BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #45
BimmerMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I haven't looked really close in my 135i, but it seems like the MINI I used to run a Schroth in had the same kind of floor mounted bar that the lap belt connect to and can slide along. Seem like we put the Schroth in by loosening one of the bolts for that bar and sliding the Schroth tab under it...

Here we go, part #9 in this drawing:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E8...ty_belt_front/

Now that I think about it, it didn't fit quite right, it interferred with the bushing (#10) seating, but I kept it in anyhow. I can't remember if I put it on top of or below that bushing. Maybe for autocross speeds it is better to use the seat rail, while keeping the above completely OEM for street use. I'll have to think about that.

Last edited by BimmerMeUp; 03-25-2011 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #46
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
And yes, btw, my harness is ASM equipped. I agree that this is important to prevent both submarining and spinal compression in a head on collision.

Also - my harness is a quick fit. The quick fit is just a Rallye 4 with OEM style attachments at 2 points so you can snap it in and out easily.
Thanks!

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #47
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i STEP, Future //M2012

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
that bolt on the track bar is a little far back, i'm not sure there's enough harness length to mount there succesfully. I'm taller and sit way back, and there still might not be enough slack.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #48
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

6'0", 200 pounds. No problems, and there's a ton of excess on the lap belt.

If you're really rotund it could be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #49
3RotorRX7
Erik
Rep

Amalfitano,
Wanted to let you know that the M3 BMW front arms are not legal in STU based on 14.8.B. and 14.8.I.2. You can use the M3 BMW front arm by itself without the camber plates, or you can use the camber plates but not the front arm. Read through the rules carefully, it will become more clear. But, don't despair, as I have a the solution sitting on my car waiting to be sold to you. You are allowed an offset bushing of any material other than metal. I have produced a set of offset bushings that fit in the stock 135i arms, and the bonus is that they give 0.3-0.4 more camber than the M3 arms, plus they are legal. You want as much camber on this car as possible, and for autocross, I wouldn't be suprised if something close to 4 degrees would be best. However, you can't get more than what these bushings and the plates will allow, based ont he rules set. Anyway, shoot me an email at streldoc@aol.com and we can chat offline. I also have a set of catted AR Design downpipes I will sell you that have been on the car for only 2 months. I'm abandoning my STU build on my 135i as I bought a FP boxster that was for sale on SCCAforums.

Cheers,
Erik Strelnieks
SCCA SEB Member
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #50
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
6'0", 200 pounds. No problems, and there's a ton of excess on the lap belt.

If you're really rotund it could be an issue.
Your location is fine, and i bent the clips, perfect fit, I'm all good now, just need to get all the harness goodness tightened up.

I was thinking the location below with the bolt that has the belt guide, that would be too far back in the cabin, unless i've misunderstood your positioning this entire time....so in my own words, i bolted the clip underneath the *seat* track's rear bolt. The fit is perfect in my opinion, though driving in with a muffler delete, buckles poking out, i think i need to stick to one SA and one SA only, possibly bounce around dealers if they start giving my grief about these non-engine mods...

Though once i put in catted DP's and they notice, or delete the rear cats... they might start trying to avoid coverage for some things...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #51
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RotorRX7 View Post
as I bought a FP boxster
I saw that, and thought how much nicer it would be to have this be my street car only and have a full race purpose car, but didn't have the spare 12k and tire money (or garage *******

best of luck and keep up the great work with the SEB.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #52
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Anyway, shoot me an email
e-mail sent, mrazny@hotmail.com in case it gets filtered.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #53
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Amalfitano,
Wanted to let you know that the M3 BMW front arms are not legal in STU based on 14.8.B. and 14.8.I.2. You can use the M3 BMW front arm by itself without the camber plates, or you can use the camber plates but not the front arm. Read through the rules carefully, it will become more clear. But, don't despair, as I have a the solution sitting on my car waiting to be sold to you. You are allowed an offset bushing of any material other than metal. I have produced a set of offset bushings that fit in the stock 135i arms, and the bonus is that they give 0.3-0.4 more camber than the M3 arms, plus they are legal. You want as much camber on this car as possible, and for autocross, I wouldn't be suprised if something close to 4 degrees would be best. However, you can't get more than what these bushings and the plates will allow, based ont he rules set. Anyway, shoot me an email at streldoc@aol.com and we can chat offline. I also have a set of catted AR Design downpipes I will sell you that have been on the car for only 2 months. I'm abandoning my STU build on my 135i as I bought a FP boxster that was for sale on SCCAforums.

Cheers,
Erik Strelnieks
SCCA SEB Member
These one-offs you custom made? I've always wanted to do just bushings instead of replacing the whole arm, such that I can run both CPs and bushings and be legal. Enjoying the concept of more camber from the offset mounting point.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #54
BimmerMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Will either of you please snap a picture of these offset bushings and post it somewhere? I'd like to try to reproduce them at some point...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #55
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
finally got my plates where i want them, pretty aggressive looking toe out for now, hoping for my alignment tomorrow at lunch maybe. It's a bit of wasted money, but i'd like to actually test n tune sunday, and i'd rather not do that with an out of whack alignment.

It's wasted money only because my corner balancing has to wait until next week. The guy i was referred is on the road for a race starting thursday, couldn't fit me tomorrow. Now i just need to redo my trunk liner (entirely didn't get it back in right, ran out of daylight, and it's a freezer out still in Chicagoland), but that'll wait until my cable extenders for the rear adjusters come in. i didn't want to cut into the trunk liner.

anyone else have the bracket holding our brake lines rub against the plastic wire holder that's flush against the engine bay? it was a simple case of the bracket twisting a little bit with the swaybar endlink install. I thankfully noticed it...

test fitting the new shoes tomorrow, possibly at the same time as the alignment. Would've liked to have known the fitment nice and officially already, but lost the past weekend with a wedding combined with being at the mercy of hungover people to get back home Sunday.

Tomorrow - alignment/ wheel n' tire fitment check day, some bump tests some street hard cornering. Won't be quite as hard as i'd like to confirm everything, but should be close. Air filter swap

Thursday - if the alignment falls through - alignment day, and if i can squeeze it and it's necessary, fender rolling day. And if it's the most productive day ever, cable extenders and trunk liner redo day.

Friday - catch-all for whatever didn't get done, harness tightening, and hopefully not running into anything else

Saturday- Chicago Region learning curve, whole lot of cold, hopefully get some excited students into autocross long term. Also need to by my new classes letters.

Sunday - test n' tune. If everything is in good order, hopefully i find some guys who didn't get their cars ready for some extra drives, tunes, and tire warmers. Though if we actually get showers like forecasted, i might wish i skipped it

Short of the corner balance appointment, and maybe thinking i didn't get any rubbing while actually getting some rubbing and doing some fender work, i think next week i get to relax and try not to get too distracted at work that i still get stuff done. RACE SEASON IS HERE

Although i guess i might be getting some new (for me) catted DP's and bushings to install before the first event

Unfortunately i got to NO weight reduction, but i could lose a few pounds myself
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #56
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 135i

Just got my new shoes! Apex Arc-8 with Kuhmo XS 245/35/18 front and 265/35/18 rear. Running max camber up front with Vorshlag plates, and pretty rub free (no fender modification). Think I might be getting a little bit of rub at full lock, but it didn't seem to happen every time. On the plus side, HOLY MOLY does this car corner now! Can't wait till this weekend's auto-x event!!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #57
bradford
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalfitano View Post

It's wasted money only because my corner balancing has to wait until next week. The guy i was referred is on the road for a race starting thursday, couldn't fit me tomorrow.
I highly recommend Al at Chicago Performance and Tuning in Melrose Park. He has the best Hunter alignment rack available, and does a lot of track prep cars, from Miatas to Porsche Cup Cars. He has 135i experience as well (mine). =)

www.gocpt.com
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #58
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
What's his rate?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #59
bradford
Major
Rep

Quote:
What's his rate?
$150 for alignment, $150 for corner balance.

They're pretty slammed right now too, due to the start of the track season. Probably the earliest they'd be able to get you in is the week after next, but keep them on your radar, cause they're good people and they do good work.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #60
RedTRex
Digital Cerebrum
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 330ci ZHP

Garage List
2005 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
Good stuff (and the previous 3 posts as well).

So I have a dilema - at my last outing - no matter what changes I made to the struts or tire pressure, the car was still pushing (understeer) and my times stayed really close first to last run. Consistency is good - yes, but not when I should have gone 2-4 seconds faster by last run.

After some (to include the NASIOC dissussion) research I think the Hotchkiss FSB is just too much bar. Stock RSB on car too.
I am getting -3.5 degrees camber on front, stock alignment, and ride height is within 3/8" of stock.

On hand I have the stock FSB (with about 1k miles on it) and I have the hotchkiss RSB (for 335i).

I see some are running the e9x M3 FSB - could be an option.

My thought now is to put the stock FSB on with the Hotchkis end links.

Anyone have other thoughts?

Quote:
just a by the way,

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...29#post9093829

Here's the post Berk had on their experience with rear sways based on different diffs, though this is specifically a torsen diff versus a clutch type diff.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #61
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I guess i'll find out if it's too much bar soon enough

If i'm recalling correctly, the gotcone.com 135i STU car decided to ditch the Hotchkis for the stock sway bar because he thought it was a little too much, but he was also running 700 lb/in springs up front.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #62
RedTRex
Digital Cerebrum
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
Okay,,,,,,think that makes my decision to at least try it easier.....

I have this for springs -
Vorshlag's GTS package is 7" x 600 #/in Front / 9" x 160 N/mm (912 #/in) Rear

Also guess I will put a pair of the ARC8 et62s on my list - mayhaps I can squeeze 285s in the back.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #63
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
The Berk Time Attack car did 285/35/18 RS3's in the back with those wheels. They ran a 5mm spacer and listed the velocity motorcars adjustable toe-arms, though the description didn't necessarily claim they were needed for fitment. I'm sure they did *extensive* fender massaging for that fitment though.

Not that seats are in my future for this year, but is it as simple as anything that works for the e9x works for the one? Machtschnell does a floormount, and corbeau has a bracket for the e9x, Sparco and Recaro brackets don't seem to have modern Bimmers listed, and i'm curious if people have kept their seat belt receptacles with the new seats. Macht Schnell has a $50 bracket that'll let the receptacle mount up to it, but in general, the thought that $275 of macht schnell mounting hardware, +$100 for a slider and another $110 for the side mounts, all BEFORE the actual seat is purchased... seems ridiculous.

where instead it sounds like the corbeau bracket is a catch-all slider floormount combo, and the seats mount direct to that as opposed to an additional sidemount, making it $90 of hardware + seat instead. Just a little bit of a difference between $400, figure out the seat belt mounting and i'm done and as opposed to more than that for just the hardware, +1000 for a recaro or $800 for a sparco.

I guess i should just find out how uncomfortable the corbeaus are and see if the extra 1000 is worth it. I'd think i'd want a reclining seat in the passenger side if i'm going to pretend to use the car daily anymore...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #64
RedTRex
Digital Cerebrum
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
Hey....just realized your loc is Chi-town, where you at? I grew up in the south burbs and my P's currently live in Frankfort.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #65
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:

Not that seats are in my future for this year, but is it as simple as anything that works for the e9x works for the one? Machtschnell does a floormount, and corbeau has a bracket for the e9x, Sparco and Recaro brackets don't seem to have modern Bimmers listed, and i'm curious if people have kept their seat belt receptacles with the new seats. Macht Schnell has a $50 bracket that'll let the receptacle mount up to it, but in general, the thought that $275 of macht schnell mounting hardware, +$100 for a slider and another $110 for the side mounts, all BEFORE the actual seat is purchased... seems ridiculous.
Quote:
where instead it sounds like the corbeau bracket is a catch-all slider floormount combo, and the seats mount direct to that as opposed to an additional sidemount, making it $90 of hardware + seat instead. Just a little bit of a difference between $400, figure out the seat belt mounting and i'm done and as opposed to more than that for just the hardware, +1000 for a recaro or $800 for a sparco.

I guess i should just find out how uncomfortable the corbeaus are and see if the extra 1000 is worth it. I'd think i'd want a reclining seat in the passenger side if i'm going to pretend to use the car daily anymore...
I have a set of Corbeaus (TRS's) and they feel pretty good. I was going to order them from soloracer.com, but I ended up finding a used set on ebay for 200 bucks . They didn't come with sliders or brackets though. So I called Corbeau and ordered the sliders and had them check on brackets. I measured my holes, and yes the E9X brackets fit. The only problem is that the brackets are a "special order" item. They said I would be the first to even order them. I canceled after they said it is a 4-6 week lead time.

So at the moment I am fabricating my own brackets to mount to the Corbeau sliders. I'll post pics in the morning,

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:29 AM   #66
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTRex View Post
Hey....just realized your loc is Chi-town, where you at? I grew up in the south burbs and my P's currently live in Frankfort.
I grew up barely in the city limits, out by O'hare, harlem and belmont. Now im in the NW burbs.
Appreciate 0