E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Picked Up My 330i

05-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #1
sierramadre
Rep
Drives:

Picked Up My 330i

Took delivery last night. (330i, Black Saphire, Black leather, Aluminum Trim, SP, CWP, PP, Auto, Nav, Sat. Radio).

It is a very fine automobile. Braking and handling are world class. The engine performance is breathtaking although I'm still learning how to negotiate the DBW system and the best way to launch the vehicle. It takes a little getting used to.

The build quality is superb and the interior materials are much higher quality than I expected. It's an understated dash but very elegant, particularly at night with the distinctive ambient lighting.

A couple of things that need to be worked out. The RDS system for the FM radio does not seem to work with the IDrive. Others who have experienced the same problem have stated it is a software issue that can be corrected with an update. Another oddity, when you lock the vehicle, you can program the lights to flash but not the horn to beep which is contrary to the manual. With the Idrive, there is supposed to be an option screen for the audio confirmation but its not there. Might be another software issue. I'm dissapointed the Idrive doesn't allow you to control the heated seats like the 5 series. Again, a relatively small annoyance.

I haven't owned a BMW in several years but I'm a little surprised that you can't program the headlamps to stay on automatically for a period of time when you leave the vehicle. They will stay on if you hit the stalk that controls the high beams. By the way the LED lights that are in the door handles are fantastic. They provide a beautiful and useful light for all 4 doors.

The voice activated system works well and is fairly intuitive. The Idrive is a little less intuitive but I like it and after a couple of hours of experimenting, its becoming more fun and less of a chore. The Nav system also is fairly easy to use and while not as sophisticated as some other systems, its still a very useful feature.

The stereo system has been one area that has been most improved. The sound quality is remarkably clean and crisp. Coupled with the satellite radio, it is a very nice package.

I'll post some pictures this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Thanks for an informative review. I'm getting a very similar car with the exception of the trim being dark wood and manual transmission. It's interesting how most people are getting aluminum trim... I really like the pictures I saw of that combo, but I feel that the overall look can be a little "cold" and thought the wood trim would give a little warmth to the car, I hope I'm not wrong and hope I like it when I see it.

Good luck with getting the software updates. I thought the process at the dealer in preparing the car is supposed to do some of those, but maybe I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
sierramadre
Rep
Drives:

I think you'll be very happy with the wood. It makes the interior look a little richer and luxurious.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
Jon_Hanson
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre
I haven't owned a BMW in several years but I'm a little surprised that you can't program the headlamps to stay on automatically for a period of time when you leave the vehicle. They will stay on if you hit the stalk that controls the high beams. By the way the LED lights that are in the door handles are fantastic. They provide a beautiful and useful light for all 4 doors.
I'm pretty sure you can make the lights stay on after you leave the car for a predetermined amount of time. Check the "pathway lighting" setting in iDrive. I read through the manual (I won't be getting the car until the fall) and saw it in there. I believe that you can program for how long you want the lights to stay on as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
configif
Rep
Drives: 06 JetBlack 330i

I have a black interior with the Burr Walnut, and it just looks fantastic. The aluminum looks great as well, but I had that on my last car... so a change was in order. Either way the interior of a e90 is a nice place to be if you are stuck in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2005, 10:59 PM   #6
audionet1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 550i M Sport, 22 M5 Comp

I admit, being stuck in traffic isn't as bad with iDrive... gives you something to "play" with while you're at a stand-still.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2005, 11:17 PM   #7
indianboy821
Rep
Drives: Two '06 330i's

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2003 330i  [0.00]
Under vehicle settings and then lighting. you can set the pathway lighting for upto 240 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2005, 11:53 PM   #8
AznBeemer23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black Hamann E90

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Congrats on the NEW car........
2006 330i Automatic |Jet Black | Black Leather | Brushed Aluminum | Premium Package | Sports Package | iDrive & Navigation | 5% Tint | Hamann Kit | Tein SS-P Coilover | Forgeline VR3P 19x8.5 front 19x10 rear | Falken FK-451 235/35ZR19 Front 265/30ZR19 Rear | Rotora 6 Pistons Front 4 Pistons Rear Big Brake Kit | Fujita Air Intake

www.uucmotorwerks.com www.foxmarketing.net www.falkentire.com www.rotora.com www.f5air.com www.tein.com www.wheelpower.com
Appreciate 0