BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #67
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebilad
I fitted the ssk to my coupe 2 weeks ago in about 15 minutes. It can be fitted from the top just removing the gaiter and rubber grommet then a pair of pliers to remove the bush and a screwdriver for the clip!
Wow, impressive. Everyone said you had to pull mids and driveshaft. oh well, 200 bucks also included maddad midpipe install. Still better than 600 and 3 week wait at stealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #68
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebilad View Post
I fitted the ssk to my coupe 2 weeks ago in about 15 minutes. It can be fitted from the top just removing the gaiter and rubber grommet then a pair of pliers to remove the bush and a screwdriver for the clip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
You must have tiny hands!
Really!!!

Having mine installed today.

Will speak with the tech.. Sounds too easy..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #69
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Any pics of the install? If I can do this I will order these parts today!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #70
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Any pics of the install? If I can do this I will order these parts today!!!!
Not an e82, but the procedure is basically the same. I would not recommend the UUC SSK. Just buy the N54 Perf short shifter lever(part number posted above a few posts before this one).

You really need some hands and lots of patience to do this install from above only. Also have a few really LONG and thin needle nose pliers comes in handy. Be sure to have some extra c clips on hand, yellow washers for the linkage, high temp grease, a new plastic bearing(bushing for the new lever) and the SS lever itself.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:10 AM   #71
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You must have tiny hands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Really!!!

Having mine installed today.

Will speak with the tech.. Sounds too easy..
Installed, and a amazing must do mod, as most have posted.

@Sebilad , man, you must have small hands and some very fancy tools to remove that lower clip.. Its a mere impossibility to remove that clip from inside the cabin, without removing the heatshield from the under carriage..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #72
Sebilad
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series m sport coupe

Yeah all from inside the cabin, I'm an experienced BMW technician so may have the upper hand! But no special tools, quick pull of the gear knob and gaiter, removed the big grommet, twisted the bush out with a pair of needle nosed pliers, slipped the selector into 1st which moved the lower section to the bottom right position which gave me access to the clip. Extendable magnet on the clip down one side, twist with a screwdriver then pulled it up with the magnet. Removed the shift lever and put back together in reverse order!
Slow and steady to align the clip and hey presto! Short shift linkage, alcantara gaiter and performance gear knob!
Highly recommended upgrade I love it!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #73
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yeah all from inside the cabin, I'm an experienced BMW technician so may have the upper hand! But no special tools, quick pull of the gear knob and gaiter, removed the big grommet, twisted the bush out with a pair of needle nosed pliers, slipped the selector into 1st which moved the lower section to the bottom right position which gave me access to the clip. Extendable magnet on the clip down one side, twist with a screwdriver then pulled it up with the magnet. Removed the shift lever and put back together in reverse order!
Slow and steady to align the clip and hey presto! Short shift linkage, alcantara gaiter and performance gear knob!
Fair enough mate..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #74
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Quote:

The BMW dealership in Singapore did the same, installing the SSK from the top..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #75
qdtjant
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW Alpina D5S 2018

The SSK is not able to order any longer. Tried to order in Sweden and through dealer in US. Same answer: not able to order it due to no longer in prodduction. What to order instead ?
/Janne
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #76
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdtjant View Post
The SSK is not able to order any longer. Tried to order in Sweden and through dealer in US. Same answer: not able to order it due to no longer in prodduction. What to order instead ?
/Janne
http://www.rogueengineering.com/bmw/OCTSL.html
http://hpashop.com/Rogue-Engineering...ssk-e82-1m.htm

I will probably go this route, I had the BMW SSk in my 135i; had MUCH shorter throws, however, I did not like the engagement. Felt too notchy in some gears.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 03:58 AM   #77
qdtjant
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW Alpina D5S 2018

Thank's for the answeres. I'll investigate those links.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #78
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 86' 944, 12' Gulf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdtjant View Post
/Janne
FYI, GetBMWParts reported that the BMW SSK parts (not sure about the actual kit) you would use for the 1M are in stock and ready to ship as of today.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #79
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth944 View Post
FYI, GetBMWParts reported that the BMW SSK parts (not sure about the actual kit) you would use for the 1M are in stock and ready to ship as of today.
Just a reminder though: they do not ship internationally; a re-shipping arrangement must be done for international buyers.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #80
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Has anyone else noted that in the 1m the SSK lever actually angles slightly more to the right than stock (at least for RHD cars), closer to the driver? Almost like it doesn't stand vertically, but leaning to the right. The increase in height of the shifter is not noticeable, but the change in position is. Surprising as I don't remember this happening in my old 135 n54. Different gearbox I guess. I actually prefer this ergonomically, but the notchiness takes some getting used to.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:34 AM   #81
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
Surprising as I don't remember this happening in my old 135 n54. Different gearbox I guess. I actually prefer this ergonomically, but the notchiness takes some getting used to.

The N54 use a different gear box. 1M's and N55's use the very same gearbox. That's why the (full)Performance SSK doesn't work on a 1M. But using just the Perf SSK lever DOES work on a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #82
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep

What do you guys think? Has the lever been installed back-to-front? The first pic is in neutral, the second pic in first gear.

Any chance someone with a 1M/SSK can post a similar pic to mine in neutral to compare?

If it has been installed wrong way around, it still works as the shift is so short. But just doesn't sit right to me (and doesn't feel right on 2-3 change). Shift though is awesome, and less notchy with each change.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:34 AM   #83
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is N in both pics. Hope it helps. IMO your's look out of alignment
Agreed. Looks like the lever in mine is the wrong way around. Cheers for the photos Ian. I'll have to get them to re-install. Gave them a new bearing as well!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #84
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep

I won't say. Only cost $80 BUT not angry. Just annoyed to have to get it pulled out again. If the bearing gets stuffed in the changeover, they better put in a new one.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #85
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
What do you guys think? Has the lever been installed back-to-front? The first pic is in neutral, the second pic in first gear.

Any chance someone with a 1M/SSK can post a similar pic to mine in neutral to compare?

If it has been installed wrong way around, it still works as the shift is so short. But just doesn't sit right to me (and doesn't feel right on 2-3 change). Shift though is awesome, and less notchy with each change.
Yea... looks like its 180' off.

I don't know IF this video with help you... but here are the shifter throws on my BMW Perf SSK on my 135i (N54)...

Dack
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #86
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I won't say. Only cost $80 BUT not angry. Just annoyed to have to get it pulled out again. If the bearing gets stuffed in the changeover, they better put in a new one.
Deffinately 180 deg out.

When Pete@Advan installed mine, he informed me that he has had to reverse an install, just like yours, that was a DIY job..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #87
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Deffinately 180 deg out.

When Pete@Advan installed mine, he informed me that he has had to reverse an install, just like yours, that was a DIY job..
If this was a DIY I'd feel a right git about now and probably wouldn't post about it either. But a qualified installer should know better. Didn't look right, just needed confirmation from you guys. Thanks all for the input.
Getting fixed next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #88
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 86' 944, 12' Gulf R

For some reason I received a 25110434219 performance shift lever which looks to be for the E90 130i instead of the 25110434217 performance shift lever for the 135i. Does anyone know if first part # will still work in the 1M; it looks to have very slight knee (bend) with a minor tilt back instead of the z bend between the ball and handle I saw in the posted pics?
Appreciate 0