BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

BMW creating new "green" brand

Check this out

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-cont...een-brand.html

There's a lengthy discussion over on CarSpyShots

I think this is smart of BMW. Buying a brand like Volvo and trying to reinvent it with a green image wouldn't necessarily be as successful as creating a new brand with the backing of BMW's reputation/image.

This looks really exciting--hopefully this ultra green focus will filter it's way into Mini, BMW, and Rolls without taking away from their respective personas.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
DM1
Captain
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S Paceman

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0si  [7.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2005 Renault Megane RS  [0.00]
This will be a marketing challenge, and I'm sure BMW will find a way to have super efficient vehicles that will also perform good.

Follow my blog at http://dmauto.wordpress.com
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Chunga
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90 black saphire 2008

They are already doing a nice job with the 318 and 320. Nice sporty engine - low fuel consumption

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/sea...s.asp?id=20043
      01-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
m0n0x!de
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 M3

The greenest car ever: http://furrywalrus.com/images/Lambor...lago_green.jpg
      02-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Sounds like a great idea. I'm sure BMW will do well with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

why not make a green vehicle with the looks of current models. Im sure they could do it if BMW is not afraid of the oil companies. Maybe all the auto makers should band together and do what needs to be done. I remember watching a documentory about how if certain parts were added to a ford explorer costing $950.00 then it would travel 40 mpg. Im sure if we could travel 40 mpg for an additional $950.00 we would cough that over in a heart beat in todays rising fuel costs. However due to the auto makers being intimidated (lobbying) by fuel companies we will only see that happen in probably 10 years. By then who cares if we travel 40-50 mpg. Gas prices will be over $7.00 per gallon. And it will make no difference. Green would be if they would make hydrogen cars now at a lower cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
why not make a green vehicle with the looks of current models. Im sure they could do it if BMW is not afraid of the oil companies. Maybe all the auto makers should band together and do what needs to be done. I remember watching a documentory about how if certain parts were added to a ford explorer costing $950.00 then it would travel 40 mpg. Im sure if we could travel 40 mpg for an additional $950.00 we would cough that over in a heart beat in todays rising fuel costs. However due to the auto makers being intimidated (lobbying) by fuel companies we will only see that happen in probably 10 years. By then who cares if we travel 40-50 mpg. Gas prices will be over $7.00 per gallon. And it will make no difference. Green would be if they would make hydrogen cars now at a lower cost.
BMW's have to perform well, every single one of them--a green BMW goes against their philosophy. They want to create this new brand so that they can sacrifice performance without tarnishing their reputation.

Look at the article. One of the board members, Stefan Krause said the following: "We cannot take the blue out of BMW and make it green." That's their viewpoint.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5love View Post
BMW's have to perform well, every single one of them--a green BMW goes against their philosophy. They want to create this new brand so that they can sacrifice performance without tarnishing their reputation.

Look at the article. One of the board members, Stefan Krause said the following: "We cannot take the blue out of BMW and make it green." That's their viewpoint.

I totally understand your view on this. However if we can send the space shuttle up in orbit...drill miles below the earth....create bombs that can destroy the planet. Why not add a few parts that can give our vehicles a cleaner burning engine without sacrifcing the performance we crave for. It can be done if the automotive industry was just not so damned afraid of the oil companies.

Did you notice that every year BMW announces that their fuel efficiency and clean burning engines are improving. Did you notice that BMW's engines are getting more powerful. If a ford explorer can get 40 mpg by adding $950 worth of parts without losing any performance why can BMW do the same. And Im sure in the end it will not cost BMW that $950 since it will be mass produced. Believe me I love my 300 hp 335. I love the performance aspect of it and the ride quality just like every other bmw owner. However there are improvements that can be made. The first is making an engine which can travel at least 40mpg. And please guys dont start flaming me for wishing that bmw make something that we could all appreciate. Instead of diluting their brand with all these new models that they are coming out with let them focus on making more powerful and fuel efficient vehicles. They should take a lesson learned from Chrystler. Look at how many vehicles they had in 07 and how many are being discontinued for 08. Chryslter is cutting their vehicle lineup by almost half.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #9
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
I totally understand your view on this. However if we can send the space shuttle up in orbit...drill miles below the earth....create bombs that can destroy the planet. Why not add a few parts that can give our vehicles a cleaner burning engine without sacrifcing the performance we crave for. It can be done if the automotive industry was just not so damned afraid of the oil companies.

Did you notice that every year BMW announces that their fuel efficiency and clean burning engines are improving. Did you notice that BMW's engines are getting more powerful. If a ford explorer can get 40 mpg by adding $950 worth of parts without losing any performance why can BMW do the same. And Im sure in the end it will not cost BMW that $950 since it will be mass produced. Believe me I love my 300 hp 335. I love the performance aspect of it and the ride quality just like every other bmw owner. However there are improvements that can be made. The first is making an engine which can travel at least 40mpg. And please guys dont start flaming me for wishing that bmw make something that we could all appreciate. Instead of diluting their brand with all these new models that they are coming out with let them focus on making more powerful and fuel efficient vehicles. They should take a lesson learned from Chrystler. Look at how many vehicles they had in 07 and how many are being discontinued for 08. Chryslter is cutting their vehicle lineup by almost half.
Hey man I totally agree with you. Who wouldn't love a 335 that got 40mpg+? I was just reporting what BMW says their views are.

I'm sure if they could do it, they would. They would crush the competition. No one would buy anything else. Yes, I'm sure the oil companies play a part, but that can't be the only thing in their way.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 01:33 AM   #10
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

BMW already makes green cars.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
cycler
Major General
Rep

See there is always someone with a good sense of humor that could difuse a situation.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep

I thought it was hilarious.

By the way rumors are going around that BMW is considering calling this brand Isetta
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
cycler
Major General
Rep

Will Isetta look like a 3,5,6,7, series. If they do Im in especially for ED.
Appreciate 0