BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
acid rain / water spotting

Ok...I have gone through and searched and found many options so I thought I would ask for opinions. Any DETAILERS out there care to comment Here is my situation; i travel for business so I need to park at the airport and company will only pay for economy (outside parking). The last two weeks I arrived at my car upon returning to find many water spots. I tried washing, clay-bar, and waxing. Nothing worked 100% and my clear bra is worse than my clear coat.

I found the following recommendations upon sesarching to remove the water spots/acid rain:
1) Meguiar's scratch X
2) 3M's Finess
3) 2:1 - distilled water:white vinegar
4) 2:1 - distilled water:Isopropyl alcohol
5) Professional detail - I have two options; BMW or 3rd Party.

Last issue:
Since I travel it is going to be a pain in the ass to re-work the car each time it rains while I am on a business trip...is there anything I can use to better protect my clear coat? Keep in mind I believe there is not a lot one can do to protect the clear coat against acid rain, etching is etching. I work for a chemical company and we etch the crap out of many types of substrate to polish things up.

One more thing; before any of you state "Do not take you 1'er to the airport", this is not an option. I bought this car as a daily driver and to enjoy driving daily. I was not satisfied with my 328 or Acura. That said...if I had a 911 or Cayman S I would be driving a Honda Civic to the airport.

Ok...let me hear it and thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

Once your water spot is fixed, 2 coat sealant and a coat of carnauba wax will surely last for 2 weeks with full protection.

Kcc
      08-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcc View Post
Once your water spot is fixed, 2 coat sealant and a coat of carnauba wax will surely last for 2 weeks with full protection.

Kcc
Yep, leaning towards 2 coats (Menzerna Pwr Lock Sealant) plus Meguiar's Carnauba wax. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Two words: Car Cover. Oops, I'm not a detailer, does that count?

BTW, if you have Jet Black, good luck keeping etch/swirl free, it's ridiculously soft clearcoat and non-metallic properties will drive you crazy.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Ok...I have gone through and searched and found many options so I thought I would ask for opinions. Any DETAILERS out there care to comment Here is my situation; i travel for business so I need to park at the airport and company will only pay for economy (outside parking). The last two weeks I arrived at my car upon returning to find many water spots. I tried washing, clay-bar, and waxing. Nothing worked 100% and my clear bra is worse than my clear coat.

I found the following recommendations upon sesarching to remove the water spots/acid rain:
1) Meguiar's scratch X
2) 3M's Finess
3) 2:1 - distilled water:white vinegar
4) 2:1 - distilled water:Isopropyl alcohol
5) Professional detail - I have two options; BMW or 3rd Party.

Last issue:
Since I travel it is going to be a pain in the ass to re-work the car each time it rains while I am on a business trip...is there anything I can use to better protect my clear coat? Keep in mind I believe there is not a lot one can do to protect the clear coat against acid rain, etching is etching. I work for a chemical company and we etch the crap out of many types of substrate to polish things up.

One more thing; before any of you state "Do not take you 1'er to the airport", this is not an option. I bought this car as a daily driver and to enjoy driving daily. I was not satisfied with my 328 or Acura. That said...if I had a 911 or Cayman S I would be driving a Honda Civic to the airport.

Ok...let me hear it and thanks in advance.
Sorry to her about hose marks. To get rid of the white residue you can wash, clay or use the vinegar method you mentioned. However water marks can often etch in to the clear coat, so if marks remain that will require a stronger option. It's possible a light cleaning polish will remove the marks like the P21S Paintwork Cleanser or something like the Klasse AIO (see below). The Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover is the easiest way to remove light to medium etchings. If that doesn't work step up to a polish like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and possibly the M105.

To help remove light watermarks and protect against water marks try using a product like the Klasse All In One (AIO). It protects really well against water marks and it's also a cleaner so it's possible it will remove very light water marks. Might be the one step solution you are looking for.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
Sorry to her about hose marks. To get rid of the white residue you can wash, clay or use the vinegar method you mentioned. However water marks can often etch in to the clear coat, so if marks remain that will require a stronger option. It's possible a light cleaning polish will remove the marks like the P21S Paintwork Cleanser or something like the Klasse AIO (see below). The Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover is the easiest way to remove light to medium etchings. If that doesn't work step up to a polish like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and possibly the M105.

To help remove light watermarks and protect against water marks try using a product like the Klasse All In One (AIO). It protects really well against water marks and it's also a cleaner so it's possible it will remove very light water marks. Might be the one step solution you are looking for.

Greg @ DI
Thanks Greg...much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Another input
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

3M's Finess It - really works wonders. Have you tried it>? I have used it before on scratchs and neglected paint... even just using it by hand it is just stunning. 3M makes three different cuts or grades of this product too. I always use the fine grade.

What about that Aquartz Iron Cut stuff. I think Phill from Detailer's Domain sells it. You spray it all over the paint... and it reacts (turns purple) with the fine metal particles in the car's clear coat. You then wash it off the car. http://www.detailersdomain.com/Aquar...Cut_p_327.html

I would then clay the car and seal it. I love Menzerna Power Lock Sealant. I always keep coming back to it. But I have read sooo many great reviews of Blackfire Wet Diamond, All Finish Paint Protection. It is on my must have list to try soon.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...roduct-review/

A lot of guys LOVE this stuff... Optimum Opti-Coat 2

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Optim...t-2_p_326.html

For those inbetween washes (while on the road) I use Chemical Guys (Strawberry scented) silicone detailer for the paint. It really works nice.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Boomstick1491
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post

Greg @ DI
This is off topic slightly, but I came home Friday night after being overseas for five weeks and found a strange concrete-like water drip on the center of my hood and two long trails going down toward the headlights. Apparently something dripped off the ceiling of the garage in our condo building and sat on the paint for some time before I got home. Unfortunately my wife didn't know about it, nor would she have thought to clean it off immediately, so I had to contend with it when I arrived. I hit it with some QD, which took up most of the residue, though you could still see the etching and then washed the car the following day. That almost removed the appearance, but one of the trails and the main spot (the genesis of the trails) remained visible.

This morning, I began a full exterior detail, which included CG Citrus Wash and Gloss at full strength to remove the previous protection, clay, Megs 105 with an orange pad, Megs 205 with a white pad, and then EZ Creme Glaze with a black pad all with the PC. The trail was gone, but the main spot was still visible under glancing light. I hit the main spot again with Megs 105, this time with a yellow pad, then reapplied 205 with the white and the EZ Creme with the black. It's better, but still there. Any recommendations on ways to get rid of this? Should I try a purple wool and 105 again tomorrow, followed by the other steps? Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I am no detailing expert but it sounds like you need to increase the "cut" factor.

Have you ever tried using "3M's Finess It" I really like it for getting rid of imperfections in the paint. It gets rid of most scratches too. There are three versions fo rcutting strength.

I think we need one of the detailing experts to step in though.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
3M's Finess It - really works wonders. Have you tried it>? I have used it before on scratchs and neglected paint... even just using it by hand it is just stunning. 3M makes three different cuts or grades of this product too. I always use the fine grade.

What about that Aquartz Iron Cut stuff. I think Phill from Detailer's Domain sells it. You spray it all over the paint... and it reacts (turns purple) with the fine metal particles in the car's clear coat. You then wash it off the car. http://www.detailersdomain.com/Aquar...Cut_p_327.html

I would then clay the car and seal it. I love Menzerna Power Lock Sealant. I always keep coming back to it. But I have read sooo many great reviews of Blackfire Wet Diamond, All Finish Paint Protection. It is on my must have list to try soon.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...roduct-review/

A lot of guys LOVE this stuff... Optimum Opti-Coat 2

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Optim...t-2_p_326.html

For those inbetween washes (while on the road) I use Chemical Guys (Strawberry scented) silicone detailer for the paint. It really works nice.

Dackel
Dackel, thanks...the 3M Finess worked. I would like to try the Menzerna's Power Lock but will get a Professional Detail first to fix some other surface issues on the car. The clear bra is f'd up still but I dont think there is much I can do about that.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:43 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Dackel, thanks...the 3M Finess worked. I would like to try the Menzerna's Power Lock but will get a Professional Detail first to fix some other surface issues on the car. The clear bra is f'd up still but I dont think there is much I can do about that.
Maybe try some 3M Finess It on your clear bra. It couldn't make it any worse.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
i thought the clear bra was never supposed to be polished at all....?

lol on one hand, i hope i'm wrong so i can clean mine up. other the other hand....actually screw the other hand, i just hope i'm wrong.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Maybe try some 3M Finess It on your clear bra. It couldn't make it any worse.
Yes, already tried and unfortunately it did not remove the water stains. I read the disclaimer for the clear bra and it states "water spots baked in by the sun cannot be removed and are not covered by warranty"
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by and 1 View Post
i thought the clear bra was never supposed to be polished at all....?

lol on one hand, i hope i'm wrong so i can clean mine up. other the other hand....actually screw the other hand, i just hope i'm wrong.
Actually, you need to polish the clear bra with a good liquid wax (i use liquid glass) to fill in the pores to help prevent crap from building up.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Once you get the finish looking new again, pay the $10 extra to park inside at the Airport(Ohare and Midway), or take a Cab.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #17
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
Once you get the finish looking new again, pay the $10 extra to park inside at the Airport(Ohare and Midway), or take a Cab.
Company wont pay for a cab or the difference in price for economy & indoor parking ($14)..there is a method to their madness and I cant go into details since other employees are members. Besides, it is a pain in the ass to depart from the indoor garage to the hwy during rush hour. All is good...I figured out how to remove the water spots (except the bra) which is fine with me.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
Quote:
Actually, you need to polish the clear bra with a good liquid wax (i use liquid glass) to fill in the pores to help prevent crap from building up.
how do you polish with a wax? that'd be like trying to sand wood with the back side of sandpaper

i do use menzerna seal on the bra tho

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Just buy a car cover and put it on before you leave your car. Problem solved...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #20
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
how do you polish with a wax? that'd be like trying to sand wood with the back side of sandpaper

i do use menzerna seal on the bra tho
Sorry, Brain-Fart...should've been 'liquid polish'.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #21
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
but you do actually polish the clear bra? only by hand? i've only ever heard not to touch it with anything polish-related....wash/wax/detail only

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #22
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
but you do actually polish the clear bra? only by hand? i've only ever heard not to touch it with anything polish-related....wash/wax/detail only
Yes, it is recommended by the applicator to apply "liquid Glass" in order to fill the pores. Doesn't help prevent water spots but it does help with bird crap.
Appreciate 0