BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

04-25-2019, 05:54 AM   #45
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
sounds like you have a tough decision to make.

I don't agree with the never sell the NSX crowd.

sure, it probably will go up in value, but so does properly and other investments. cash out and invest.

Lease the newer 781s.
you should/ need to drive what makes you happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #46
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

NSX looks amazing. I wouldn't do it unless it's for a GT4 or R8. I'd hold off
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #47
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Nice! Well I went and test drove the one in Irvine today...what a gem of a car!!!

This little Betty was the base 2016 model 981 with sport suspension /the 20" Carrera wheels /6 speed manual .. my salesman happen to be a former SCCA instructor.... couldn’t have asked for a better salesman to take a test drive with!!! Holy crap !!! The Cayman is amazing!!!

First thing he told me was to drive it like I stole it... after I drove it around the industrial area of Irvine for a few laps, he asked me if I wanted a demonstration of what the car was really capable of... hell yes! So he hopped in the driver seat and showed me what this car was all about .... let me just say IM SOLD!!!

Wow!!!! The thing sticks to the road like glue!!! Most drivers would never even come close to pushing this car past its limits.... just incredible

Long day... just got home. I’ll have more later

I would suggest to everyone to check out this car... and try and push it as hard as you can. It won’t flinch
Even though I said to keep the NSX I have heard good things about the Caymans and have been really interested to try one, especially on a track. Have definitely considered one for a next car. Whats your decision, keeping the NSX or getting a Cayman/R8?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #48
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
NSX all day, all night even for a GT4 or a Cayman R. This is coming from someone who loves Caymans.

The NSX is a car from legends.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #49
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Even though I said to keep the NSX I have heard good things about the Caymans and have been really interested to try one, especially on a track. Have definitely considered one for a next car. Whats your decision, keeping the NSX or getting a Cayman/R8?
All things being equal I would hop on the Cayman in a minute!! Especially considering it still has an unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty thru 2022

Even though my NSX was ahead of its time....it's not 24 years ahead of its time which is the 2016 Cayman.... I was thoroughly impressed with that car from looks, to the brakes, to the noise and especially the magical force it has that keeps it on the road when you could swear it should have spun

It's a very hard decision as the NSX is timeless and I still just enjoy seeing it in my garage let alone driving it, but there is something about that Cayman that has me wanting to sale the NSX and get into something newer and fresher...

I understand that the Porsche is a dime a dozen here in So Cal and it doesn't have the cool factor that the NSX brings to the local Cars and Coffee meets, but my god that car is what they say it is... the best handling Porsche and probably one of the best handling cars in the world. I want one, but hate the thought of giving up the NSX.

My salesman/stunt driver had just recently ordered his own Cayman(718) and told me how he was always a 911 guy, until one day his friend talked him into trying his Cayman out while driving the canyons up in LA....he said after 30 minutes he was done with 911's

I'm thinking I'll be kicking myself in ten years when my $45-50k NSX is worth maybe $75k or more, but at the same time always wishing a had that Cayman.

Tough call, but I think I'm gonna keep the NSX ...but if I had $50k burning a hole in my pocket I would have drove that Cayman home yesterday

Just gonn have to figure out another way to get one , but I'm seriously considering selling
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #50
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
All things being equal I would hop on the Cayman in a minute!! Especially considering it still has an unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty thru 2022

Even though my NSX was ahead of its time....it's not 24 years ahead of its time which is the 2016 Cayman.... I was thoroughly impressed with that car from looks, to the brakes, to the noise and especially the magical force it has that keeps it on the road when you could swear it should have spun

It's a very hard decision as the NSX is timeless and I still just enjoy seeing it in my garage let alone driving it, but there is something about that Cayman that has me wanting to sale the NSX and get into something newer and fresher...

I understand that the Porsche is a dime a dozen here in So Cal and it doesn't have the cool factor that the NSX brings to the local Cars and Coffee meets, but my god that car is what they say it is... the best handling Porsche and probably one of the best handling cars in the world. I want one, but hate the thought of giving up the NSX.

My salesman/stunt driver had just recently ordered his own Cayman(718) and told me how he was always a 911 guy, until one day his friend talked him into trying his Cayman out while driving the canyons up in LA....he said after 30 minutes he was done with 911's

I'm thinking I'll be kicking myself in ten years when my $45-50k NSX is worth maybe $75k or more, but at the same time always wishing a had that Cayman.

Tough call, but I think I'm gonna keep the NSX ...but if I had $50k burning a hole in my pocket I would have drove that Cayman home yesterday

Just gonn have to figure out another way to get one , but I'm seriously considering selling
I don't think it'll be 10 years before you kick yourself, I think it'll be within a few personally.

My philosophy when it comes to cars is to have as much variety as possible. It's OK to have a comfy DD with all the tech, and then have the weekend car be as basic and analogue as possible. I view my Z4M Roadster in the same light. It's good at being fun, and absolutely poor at everything else. I got to drive a pre-LCI NSX that was pretty stock. Not mind blowing in terms of speed, but I think the car would be great fun in the mountains. More so than a non GT4 Cayman I think.

Also, there's something to be said about those cars. My buddy had a GT4 and the car was so supremely capable in the mountains. Never driven a car that is so confidence inspiring. But at the same time, the limits were so damn high that it would be impossible to push 100% outside of the track.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2019, 06:19 AM   #51
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I don't think it'll be 10 years before you kick yourself, I think it'll be within a few personally.

My philosophy when it comes to cars is to have as much variety as possible. It's OK to have a comfy DD with all the tech, and then have the weekend car be as basic and analogue as possible. I view my Z4M Roadster in the same light. It's good at being fun, and absolutely poor at everything else. I got to drive a pre-LCI NSX that was pretty stock. Not mind blowing in terms of speed, but I think the car would be great fun in the mountains. More so than a non GT4 Cayman I think.

Also, there's something to be said about those cars. My buddy had a GT4 and the car was so supremely capable in the mountains. Never driven a car that is so confidence inspiring. But at the same time, the limits were so damn high that it would be impossible to push 100% outside of the track.
Yeah, that's kinda why I want to do the swap.... as much as I love my NSX, it's my third one in the last 17 years....currently have had my latest one 5 1/2 years....I need some variety, but realize selling the NSX for a depreciating Porsche is silly...but the car was so damn good it's very tempting. I think the base model might actually be the most fun as far as just everyday driving and canyon runs, because you can actually push the car a bit harder then you would in the GT4 although if I had the coin the GT4 would be the one to get.

Another thing going for the Lightly used car I test drove is the unlimited mileage warranty through 2022 that the CPO comes with.

There are plenty of pros and cons and it really is a tougher decision then I thought it would be....some people say hell yes they would do the trade, but most people think I'm nuts to do it.

I think I'm gonna ultimately keep the NSX and just figure out another way to get the Cayman 981 sooner than later.... looks like I'm gonna have to dump the f32(don't tell my wife )

1992 timeless beauty

Or

2016 track devil

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 04-27-2019 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 10:08 PM   #52
MR.LVZ
Rep
Drives: M6 GC/ Acura NSX/ TSI Talon

Don't sell your NSX!!!! Mine has appreciated over 10k since I bought mine a couple years ago. I need to drive it more 😒

Get a cheap Miata or something if your wanting something else to mess with a tweak. I bought a TSI Talon to mess with and have just done small bolt one to the NSX
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #53
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Keep the NSX! I use to live in Temecula before moving to Ohio 7 years back and I use to see a blue NSX pretty badass driving around. was that one of your earlier NSX's?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #54
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Guess I am in the minority here who would take the cayman over the nsx any day. While the nsx was awesome in 1995, now it's just a cool old car to me. I would rather have something considerably newer and I love Porsche's so easy choice for me lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #55
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Guess I am in the minority here who would take the cayman over the nsx any day. While the nsx was awesome in 1995, now it's just a cool old car to me. I would rather have something considerably newer and I love Porsche's so easy choice for me lol.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Cayman but it would be foolish in the long run when one car is rare and keeps going up in value while the other is mass production and will continue to depreciate.

Probably just gonna hold out until my NSX is worth enough to swap it for a GT4

Or sell wifey's f32 and explorer and get her a Cayman

Dang it I want that 981
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #56
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.LVZ View Post
Don't sell your NSX!!!! Mine has appreciated over 10k since I bought mine a couple years ago. I need to drive it more ��

Get a cheap Miata or something if your wanting something else to mess with a tweak. I bought a TSI Talon to mess with and have just done small bolt one to the NSX
Nice! Yeah I stole mine from the original owner 5 years ago and it's gone up $20k for what I got it for(I've put $10k into it though in new clutch, hoses and mods) I don't think it is about getting a cheaper Miata or something to throw around for me...it's the newness and looks/performance of the 981 Cayman that has me obsessed.

Probably be buried in my NSX, so I've pretty much decided I'm not gonna sale(for now anyway )

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Keep the NSX! I use to live in Temecula before moving to Ohio 7 years back and I use to see a blue NSX pretty badass driving around. was that one of your earlier NSX's?
I had a silver one back then....

It was probably my friend Todd, he had a 2005 Long Beach Blue on blue back then......which he regrets selling

Although he's doing just fine these days as he now has a 720s

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 04-28-2019 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
Fakemike368.50
      04-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #57
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Cayman but it would be foolish in the long run when one car is rare and keeps going up in value while the other is mass production and will continue to depreciate.

Probably just gonna hold out until my NSX is worth enough to swap it for a GT4

Or sell wifey's f32 and explorer and get her a Cayman

Dang it I want that 981
Sure I suppose from an investment position the nsx is unique. Obviously, the average car decreases in value over time so something that appreciates is a rare thing. Maybe it's best to hang on to the nsx for a few more years and then use the profits towards a Porsche 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #58
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I would say keep the NSX even though I’ve never driven one. I own a 718 and love it though.

If you did decide to trade, you should go for the 981 GTS. Not really much more than an S and you get all the performance bells and whistles plus a modest bump in power.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:44 PM   #59
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Try driving a Cayman GTS 👀
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #60
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I would say keep the NSX even though I’ve never driven one. I own a 718 and love it though.

If you did decide to trade, you should go for the 981 GTS. Not really much more than an S and you get all the performance bells and whistles plus a modest bump in power.
Nice... I bet you're loving that car!!! Any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Try driving a Cayman GTS ��
Yeah, I'm actually gonna meet up with a fellow bimmerpost member who has one and take the NSX and the GTS to the world famous Palomar Mtn for some twisties...maybe he'll let me drive it

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 04-28-2019 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #61
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice... I bet you're loving that car!!! Any pics?

Yeah, I'm actually gonna meet up with a fellow bimmerpost member who has one and take the NSX and the GTS to the world famous Palomar Mtn for some twisties...maybe he'll let me drive it

Certainly:

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #62
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Great looking Boxster. I saw my first new Z4 this weekend, what a let down, just a huge, heavy, overstyled mess. Porsche must be laughing.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2019, 04:55 PM   #63
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Great looking Boxster. I saw my first new Z4 this weekend, what a let down, just a huge, heavy, overstyled mess. Porsche must be laughing.
As much as I loved my 135is, I had considered waiting for the Z4. My wife always wanted a Porsche, so I agreed to go looking with her. We ended up getting that Boxster. We both just loved it. There are cars with more power, but it's still fast, drives and handles great. Only thing I wish it had was the smaller steering wheel, but we saved $15k over new by going CPO and it only had 1700 miles. We switch cars a lot but I have a feeling we will keep this one, provided it stays reliable.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      04-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #64
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
As much as I loved my 135is, I had considered waiting for the Z4. My wife always wanted a Porsche, so I agreed to go looking with her. We ended up getting that Boxster. We both just loved it. There are cars with more power, but it's still fast, drives and handles great. Only thing I wish it had was the smaller steering wheel, but we saved $15k over new by going CPO and it only had 1700 miles. We switch cars a lot but I have a feeling we will keep this one, provided it stays reliable.
Nice..$15k off for 1700 miles...can't beat that.

Much better choice over a 1 series or Z4

I gotta talk my wife into getting "her" a Cayman
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      04-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #65
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Consider a Spyder. You'll get to play with Legos again.

[IMG]https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/zN...-spy-photo.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #66
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice..$15k off for 1700 miles...can't beat that.

Much better choice over a 1 series or Z4

I gotta talk my wife into getting "her" a Cayman
I wanted Cayman, she wanted Boxster. But I have to say, the soft top isn’t so much of a compromise. It’s pretty quiet with top up, and opening and closing is very quick. It’s so convenient I find myself using it more than I thought. With my Stingray, the targa requires more planning and you better know it’s not going to rain if you take the top off lol.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread