BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2021, 08:00 AM   #1
APhuze
Private
Rep
Drives: e82 135i n55

How to make a cover/heat shield for BMS intake?

Hey there, I was wondering if anyone has came up with a way to make a custom cover or heat shield for the BMS intakes. I have a e82 135i n55, and i've ran temps through the MAF and it seems like temperatures are actually really good still when moving, although obviously at stops it raises quite a bit.

I was thinking of putting some sort of cowl or cover over my new BMS intake, now if this is a bad idea correct me please; but i figured if i can put in the new filter and cover it i would be getting the benefits of pushing more air through the intake and keeping it cool.

Heres a picture of the intake; would appreciate any insight

https://ibb.co/WKw2hC9
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #2
DWN-N-OUT
Enlisted Member
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

I added an AFE intake cover on my BMS intake and didnt see any noticeable IAT difference between running it and not. I've seen people wrap the whole intake in the heat shield tape and it supposedly that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #3
APhuze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWN-N-OUT View Post
I added an AFE intake cover on my BMS intake and didnt see any noticeable IAT difference between running it and not. I've seen people wrap the whole intake in the heat shield tape and it supposedly that makes a difference.
Interesting! it's only 55$ too, seems like a good option rather than trying to fabricate something myself. I already have a FMIC so the temps are as good as they're going to be i just figured closing the airbox would help at low speeds/idle but perhaps not... it really is a non factor when at speeds
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
DWN-N-OUT
Enlisted Member
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Yeah I've got AFE scoops, BMS intake, and full ER intercooler and piping including the TIC, and I run about 20°F over ambient while moving with or without the cover. I didnt keep an eye on the IATs at idle though so it might be worth looking into.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I would not waste money by doing so, all the data show that open or closed intake yield the same power on turbo BMW

BMW posted a comparison with the stock intake, it showed that IAT different was not significant between the 2

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #6
APhuze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I would not waste money by doing so, all the data show that open or closed intake yield the same power on turbo BMW

BMW posted a comparison with the stock intake, it showed that IAT different was not significant between the 2
Thanks for the insight! I do have a question though bare with me.

My understanding is cooler air is more dense, which is therefore better for performance.

In the case of intake temperatures, it was maybe 82f outdoors and at idle i was around 135f; and while moving it fluctuated between 105-110f. I am guessing once the vehicle is moving fast enough, it becomes a non factor.

If my MAF sensor is recording a higher temperature while moving with the BMS Intake and opened up but with more air being pushed through; wouldn't this balance out and essentially prove to be the same performance as a stock airbox which pushes less air but at a cooler temperature. So my idea behind it was if that's the case, be it 5 degrees or 10 degrees warmer; encasing the airbox with the BMS intake would not necessarily hurt anything; and i can only gain from it?

AFe sells a airbox cover which fits over the BMS intake, so i was considering that as well. Let me know what you think!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:09 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhuze View Post
Thanks for the insight! I do have a question though bare with me.

My understanding is cooler air is more dense, which is therefore better for performance.

In the case of intake temperatures, it was maybe 82f outdoors and at idle i was around 135f; and while moving it fluctuated between 105-110f. I am guessing once the vehicle is moving fast enough, it becomes a non factor.

If my MAF sensor is recording a higher temperature while moving with the BMS Intake and opened up but with more air being pushed through; wouldn't this balance out and essentially prove to be the same performance as a stock airbox which pushes less air but at a cooler temperature. So my idea behind it was if that's the case, be it 5 degrees or 10 degrees warmer; encasing the airbox with the BMS intake would not necessarily hurt anything; and i can only gain from it?

AFe sells a airbox cover which fits over the BMS intake, so i was considering that as well. Let me know what you think!
It's been years since the last time I checked the numbers, I remember they tested their fully open-intake vs stock in all conditions. The difference was negligible every time.

Also note that on wide-open throttle (dyno), the BMS intake made more power than stock (this applied to N54, N55 and B58)

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0