+1
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #46
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
The 4C has been the big news for me since 2 years and though I am a bit frustrated with production car's headlight, mirror and interior design details-and its price tag; they are not dealbreaker size of errors. It still is a mid engine, rwd Alfa with uniqueness and a rarely find high tech stuff like carbon chassis and body that lets the car weigh an incredible 895 kg. (dry). Alfa says it will sprint to 100 km/h in 4.5 sec. and will pass 250 km/h. So, all in all comparable dynamics to 1M if not better. It is a 2 seater coupe so not fully apples to apples but...you get the idea.
Interesting car. However, the reliability track record of Alfa Romeo is not as reassuring as BMW. Hopefully the Bi-LED headlight "design" (toyed too much with the 'helicopter rocket launcher' design ?) will be limited to "The Launch Edition" (first 1,000 cars). Headlight design of the Concept version was okay. Furthermore, a license plate in the front end will not be quite elegant, as usual.

Specs: http://www.autoedizione.com/all-spec...alfa-romeo-4c/
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar150049.html

Last edited by Artemis; 03-17-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #47
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Interesting car. However, the reliability track record of Alfa Romeo is not as reassuring as BMW. Hopefully the Bi-LED headlight "design" (toyed too much with the 'helicopter rocket launcher' design ?) will be limited to "The Launch Edition" (first 1,000 cars). Headlight design of the Concept version was okay. Furthermore, a license plate in the front end will not be quite elegant, as usual.

Specs: http://www.autoedizione.com/all-spec...alfa-romeo-4c/
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar150049.html

Since BMW told us that they will produce the 1M back in July 2010, the Alfa 4C is the only car which was real exciting news for me. I know the historical issues and track record of Alfa brand but they also have a great tradition of exceptional cars and competition so this time maybe they will get it right. Recent regular models were much better in terms of quality and reliability so I believe this one, a miniature 8C they say, can be free from major issues. Don't forget that it will be built exclusively in the state of the art Maserati factory in Modena. The capacity will be limited so there will always be a waiting line for this car.

Just 895 kg., imagine 600 kg. less than a 1M and 500 less than a Cayman R! I see it as a modern Italian version of Lotus Elise/Exige which doesn't sound bad at all, does it?

I believe they will add a spyder/roadster version later and probably a more powerful engine too since Alfa already confirmed a 300 hp 1.8 liter new 4 cylinder turbo engine. So, a GTA/R version with that engine will probably go sub 4 seconds.

Just, couldn't find confirmation about a limited slip differential in the 4C. Some sites say yes but most others and official sheets don't talk about it.

I am sure some of US 1M or M3 owners will grab one of the 500 Launch Edition which will go NA at the end of 2013 or early 2014. We will probably read first hand reviews in this Forum. It is impossible to remain indifferent with this car despite the fugly headlight design which seem to be added at the last minute by a rival company!

Like the Pyrat 1M project this Alfa seem to me the fruit of passionate engineers and designers so at least they may have a spirit in common. That's what I hope.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #48
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Maybe I catch a good deal on a 2010/2011 Boxster Spyder
If you're willing to go used, find a GT3 that hasn't been beat on. Much more of an experience than a Spyder. Prices should take a hit as the new one starts to sell in numbers, and you should be able to find one in a spec you'll like.
      03-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #49
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

Sounds like you're definitely going to get rid of the 1M (now or later; depending on when your next assignment comes due). Depending on when the projected move is supposed to take place, I'd say hold on to the 1M and wait till closer to the release of the 4C GTA, that way you get to find out exactly which course the "new" Alfa is taking in terms of reliability and driving experience. It certainly will be more risky jumping on one of these launch editions IMO... And you know the GTA is in the works... Likely to offer all the CF bits of the launch edition (hopefully with a headlight design revision) plus the performance upgrade. 4C will be like the new BMW Mperformance line while the GTA will be akin to their M cars..
Though it is the less innovative of options, I'd say wait ... If you can. Consolation; you get to continue enjoying ONE OF THE best driving experiences on the planet.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #50
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by providence View Post
Sounds like you're definitely going to get rid of the 1M (now or later; depending on when your next assignment comes due). Depending on when the projected move is supposed to take place, I'd say hold on to the 1M and wait till closer to the release of the 4C GTA, that way you get to find out exactly which course the "new" Alfa is taking in terms of reliability and driving experience. It certainly will be more risky jumping on one of these launch editions IMO... And you know the GTA is in the works... Likely to offer all the CF bits of the launch edition (hopefully with a headlight design revision) plus the performance upgrade. 4C will be like the new BMW Mperformance line while the GTA will be akin to their M cars..
Though it is the less innovative of options, I'd say wait ... If you can. Consolation; you get to continue enjoying ONE OF THE best driving experiences on the planet.
Good luck!
Exactly what I was leaning towards providence! If I replace 1M with a "new" car, seems to me that only this Alfa has the chances of delivering similar or more thrills, depending on how it will fare in real world. Timing also helps a lot. I will skip launch editions, that's for sure already. Otherwise, like Pete and some others before suggested, used option should come from Stuttgart.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #51
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
If you're willing to go used, find a GT3 that hasn't been beat on. Much more of an experience than a Spyder. Prices should take a hit as the new one starts to sell in numbers, and you should be able to find one in a spec you'll like.
Or something like your jewel '69 911 Pete Thanks for suggestion
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #52
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

I consider the 1M to be one of the greatest cars ever made; a true balance between performance and practicality. If you are planning on selling it, you should replace it with a car that is equally as epic....and the only car I can think of is the 997.2 GT3. Furthermore, the GT3 is going to be a rare bird because it is the last of the manuals to be offered. Just my 2 cents

Good luck with the decision!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #53
Marioalex24
Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Lucky. Sucks for the ones that really wanted a 1M to keep but didn't get the chance to order a spot and now their going for a outrageous price. Not hating, if your making a large profit, more power to you bro. Just saying some of us didn't get the chance to buy one.

I personal think its the best modern M next to the old E46 M3, which was a great car to drive for me. Currently own E92 M3, it's good but nothing like the E46. So the 1M had both worlds in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #54
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekn8286 View Post
I consider the 1M to be one of the greatest cars ever made; a true balance between performance and practicality. If you are planning on selling it, you should replace it with a car that is equally as epic....and the only car I can think of is the 997.2 GT3. Furthermore, the GT3 is going to be a rare bird because it is the last of the manuals to be offered. Just my 2 cents

Good luck with the decision!
Isn't it unbelievable that new GT3 is NOT offered with a manual, even as an option? The end of the World as we know it!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #55
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioalex24 View Post
Lucky. Sucks for the ones that really wanted a 1M to keep but didn't get the chance to order a spot and now their going for a outrageous price. Not hating, if your making a large profit, more power to you bro. Just saying some of us didn't get the chance to buy one.

I personal think its the best modern M next to the old E46 M3, which was a great car to drive for me. Currently own E92 M3, it's good but nothing like the E46. So the 1M had both worlds in my opinion.
Agreed in all accounts! It is a great great car (I have waited and wished for it like 10 years honestly) and I am lucky. Unfortunately though, I am not lucky enough to keep it as long as I would like.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #56
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

Quote:
Isn't it unbelievable that new GT3 is NOT offered with a manual, even as an option? The end of the World as we know it!
Yes, I 100% agree with you! I know a lot of people are saying that "you won't miss the manual" or "the new GT3's transmission is just as engaging as the manual", but its just too hard for me to believe. We shall see what happens when the reviews come out
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #57
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

First meeting with the new Cayman

To all fellow forum members who put the new Cayman in my head successfully a while ago through this thread as the best substitute for an eventual replacement of my 1M: I've been spending some fun time in Porsche Germany web site configurator and recently I learned that Chile is receiving the first examples of new Cayman quite quickly compared to most other markets. The launch day is today and I got myself invited to the event; it seems to be probably too early to have a test drive but still a good chance to see the car in person. Since, most of users in this Forum never saw one in person yet due to different launch dates (for US end of the year I believe) I will post my impressions here, especially if I can manage a test drive. I will go there driving my 1M which may convince the dealer that I am no launch-crasher

For the moment, I feel like a base Cayman (not S) with tailor made option selections, precisely fitting my liking (manual box, no PCM, no PCCM, no full power seats, in white or racing yellow, with sport exhaust, with PTV including lsd etc.) will make more sense to me financial and other-wise vs. a similarly equipped S version. They say Chile will receive all Caymans only with PDK which may be a deal-breaker for me because Headquarters in Germany can deny to send a manual car in here even if I try to by-pass Chilean dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #58
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

My father had a Cayman S for a while. That was a fun car. I actually think the E82 platform closely resembles the feel of it, though its been a few years since i drove it or even sat in it. Minus all of the precision that the S had. Steering firmness was almost identical.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #59
lupoblu78
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by providence View Post
Good luck!
Exactly what I was leaning towards providence! If I replace 1M with a "new" car, seems to me that only this Alfa has the chances of delivering similar or more thrills, depending on how it will fare in real world. Timing also helps a lot. I will skip launch editions, that's for sure already. Otherwise, like Pete and some others before suggested, used option should come from Stuttgart.
A friend of mine is in the 4C product development at Alfa and has a track day in a couple of weeks .. he is a Lamborghini academy driving instructor so he knows what to look for will let you know what his impressions are
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #60
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

After the Porsche event

Cayman looks good in person but we all know that would happen. However, it does not look that good that I won't even need a test drive! Not like an imposing car, it doesn't seem to have the stance. What it has is the lignes, very classic shape, proportional, elegant indeed, especially in racing yellow, white was too mute in person. Rear integrated spoiler, front angle, curve of the hood, the roof and headlights or rear lights all look great, interior smells quality that only a M5 or above that can dream of. However, with plain black leather, no special trimming or color matching options selected, the show cars looked a bit too Audi-ish to my eyes, I mean interior. Quality is there but sportive or unique design no, very predictable, cold sophistication; there are too many buttons at the center consol, really so. This interior can sure be made more interesting with the choice of right and mostly expensive options. It needs more color and some character matching the exterior of the car.

Other details that I was not fond of: Tires were Good Year Eagle F1, this car may not need the best tire because of its fundamentals but I assume Porsche could do better than this since it is arguably their best handling sports car, especially thinking that they helped develop tires like Michelin PSS. Rear difuser looks a bit weird and definitely not sporty, stock exhaust tips also look a bit off to me but I would buy the sport exhaust which comes with different tips anyway, and you can see a good part of the exhaust from behind thanks to that difuser, you also can see a good deal of radiators and stuff at the front right and left side openings. Rear view mirrors could be better as well as the door handle design. And finally standard steel brakes look tiny, even behind standard 19 inch wheels which also look too plain, like they made them to convince you go choose a 20 inch good looking wheel than tell yourself that brakes are looking even smaller now so you better buy the PCCB option too, another plus they come with yellow calipers

I am being promised for a test drive already, no date could be talked yet. The cars are PDK equipped and I am curious to test a base car as well as a S to see if I can live with the new combination of an electro-mechanic steering and electronic e-brake button, plus auto start and stop in a mid engine rwd Porsche two seater! I hope the notorious balance of the whole will make me forget these details and I could have something to consider seriously when time comes to let 1M go.

All in all I was not that impressed from the looks, despite the fact that it has a fantastic shape and impressive perceived quality. The little flaws were too visible even at first sight though. On the way back home I was pushed to play a little bit by a E46 M3 which obviously noticed my car and got curious, still quick they are, but then I pressed the M button and MDM

Ah, there was a parked Aventador belonging to one of the guests in matte carbon black at the event, looks like a next generation space ship.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 04-12-2013 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #61
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupoblu78 View Post
A friend of mine is in the 4C product development at Alfa and has a track day in a couple of weeks .. he is a Lamborghini academy driving instructor so he knows what to look for will let you know what his impressions are
Vow! That's very cool, thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #62
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

keep the 1m.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #63
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

Quote:
Cayman looks good in person but we all know that would happen. However, it does not look that good that I won't even need a test drive! Not like an imposing car, it doesn't seem to have the stance. What it has is the lignes, very classic shape, proportional, elegant indeed, especially in racing yellow, white was too mute in person. Rear integrated spoiler, front angle, curve of the hood, the roof and headlights or rear lights all look great, interior smells quality that only a M5 or above that can dream of. However, with plain black leather, no special trimming or color matching options selected, the show cars looked a bit too Audi-ish to my eyes, I mean interior. Quality is there but sportive or unique design no, very predictable, cold sophistication; there are too many buttons at the center consol, really so. This interior can sure be made more interesting with the choice of right and mostly expensive options. It needs more color and some character matching the exterior of the car.

Other details that I was not fond of: Tires were Good Year Eagle F1, this car may not need the best tire because of its fundamentals but I assume Porsche could do better than this since it is arguably their best handling sports car, especially thinking that they helped develop tires like Michelin PSS. Rear difuser looks a bit weird and definitely not sporty, stock exhaust tips also look a bit off to me but I would buy the sport exhaust which comes with different tips anyway, and you can see a good part of the exhaust from behind thanks to that difuser, you also can see a good deal of radiators and stuff at the front right and left side openings. Rear view mirrors could be better as well as the door handle design. And finally standard steel brakes look tiny, even behind standard 19 inch wheels which also look too plain, like they made them to convince you go choose a 20 inch good looking wheel than tell yourself that brakes are looking even smaller now so you better buy the PCCB option too, another plus they come with yellow calipers

I am being promised for a test drive already, no date could be talked yet. The cars are DKG equipped and I am curious to test a base car as well as a S to see if I can live with the new combination of an electro-mechanic steering and electronic e-brake button, plus auto start and stop in a mid engine rwd Porsche two seater! I hope the notorious balance of the whole will make me forget these details and I could have something to consider seriously when time comes to let 1M go.

All in all I was not that impressed from the looks, despite the fact that it has a fantastic shape and impressive perceived quality. The little flaws were too visible even at first sight though. On the way back home I was pushed to play a little bit by a E46 M3 which obviously noticed my car and got curious, still quick they are, but then I pressed the M button and MDM

Ah, there was a parked Aventador belonging to one of the guests in matte carbon black at the event, looks like a next generation space ship.
i will go test drive it next tuesday and will let ya'll know how it rides...
      04-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #64
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Hmmmmmm

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #65
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine*
Hmmmmmm

I just saw this in the Siam centre in Bangkok and it looked awesome
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #66
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4GTS

I really enjoy having the opportunity to drive wirh others in the car (back seat), so that would rule out the Alfa and Cayman. I also prefer to be seen in something that illustrates my passion for driving and not just a fancy car that someone with a lot of money buys for a toy. One of the cool things about the 1m is just that, it's not a car that someone with unlimited funds will buy, (especially since they could only get a "used" car), only the dedicated enthusiast who had the vision and made the investment to reserve their spot or worked hard to find one after research brought them to the conclusion that this was the car to have. What do you replace it with? Why replace it? Maybe if you want a bigger car with more room? Something sexier or more elegant? What will offer these traits and still be exclusive (without costing an arm and a leg), and offer the combination of daily practicality and track ready performance? Probably an M3 will be closest but they are a dime a dozen around here. Wait a year for the next generation at least, plus they always have special editions. CLA45? Lightweight, classy, 30 mpg, very cool options including leather and alcantara dash and trim as well as 4 wheel drive. May drive well but it is a big unknown, and there will be a bunch of them around unless they do a special edition. Used GT3 as mentioned? Not a bad choice. Maybe a bit too rough for daily driving on terrible pavement?
How about keeping the 1m and changing things up a bit with a wrap, new wheels, etc.
After all, the "real" reason for changing cars is you probably are just a bit bored of it after a while and like looking forward to something new and different. At least that would be my reason.
Best!
Rob
Appreciate 0