BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Help with bleeding clutch after CDV install

I installed a new CDV today and I cannot get my clutch bled properly. It just goes straight to the floor with no pressure.

I had someone pump the clutch while I loosened the bleed screw and that did not work.

I hooked up my motive bleeder and put some pressure on the fluid and that did not work.

Any ideas about what I am doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You have air in the system. Start over and use the Motive pressure bleeder. Pump it up to no more than 12 psi. Then bleed the clutch pedal. make sure there isn't an air pocke in the brake res bc there is a divider inside of it.

Once you have bleed the system with a pressure bleeder.., you will need to "pump" the clutch pedal. For the first few strokes you might even have to use your hand to pick up teh pedal off of the floor. After a few pumps - it will pump back up to (a firm) life. Even so... you might need say fifty pedal pumps before it feels firm.

Also... make sure you have no leaks - letting air into the clutch hydraulic system.

Go to the CDV delete DIY to read more (bleeding tips).

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You have air in the system. Start over and use the Motive pressure bleeder. Pump it up to no more than 12 psi. Then bleed the clutch pedal. make sure there isn't an air pocke in the brake res bc there is a divider inside of it.

Once you have bleed the system with a pressure bleeder.., you will need to "pump" the clutch pedal. For the first few strokes you might even have to use your hand to pick up teh pedal off of the floor. After a few pumps - it will pump back up to (a firm) life. Even so... you might need say fifty pedal pumps before it feels firm.

Also... make sure you have no leaks - letting air into the clutch hydraulic system.

Go to the CDV delete DIY to read more (bleeding tips).

Dackel
Thanks for the info. I deleted the CDV in my E46 M3 and had no problems. I finally gave up on this one because I was getting too frustrated.

My brake reservoir is about half way between full and the add indicator and I do not have any more brake fluid. Do you think I will be able to get pressure in the system without the reservoir being full.

I think that I attached a small hose to the bleed valve on my M3 so air would not suck back into the system. Do I need to do that on this car.

I did not have any leaks before I replace the CDV. I clamped the brake hose with a C Clamp so I would not loose much fluid before I removed it. I guess that I could I have created a small hole but I doubt it.

I imagine that I would be able to hear air once I hook the motive bleeder up if there is indeed a leak.

Also, did you put brake fluid in the motive bleeder before adding pressure to the system or did you just fill the reservoir and then pressurize.

I don't know why I am having so much trouble with this because this should be a simple 30 minute task.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Lambobimmer; 06-04-2011 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Clutch systems are self bleeding. Just keep pumping, air will eventually make it's way back to the booster. Bleeding like a brake caliper never works. Just make sure the fluid level is over the clutch feed line off the reservoir and you'll be fine. May take a while, but have faith...she'll come back!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep

I got is all figured out.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
Thanks for the info. I deleted the CDV in my E46 M3 and had no problems. I finally gave up on this one because I was getting too frustrated.

My brake reservoir is about half way between full and the add indicator and I do not have any more brake fluid. Do you think I will be able to get pressure in the system without the reservoir being full.

I think that I attached a small hose to the bleed valve on my M3 so air would not suck back into the system. Do I need to do that on this car.

I did not have any leaks before I replace the CDV. I clamped the brake hose with a C Clamp so I would not loose much fluid before I removed it. I guess that I could I have created a small hole but I doubt it.

I imagine that I would be able to hear air once I hook the motive bleeder up if there is indeed a leak.

Also, did you put brake fluid in the motive bleeder before adding pressure to the system or did you just fill the reservoir and then pressurize.

I don't know why I am having so much trouble with this because this should be a simple 30 minute task.

Thanks for your help.

I always put in a liter (or more) of new fresh brake fluid when ever I use the Motive Bleeder. As you know (by now) it is pure HELL when you introduce air into the sealed hydraulic system. I don't care IF the brake res is over filled after I am done. I have a clean turkey baster to suck up any extra brake fluid when I am finished bleeding the system.

IF you are low on brake fluid I would wait until you have more patients AND brake fluid on hand. Then re-bleed your system. Somtimes you might have to do it a few times since it sounds like you have air in your system. be careful not to over tighten the bleed nipple - bc it is easy to break it (clean) off!

When you bleed the brakes or the clutch slave nipple - you should ALWAYS use a clear tube on the bleed screw/nipple. This will show you when you have "burped" some air bubbles out of the hydraulic system. I also found it helps to turn that bleed nipple a full turn or so... as teh fluid is pouring out of it. Sometimes air can be trapped in there. Also use a regular screw driver to tap on the hydraulic lines down there... as fluid is running thru the bleed nipple - using the Motive bleeder.

One more thing... did you make sure you did not run the clutch feed part of the brake fluid res out of fluid? It is very easy to do that! Take a look at this post #59 in the "CDV delete DIY thread...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=59

let me know IF you need any more advice. This CDV can be taxing on ones nerves - but it IS worth it!

Dackel
Appreciate 0