BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #45
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I found the PSS sidewalls to be mushy as heck. My fronts rolled over during AX so much they wore the outside edge even with extra negative camber (-1.8°). So then I'd have to run higher pressures (38-40 hot) and had no grip. And then they started to overheat and chunk.

I don't think they were meant for real performance (meaning something like HPDE/AX) despite the hype. I think they were intended to perform well on the street, even aggressively so - but you will never push a tire as hard on the street as you will on track or at an AX. And that's where, at least in my experience, the tire falters. And if it only does well on the street, well, you can find good street tires for much less (even better "Extreme Performance Summer" tires are cheaper - and the PSS are only in the "Max Performance Summer" category).

But Michelin marketing has been very effective, and all over the internets boatloads of people think that PSS's are the Best. Tire. Ever. Then they scoff at people who pay less for better tires.
I don't disagree with the points you made (other than the scoffing part). The PSS is first and foremost a street tire, not an AX tire. Even if they were great at it, AX is just too hard on tires for it to be a cost-effective choice. I personally do not AX, which probably explains why I didn't experience the rollover you did. I wouldn't mind trying, as it sounds like fun. The only thing stopping me is that it's really hard on the car, more so than the 2-3 HPDEs I do per year.

And just for the record, I was not scoffing at anyone. I chose the PSS for myself 14 months ago based on 35 years of driving experience and knowing what I wanted out of a tire that I had to live with on a daily basis. I did my research and pulled the trigger. I stated my opinion to the OP based on my experience with them and the fact that they have lived up to all of my expectations. Are they the best tire ever? I doubt it. But all things considered, they are the best street tire I personally have ever run on any of my many cars, and I've been around long enough to have tried quite a few of them. Granted, I don't ever consider uber-soft tires like the RS3 or Star Specs for the street as they are simply too soft to get decent life out of them. Turns out I have a practical side.

For the OP, he'd have nothing to worry about come winter with the PSSs. I'm in NC and had absolutely zero trouble with them last winter. They will be just fine in sunny CA winters.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #46
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
I don't disagree with the points you made (other than the scoffing part). The PSS is first and foremost a street tire, not an AX tire. Even if they were great at it, AX is just too hard on tires for it to be a cost-effective choice. I personally do not AX, which probably explains why I didn't experience the rollover you did. I wouldn't mind trying, as it sounds like fun. The only thing stopping me is that it's really hard on the car, more so than the 2-3 HPDEs I do per year.

And just for the record, I was not scoffing at anyone. I chose the PSS for myself 14 months ago based on 35 years of driving experience and knowing what I wanted out of a tire that I had to live with on a daily basis. I did my research and pulled the trigger. I stated my opinion to the OP based on my experience with them and the fact that they have lived up to all of my expectations. Are they the best tire ever? I doubt it. But all things considered, they are the best street tire I personally have ever run on any of my many cars, and I've been around long enough to have tried quite a few of them. Granted, I don't ever consider uber-soft tires like the RS3 or Star Specs for the street as they are simply too soft to get decent life out of them. Turns out I have a practical side.

For the OP, he'd have nothing to worry about come winter with the PSSs. I'm in NC and had absolutely zero trouble with them last winter. They will be just fine in sunny CA winters.
The scoffing part wasn't directed at you (or anyone else in this thread, in fact) but was based on the typical Michelin fanboy attitude I've encountered in other threads and on other sites. I almost put that disclaimer in my post.

I, too, read the reviews and gave the PSS's a try. I was convinced to go back to the Dunlops. It turns out, based on my usage (7 or 8 AX's so far this year, and ~12 to go), that the Michelins didn't hold up significantly longer than the Star Specs did. I got 11,997 miles out of the Star Specs and 14,258 out of the Pilot Super Sports.
      09-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #47
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Worra - can you just order a set of tires now please? A tire, whose name I shant mention is now $864 for a set on tire rack. Just sayin...

This rubber war is becoming more and more like the Trojan War, which I assume was the last major rubber war.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #48
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

All things considered, no one in this thread has once answered the ultimate question. What is a better all around tire w occasional aggressive street driving than the PSS? From my experience, none. The RE-11's aren't good in the wet, the V12s are just sloppy in general, any pirellis are awful from my experience and the DW while a solid alternative are just loud.
      09-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #49
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Here. Get PSS tires, they are the best tire around.

Does that make the PSS cult happy?
Man, you've got a HUGE stick up your butt. Why exactly do you feel the need to go out of your way to insult everyone on the planet who ever dared to buy a F&$#^ing tire you don't like? You've got serious issues dude. I'd suggest you find a good shrink, stat.

As to the rest of your points, your insistence on being completely condescending and insulting pretty much means you've got nothing to say that's even remotely worth listening too. Have a good life.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #50
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
"Sunny." We're in Cali, but we have it all within 150-200 miles in winter! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party
      09-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #51
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I'll go drink the purple juice and buy PSS. They are the best.

I'm done trying to help people with tires. Go against PSS because you have actual evidence, and personal experience from PSS and other tires and you're scolded for doing so.

Absolutely wonderful.

It is a damn DD tire, get it through your heads. Both will perform fine, one cost twice as much. Use information and make an educated decision.

I've never had any issues with a simple DD tire, whether it be Continental, Hankook, Michelin... etc. People who classify DD tires as grippy and needs to out handle RFTs are most likely driving like ass hats.

Someone let me know when a thread about tires comes up and PSS isn't involved and I'll submit my $0.02 cents. Until then anything I say against this cult tire is magnified because the reviews say everything, and are always true.

Some people ITT have talked to me via PM, and know that actual evidence and personal experience and recommendations go a long way
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #52
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

I'll go drink the purple juice and buy PSS. They are the best.

I'm done trying to help people with tires. Go against PSS because you have actual evidence, and personal experience from PSS and other tires and you're scolded for doing so.

Absolutely wonderful.

It is a damn DD tire, get it through your heads. Both will perform fine, one cost twice as much. Use information and make an educated decision.

I've never had any issues with a simple DD tire, whether it be Continental, Hankook, Michelin... etc. People who classify DD tires as grippy and needs to out handle RFTs are most likely driving like ass hats.

Someone let me know when a thread about tires comes up and PSS isn't involved and I'll submit my $0.02 cents. Until then anything I say against this cult tire is magnified because the reviews say everything, and are always true.

Some people ITT have talked to me via PM, and know that actual evidence and personal experience and recommendations go a long way
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #53
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
"Sunny." We're in Cali, but we have it all within 150-200 miles in winter! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party
Yeah, I used to live in Brentwood before making my way to NC. Man I miss the Sierras. Truly beautiful country. Spent many a weekends at my favorite winter hangout, Kirkwood. Of course, for those trips I took the 4x4. Without Michelins .. LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #54
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

Quote:
Man, you've got a HUGE stick up your butt. Why exactly do you feel the need to go out of your way to insult everyone on the planet who ever dared to buy a F&$#^ing tire you don't like? You've got serious issues dude. I'd suggest you find a good shrink, stat.

As to the rest of your points, your insistence on being completely condescending and insulting pretty much means you've got nothing to say that's even remotely worth listening too. Have a good life.
Just put him on your ignore list. He is a tool and does this all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #55
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Absolutely wonderful.
I have absolutely no issues with the fact we clearly don't agree. What I took exception to was your insistence on unapologetically repeating the same insults over and over again. Sorry, but that's not the way I carry on personal relationships with anyone, much less some guy from the internet that doesn't even know me.

I propose that we just agree to disagree, shake hands like grown-ups, and move on. What do you say?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #56
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze
Quote:

Absolutely wonderful.
I have absolutely no issues with the fact we clearly don't agree. What I took exception to was your insistence on unapologetically repeating the same insults over and over again. Sorry, but that's not the way I carry on personal relationships with anyone, much less some guy from the internet that doesn't even know me.

I propose that we just agree to disagree, shake hands like grown-ups, and move on. What do you say?
Fine with me. My apologies.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #57
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
TI, too, read the reviews and gave the PSS's a try. I was convinced to go back to the Dunlops. It turns out, based on my usage (7 or 8 AX's so far this year, and ~12 to go), that the Michelins didn't hold up significantly longer than the Star Specs did. I got 11,997 miles out of the Star Specs and 14,258 out of the Pilot Super Sports.
That's interesting. Before my run-in with the pothole, I was at 11k on my PSSs and still had 50% left on the rear and 70% on the fronts, with 2 HPDEs. Those Star Specs sound pretty intriguing. A fellow HPDEr I talked to at the last event I went to was running Star Specs and led me to believe they had a much shorter life span than that. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #58
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
All things considered, no one in this thread has once answered the ultimate question. What is a better all around tire w occasional aggressive street driving than the PSS? From my experience, none. The RE-11's aren't good in the wet, the V12s are just sloppy in general, any pirellis are awful from my experience and the DW while a solid alternative are just loud.
Thank you for nailing the point of my question!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #59
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Kgolf31 - I appreciate your perspective as well, even IF the PSS is a great tire, a discussion is boring without someone arguing the other side. I have no loyalties to any tire as of yet, so I'm just taking the info as it comes. I do have to say though, with regard to:

Quote:
I did put PSS in the thread title, so can't say you weren't warned
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #60
hyphy1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
For a DD tire I think PSS are overrated. The V12s are a nice tire and you don't need anything fantastic for a glorified grocery getter IMO.

I just don't think the PSS fits in a DD category or high performance. It is in its own category that is ran off of people who recommend it based off of their experience with only that tire and nothing better.

Once again, IMO. I realize people aren't going to like this post but it is the truth from my experiences.
Appreciate 0