BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

How frequently does your "low tire pressure" warning come up?

135 M Sports Wheels and Tires.

The first warning came up about over a month ago. With the front left wheel. Went to Costco and filled it up.

This past week - I drove up to Northern California - parked it in a garage - and then next morning - my rear right tires showed up as low pressure.

Does the low pressure warning come up as frequently for everyone? I've never had to "top off" my tires so often with my previous cars (Civic) - but seeing that that car never had a monitor gauge - I wouldn't have known it if were low until I was getting my oil change.

A peculiar thing though - the first time I had a low pressure warning- I filled up the tire and it seems that I didn't have to reset my TPMS - however the second time - I filled the real wheel up to spec and it still shows that it was low so I HAD to reset the TPMS - anyone have inconsistent behaviors like this?

Last edited by Ajumepke; 11-30-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Only once in the year that I've owned it... and that's because it got cold outside.

I'd say you've got a leak.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know at what air pressure they come on?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I've only had mine since late July but my warning light has never come on. I carry a compressor and check my tires fairly regularly, however.

Jim
      11-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Every time the outside temperature dropped significantly.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

every two months. I live in so cal. Not much temp change here. I bring it to the dealer every 2 months. They said it was normal and that a lot of people brings their car back in to get the airs filled.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

33lbs or below is what most TPMS systems alert at. Here in CO, it's a real PITA. Warm sunshine one day, freezing the next.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1761 View Post
every two months. I live in so cal. Not much temp change here. I bring it to the dealer every 2 months. They said it was normal and that a lot of people brings their car back in to get the airs filled.
That sounds about right 1.5 month to 2 month.

It was a lot colder in NoCal than in SoCal which could be the cause of the pressure change and subsequent alert.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Please tell me you don't take your car to the dealer to have air added to your tires.
There are some things a man should be able to handle on his own.
Maintaining properly inflated tires is one of them.
JMHO
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
techS54
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i

FYI, when I first got my 1 the TPM light came on a few times, I'd check pressure, find it to be low and inspect wheels & tires for problems- no punctures/cracks whatsoever. I checked the torque on the hex nuts that secured the TPMS valvestem to the rim (visible from outside the wheels) and found all 4 were loose by about 1/2-1 full turn allowing air to leak around the stems! WTF? You might want to check yours. Sometimes their bitchin' over- engineered torque wrenches used to assemble our cars at the factory are a little off.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
Please tell me you don't take your car to the dealer to have air added to your tires.
There are some things a man should be able to handle on his own.
Maintaining properly inflated tires is one of them.
JMHO

I think there is a defect in my tire, tht is the reason why i bring it to them just to show them. I finally got a tire pressure gauge, and i notice that only the left side of my tire deflates. I broguht it in to the dealer a wk ago to have it all inflated and 1 wk later just the left rear tire is deflated. I asked the person at the desk when you bring your car for maintence/service , what they told me was that it is common to lose 10 psi in just 1 wk and it is normal to have low tire pressure in tires even if it is only just 1 tire.

I question his idea of how that did not make sense. IF it was the change in temperature causing the low tire pressure, then why did all the other 3 tires still have normal tire pressure. He couldnt say anything new other than the same phrase of change in temp = loss of tire pressure and that he said it is common.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1761 View Post
I think there is a defect in my tire, tht is the reason why i bring it to them just to show them. I finally got a tire pressure gauge, and i notice that only the left side of my tire deflates. I broguht it in to the dealer a wk ago to have it all inflated and 1 wk later just the left rear tire is deflated. I asked the person at the desk when you bring your car for maintence/service , what they told me was that it is common to lose 10 psi in just 1 wk and it is normal to have low tire pressure in tires even if it is only just 1 tire.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
wtzouris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive Sports Wagon

Great comment about the TPMS valvestem nut, what is the proper torque for those? I haven't had any issues, I think if you go 2 months or so you probably will get a warning, because RFT tires in particular can lose 1-2 lbs of pressure a month. so check every two weeks, then every month thereafter. And perform a TPMS Reset every time you add air after a warning, and otherwise every 2-3 months as a precaution.

In my experience I have never had to bleed air out of the tires in warmer weather, just add in colder weather. But I check pressure in the morning, in the shade, after leaving the car with no miles driven for at least 6 hours. I think I wrote elsewhere that I really like the gauges from Griot's garage, especially the talking tire gauge.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

Last winter I had it happen to me all the time.
The first couple times I got freaked out and put a couple pounds of air in them to be safe.

Now I just check the pressure myself and if its in the 30s I just drive on them and the heat will bring the pressure up and resolve the low pressure condition.
Appreciate 0