BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

Sunroof closed position?

coming from a e88..
my IS seems to sit low in the closed position .. I don't see any leaking into the cabin but the position doesn't seem normal..
googled 135i sunroof " to see what it looks like before I ask on here and stumbled on this image-https://duckduckgo.com/?q=135i+sunroof&atb=v137-3__&ia=images&iax=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.viv idracing.com%2Fimages%2FFLO-E82M1GT.jpg

getting back on topic.. what is the closed position?? flush with the roof??
and if not, can I reset??

thanks guys.
also have a gremlin in my a/c .. turns on by itself periodically .. trying to decipher.. prolly wqill ber posting here soon hahahah as ia cant replicate wtf its turning on in the first place ;(

just saw a vid on resetting on the tube..... might not apply to me as mine opens and closes fine.. but it sits lower than the edge of the roof in the closed position. ::running outside to try resetting::

Last edited by elitesales305; 07-23-2019 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesales305 View Post
coming from a e88..
my IS seems to sit low in the closed position .. I don't see any leaking into the cabin but the position doesn't seem normal..
googled 135i sunroof " to see what it looks like before I ask on here and stumbled on this image-https://duckduckgo.com/?q=135i+sunroof&atb=v137-3__&ia=images&iax=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.viv idracing.com%2Fimages%2FFLO-E82M1GT.jpg

thanks guys.
also have a gremlin in my a/c .. turns on by itself periodically .. trying to decipher.. prolly wqill ber posting here soon hahahah as ia cant replicate wtf its turning on in the first place ;(

just saw a vid on resetting on the tube..... might not apply to me as mine opens and closes fine.. but it sits lower than the edge of the roof in the closed position. ::running outside to try resetting::
Got a pic?
      07-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Here's how mine sits, excuse the dirty car. I would say it's exactly flush. One of the pictures makes it look like it's above the metal work a little bit, but I think that's just the perspective of the composition of my crappy photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
B777flyboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i carbon black

Garage List
2013 Bmw 135  [0.00]
Quote:
coming from a e88..

thanks guys.

Should be flush. Had the same problem with mine. Dealer did a reset during warranty period. I did not have any leaking either. I'm sure the reset procedure isn't a big deal.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Turn the car to the on position but don't start it. Press and hold the sunroof button as you would to tilt it. Hold it for about 30 seconds and the sunroof will start its reset procedure. Keep holding the button till it runs through its cycle and fully closes again. Done.
Appreciate 3
      07-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

gp gonna ghet a pic if the reset doesn't work.. will be back later .
and judging by the prev photo supplied on this thread.. theirs something deff wrong wirth mine.. it sits lower tyhan the roof by id say more than 1/4 inch..
      07-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

fixxxxxxxxed!!!!!
iminhell13914.50
      07-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

How ironic... I think mine is the same way. The front edge is flush, but the back edge sits lower. Maybe it's because we're all opening the roof now for good weather?

Anyhow, I'll try the reset procedure.

Thank you!

-Sam
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
How ironic... I think mine is the same way. The front edge is flush, but the back edge sits lower. Maybe it's because we're all opening the roof now for good weather?

Anyhow, I'll try the reset procedure.

Thank you!

-Sam
yea .. I was getting wind noise in the cabin when the music was off and I kept looking at it since I bought the car a couple months ago and thought ..this shit don't look right.
the reset fixed it fyi. I did however notice that you have to keep your finger on the button the whole time it cycles. if your auto close / open on the roof stops working after you reset... you took your finger off the button. ask me how I know !!! hahahahaha
youll also get a weird image on ur dash like if you just ejected your roof glass!!
      07-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED

Quote:
yea .. I was getting wind noise in the cabin when the music was off and I kept looking at it since I bought the car a couple months ago and thought ..this shit don't look right.
the reset fixed it fyi. I did however notice that you have to keep your finger on the button the whole time it cycles. if your auto close / open on the roof stops working after you reset... you took your finger off the button. ask me how I know !!! hahahahaha
youll also get a weird image on ur dash like if you just ejected your roof glass!!
I have the same issue but mine sits much lower than yours is, I'm really hoping this reset procedure fixes mine as well its very annoying.
      07-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Okay so I've tried this about 3 times since yesterday and it doesn't seem like anything happened. I held it down for at least a minute but I didn't notice any change or anything happening. are there any other signs I could look for to let me know the reset is working? I'm also having trouble resetting other functions in my car, this is getting annoying...what the hell am I doing wrong??
      07-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post
Okay so I've tried this about 3 times since yesterday and it doesn't seem like anything happened. I held it down for at least a minute but I didn't notice any change or anything happening. are there any other signs I could look for to let me know the reset is working? I'm also having trouble resetting other functions in my car, this is getting annoying...what the hell am I doing wrong??
I wonder if the FRM module also controls the sunroof, and whether yours might be fried... ?
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #13
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
I wonder if the FRM module also controls the sunroof, and whether yours might be fried... ?
Is that the same as the footwell module? Because if so according to BMW my module was fine when I took it to them last month when I was having headlight issues and I suspected my module and it wasn't. This is the same module that has an extended warranty through BMW NA correct?
      07-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is that the same as the footwell module? Because if so according to BMW my module was fine when I took it to them last month when I was having headlight issues and I suspected my module and it wasn't. This is the same module that has an extended warranty through BMW NA correct?
Yeah FRM is the footwell module, and it is under extended warranty, but if they say it's fine... Are your power windows working? What else are you trying to reset (you mentioned in other post)?
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #15
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

ok so if im clear.. I turned the car on.. held the button for what seemed like a minute and then all of a sudden it starts to cycle.. about mid point the dash lit up with the reset image.. I fucked up the first time and let off the button thinking its gonna do its thing.. at that point it stopped and I lost the "one touch" open and close .. I had to start the process again.. wich worked when I kept the button pressed throughout the cycle.. jumped out the car.. glass was sitting in correct position ever since.
hope this helps
      07-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #16
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
ok so if im clear.. I turned the car on.. held the button for what seemed like a minute and then all of a sudden it starts to cycle.. about mid point the dash lit up with the reset image.. I fucked up the first time and let off the button thinking its gonna do its thing.. at that point it stopped and I lost the "one touch" open and close .. I had to start the process again.. wich worked when I kept the button pressed throughout the cycle.. jumped out the car.. glass was sitting in correct position ever since.
hope this helps
So you did the reset with the car running or just in the on position? the post above said to do it with the car on the on position but not running.
      07-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #17
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you did the reset with the car running or just in the on position? the post above said to do it with the car on the on position but not running.
I did it on but not running .. noticed nothing.. turned it completely on.. then I had some action!!!!
      07-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #18
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
I did it on but not running .. noticed nothing.. turned it completely on.. then I had some action!!!!
Ahh okay, I've been repeating these damn steps all with the car off, I will try this real quick on my lunch break...shit better work lol! Such a love and hate relationship with these cars
      07-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #19
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

yea, when I posted this thread I did a quick goog search and found a vid on how to do it on a 335 or 28 my year.. so I was like shit should be the same .. I tried those steps and believe it was also asking to do it off.. with no result..then a couple days later, went by a post on this thread wich also said to do it off... nada.
then said fuck it .. turned the car on and while I had the roof half way open.. proceeded the reset.
BADA-BING!!!
      07-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #20
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
yea, when I posted this thread I did a quick goog search and found a vid on how to do it on a 335 or 28 my year.. so I was like shit should be the same .. I tried those steps and believe it was also asking to do it off.. with no result..then a couple days later, went by a post on this thread wich also said to do it off... nada.
then said fuck it .. turned the car on and while I had the roof half way open.. proceeded the reset.
BADA-BING!!!
Bada-bing is damn right thank you sir....I don't know why the hell I didn't just try it with the car on lol ...I guess I follow instructions to a fault? lol...anywho one issue down and I can sleep a little easier tonight
      07-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #21
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is #319/586

My car had the same issue and the procedure fixed it. Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 1