades you would do as the front bumper, hood, grille and headlights are toast as well as the back bumper and taillights.
It will take about 2 weeks to get my car back and also if I ever want to sell it I will have to now declare the damage that was done to it, you just can't win.
It shouldn't be a big deal unless it's frame damage. If so, you will likely take a hit on resale. That happened to me (rear-ended with frame damage). Mine is a lease, but I was planning on buying it out at the end of the lease. I won't do that now, because BMW NA won't cut me a deal on buyout price and I don't want to get left holding the bag for diminished value, so I will give it back.
In your case, you could try to pursue a diminished value claim against the other guy's insurance, but be prepared for a fight and you will have to show a clear difference in resale values between previously damaged cars and clean cars, especially in your specific make and model. Simply saying "everybody knows it diminishes value" will not be sufficient.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Are you sure the insurance company won't total it? I believe that many will total a car if the damage is over 70% of the value of the car (sometimes it's less than that). And if the accident wasn't your fault (therefore not your insurance company), they may be more cooperative - the claim isn't settled until they cut you a check, and you cash it. They may also not know the extent of the damage until they start taking the car apart, and then realize there is frame damage, etc. Were it me, I'd push for the car to be totaled, and go look for another one.
      10-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
kerry431
Rep

The frame is fine so there is no chance to have it totaled. It is just my luck I guess. At least I can do a few mods now though.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry431
The frame is fine so there is no chance to have it totaled. It is just my luck I guess. At least I can do a few mods now though.
What did you pay for it? Are the repairs being done at a BMW shop? If you have $11k in damage, it might put the "totaling" threshold at about $16-18k, depending upon how they view it
      10-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
kerry431
Rep

It is mostly cosmetic damage and it is being done at a BMW shop, I paid $23k for the car a few month ago and as I said it was pristine and had only 18k on it. It is now being fixed and I should get it in another week and a half. I am checking on getting blackline taillights but will leave the chrome grille as I think I like it better.
Does anyone know if the blacklines are PnP?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 02:23 AM   #7
amyracecar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 '97 328is, E82 '11 128is

make sure you ask for diminished value [see link below] - b/c even w/o frame damage you WILL take a hit on price when you sell or trade b/c accident is on the car fax and is def. more than a fender bender..

http://www.farmersinsurancegroupsuck...formation.html

SOOO SOOO Sorry - Some dipshit fucked up and struck the rear of my baby 128 this past weekend - totally his fault and at least is accepting responsiblity and even has insurance to cover it all! - She too was pristine and at 26K miles was treated like a princess but lukily i got hit by a 3 series [also spacegrey metallic.... hmm...] so it was low enough to only wreck the bumper, PDC, and we will see what else when we take it apart.

I am dealing w/ GEICO and they have a whole dep to deal with diminished value and since she was so perfect I am going to go for the jugular - fucker - [no i am not bitter ]

I would be concerned about front end damage - any intrusion into the engine bay?
I had a Honda that had "odd" effects from a similar collision [being pushed into..] after the fact but were def. from the impact - luckily they were honest and so we worked it out
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
kerry431
Rep

I was just at the body shop this morning to see what they had discovered and thankfully it is just cosmetic. Nothing was pushed into the engine bay and everything is just plug in. I need both headlights, bumper, grille and rear bumper plus taillights.
I live in BC so we have government insurance (ugh) and they wont consider diminished value so I am stuck with the problem.
I am looking into getting the "Blackline taillights" but they are not sure at this point if they will be available.
I feel for you on this and if you are anything like me, I just baby this car and give it a polish on a nightly basis.
Appreciate 0