BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-02-2022, 05:23 AM   #1
jtriggs458
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport Jet Black

Terminal 50 not activating

I've spent the last few days combing through other No crank no start threads and have ran out of things to try.

Ignition comes on, all lights and accessories. When start button is pressed the key pops out of the ignition within a second. No clicking. I've done a new battery, new clutch ignition switch (even tried it with the clutch engagement coded off), car doesn't have a IBS, earth strap looks and feels fine, tapping starter while starting does nothing, jump point cables are in good shape. Additionally I've got good voltage reads at the jump points and starter itself.

For the last few months I would have the no crank occur but I'd push the clutch in harder (thinking it was the clutch switch) and with a few tries it'd start up. The last two starts before she died I had to hold the button down a few seconds as it cranked to get started.

Guess I'm just trying to verify it's the starter itself or something else before I buy a starter motor and wait the 3 weeks it takes to get it shipped to Korea. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by jtriggs458; 09-05-2022 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 02:31 AM   #2
jtriggs458
Rep

Updating to see if I can get any help.

With more troubleshooting I've found that terminal 50 is not getting activated by CAS. CAS fuses are all good, all signals are activating but for some reason terminal 50 is not activating.

On a side note I can't get ISTA to read any ecus if anyone has any advice on that so I'm stuck using protool.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 06:09 AM   #3
jtriggs458
Rep

Well I'll leave this here for anyone in the future.

It turned out to be the CAS was not sending the 'go ahead and start' signal to terminal 50 because the clutch was not being read as pushed in even though I used Protool to code that out as well as having a new clutch switch. I still don't know what's wrong but I took a male to male breadboard wire and hot wired the clutch switch to itself. Hit me up if you want pics of how I did it.
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #4
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Clutch switch failing isn't uncommon. If you replace the switch and it keeps happening, could be the CAS itself failing which happened to me. I bought a good used unit off eBay and sent it with my keys for recoding. That fixed my random no start issue.
Appreciate 1