BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #1
iEatSand
Private
Rep
Drives: EvoIX, 135i, Fisker Karma ES

135i N54 ghost misfire on high boost/gear

I've tried to track this issue down for a little bit.

Car boosts fine and pulls hard on startup in 1st/2nd gear. Once I get into higher gear it throws the half CEL light and boost cutoff/limp mode. The service engine light pops on for 5-15 seconds and then goes away once I stay off boost.

When the half CEL and SES light comes on the car starts sputtering/misfiring hard when under load.

Once the car drops speeds and is out of boost the codes and half CEL light go away. I scanned the car and checked JB4 for codes and there's nothing showing.

Car is FBO, not running meth.

I did bottom out a little bit ago and I'm wondering if my FMIC piping isn't on all the way... I'll have to check that tomorrow. I did remove the chargepipe and clean it/tighten all connections.

When the half CEL light stays on I can restart the car, it goes away but the car is still barely boosting and feels like it's NA.

I do think the boost solenoid might be going bad as I hear a weird tapping noise as seen on a video, could that be the cause of this issue? Could it be something like plugs/coils? Injectors are Index11 and HPFP is newer. It doesn't feel like fuel cutoff

Someone help!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:03 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Load based things like that, pay attention to fuel and spark. Log. Log. Log.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:27 PM   #3
iEatSand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Load based things like that, pay attention to fuel and spark. Log. Log. Log.
I can't log with JB4. What can I do to pull logs? I've had a tuned evo before but not sure on what setup to use with the n54 platform.

EDIT-- I do have a DKAN cable, I'll probably cave in and get MHD just for logging etc.

Last edited by iEatSand; 03-24-2020 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=197021
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatSand View Post
I've tried to track this issue down for a little bit.

Car boosts fine and pulls hard on startup in 1st/2nd gear. Once I get into higher gear it throws the half CEL light and boost cutoff/limp mode. The service engine light pops on for 5-15 seconds and then goes away once I stay off boost.

When the half CEL and SES light comes on the car starts sputtering/misfiring hard when under load.

Once the car drops speeds and is out of boost the codes and half CEL light go away. I scanned the car and checked JB4 for codes and there's nothing showing.

Car is FBO, not running meth.

I did bottom out a little bit ago and I'm wondering if my FMIC piping isn't on all the way... I'll have to check that tomorrow. I did remove the chargepipe and clean it/tighten all connections.

When the half CEL light stays on I can restart the car, it goes away but the car is still barely boosting and feels like it's NA.

I do think the boost solenoid might be going bad as I hear a weird tapping noise as seen on a video, could that be the cause of this issue? Could it be something like plugs/coils? Injectors are Index11 and HPFP is newer. It doesn't feel like fuel cutoff

Someone help!!!!
First get the JB4 mobile app, then log and reproduce the problem and check for codes, if your car is going into limp mode there should be a/some code(s). You don't need the MHD app to get the codes but you'll want the MHD app to load the JB4 BEF (which is free and makes the JB4 experience better). Plus if you plan to keep the JB4 you'll want the mobile app to "make changes on the fly". Plus you can't use the OBD port with the JB4, unless the JB4 is set to passive mode (map 0).

What trans do you have? I have the DCT and had this issue on my car after I installed the PS2 and had boost >16 at about 6200 rpm. This is a known issue with the DCT.

1Mpostr

Last edited by JPuehl; 03-25-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
iEatSand
Private
Rep

The issue was resolved. I removed all the intake, chargepipe, FMIC, and cleaned/reinstalled it. Checked for leaks on all vacuum lines. Car has been running strong for 3 days. No CEL, no half-engine light, can floor it in 3rd/4th gear at 3k and no issues. Car is finally mechanically solid! Just needs some PDR and bodywork to be back in perfect condition. Honestly happy with the quarantine so I can get stuff done on the car. Might be selling my 335i today so more money for fixing up the 1er
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
iEatSand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPuehl View Post
First get the JB4 mobile app, then log and reproduce the problem and check for codes, if your car is going into limp mode there should be a/some code(s). You don't need the MHD app to get the codes but you'll want the MHD app to load the JB4 BEF (which is free and makes the JB4 experience better). Plus if you plan to keep the JB4 you'll want the mobile app to "make changes on the fly". Plus you can't use the OBD port with the JB4, unless the JB4 is set to passive mode (map 0).

What trans do you have? I have the DCT and had this issue on my car after I installed the PS2 and had boost >16 at about 6200 rpm. This is a known issue with the DCT.
I downloaded the MHD app on my tablet, trying to figure out if my JB4 has bluetooth for the app or if it's integrated in the chip itself.

As for the trans it's a 2008 automatic, I don't think they had a DCT in 2008.

I'm planning on getting a parts car and doing a manual swap.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #8
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

Probably a tuning issue like MHD. Ever since I stopped running stage 1 or 2+ I get no misfires bc I'm on a custom tune. Mine wouldnt misfire for couple days at times but than would start doing bvn it again.
Appreciate 0