BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #23
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
IMO that isn't true. I have owned a Z3 and a MZ3. The Boxster was first compared to the Z3, not the Z4... the Boxster was overpriced and underpowered. Then the Boxster S was released...it was still overpriced and underpowered.

At the time, the M roadster was top dog. Better than the S2000, Boxster, CLK, and the Audi TT.

No offense to the Z4 fans, but the Chris Bangle Z4 special, killed BMW's roadster share. ...and nothing personal Boxster fans.

what you say is true to some degree...however at no time IMO did a z3 outhandle a boxster, nor did it have the agility and balance of the boxster...the z3 did have the horses however....and overpriced is really a personal verdict...many people think the 135 is overpriced...

while i never owned a z3 I drove plenty of them...and outside of looks the z4 was superior in every fashion...

anyway; my point is over time the boxster has been the roadster that has received the most fanfare....nothing else is close...it is certainly more worthy of classic status than a z3 or a z4...

again...IMO... only...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #24
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

As Americans dump there gas guzzlers and start buying smaller more efficient cars our 1'ers will be more appreciated. Soon anyone driving large wastefull machines will be looked down on not up to. Think "green" when you hammer your direct injected 1'er. We are trendsetters not followers...YOMV
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #25
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
IMO that isn't true. I have owned a Z3 and a MZ3. The Boxster was first compared to the Z3, not the Z4... the Boxster was overpriced and underpowered. Then the Boxster S was released...it was still overpriced and underpowered.

At the time, the M roadster was top dog. Better than the S2000, Boxster, CLK, and the Audi TT.

No offense to the Z4 fans, but the Chris Bangle Z4 special, killed BMW's roadster share. ...and nothing personal Boxster fans.
The first Boxster which was introduced well into '97, as a shortened model year... and had a base price of (rounded off) $39,000. Overpriced? Even back then, it was a great deal. Underpowered? Once the Boxster S came out, then the standard Boxster was underpowered.

Same situation with the 135i. Is it underpowered, or perhaps too heavy? Still, it's a worth it... IMHO. The next generation of 1-Series will probably be improved... which I would then expect will likely make the current one look a little lacking. It's only natural.

And as far as being the benchmark goes... the Boxster was the king that re-wrote all the rules!!
      05-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #26
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'm looking forward to the rumored Z2 which is suppose to come out next year. A smaller version of the Z4, using the same engine as the 135i, would be awesome!

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #27
driftdriven
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

One thing I have noticed about you BMW guys (I am a bimmer newbie) YOU TAKE POSTS TOO LITERAL!!
The op just seemed to want to express how excited they were about the 1. And after that, everyone critiques their post on how they feel??? I am really getting an eye opener with the Bimmer owners and how snobby we are.
Just my view, but who gives a f&Ck about what I think!?! I love the 1er and everyone else can suck monkey balls!! LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #28
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

^^^^Thats great, Monkey balls.^^^^
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #29
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftdriven View Post
One thing I have noticed about you BMW guys (I am a bimmer newbie) YOU TAKE POSTS TOO LITERAL!!
The op just seemed to want to express how excited they were about the 1. And after that, everyone critiques their post on how they feel??? I am really getting an eye opener with the Bimmer owners and how snobby we are.
Just my view, but who gives a f&Ck about what I think!?! I love the 1er and everyone else can suck monkey balls!! LOL
I must have missed it... did you post something meaningful?
j/k
      05-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #30
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftdriven View Post
DOH!...this is a discussion forum..so we discuss stuff...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #31
driftdriven
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

LOL Talk is for girls that watch sex and the city.... JUST DRIVE THE DAMN CAR!

J/K I am at work and yes I do have better things to then to post but I i'd rather be here :thumbup:
Appreciate 0