BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Tirque View Post
Well , I got my girl back from the dealership today and asked my SA exactly what the issue was? Please keep in mind I am not up to speed when it comes to discussing newer technology cars.
I asked him if it was a Solenoid issue..answer: no.

I asked him if the bolts to the VANOS unit had sheared off and were lost somewhere in the engine. answer: no

He said that the vanos unit simply failed:

Here is the Code I got:
D1130 B0000000 02 001

The printout I received on picking up the car stated:
VEHICLE ENGINE MALFUNCTION LIGHT. CAR STALLED.
INTERROGATE FAULT MEMORY FAULTS STORED FOR EXHAUST CAM VANOS.
CHECKED TIMING. TIMING IS OFF FOR EXHAUST CAM DUE TO FAULTY VANOS/INTERNAL FAILURE.

ALSO FOUND SIB 12 14 12 RELATED TO FAULTS TO REPLACE BOTH INTAKE AND EXHAUST VANOS ADJUSTERS. REPLACED BOTH WITH HARDWARE.

There were parts charged out for gasket rings and collar screws : paid by warranty.

I voiced my concerns about such a catastrophic failure on a car under 25K.
SA said he rarely sees this happen on newer cars

I asked him what the damage would be if I wasn't under warranty, he told me about $4000. !!!!

Not feeling so good about that...definitely extending my warranty and putting off any mods I had planned.

Ok...take care all. Hope this info is useful to a few of you at least.

I have a 2011 e90 N55 335i Xdrive.

Will a failing vanos always throw a malfunctioning vanos code? I am getting Random missfiring p0300.

I just bought the car 2 weeks ago and oil was 1k past it's change due. I changed the oil and then a few weeks later wanted to clean the intake ports and valves from the gunk buildup.

I had misfires and so I put in new plugs and new coils. Still random misfires.

I am getting random misfires and if I do NOT enter boost it drives OK but still coughs a bit on idle.

When I enter boost it sputters like the timing is off. I can't enter boost!

I am a ford mechanic, and I know very well what a engine with improper timing does and it feels like that.

I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and cleaner everything as well. The dealer did a smoke test and said no leak. They blame the injectors.

I mean in reality now that I have replaced the plugs and coils, if there is no leak
What else could it be?

I have a thread about this in e90post. I am not getting a code for vanos that I know of.

I was kind of thinking there was a possibility that since the injector sits flush against the ceiling of the combustion chamber that I may have blown carbon from the valves and it got stuck on the injector.

So I plan to pull them and check as well as clean when I get the car back from the dealer. They are such idiots.

Any thoughts guys?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFury View Post

Will a failing vanos always throw a malfunctioning vanos code? I am getting Random missfiring p0300.

I just bought the car 2 weeks ago and oil was 1k past it's change due. I changed the oil and then a few weeks later wanted to clean the intake ports and valves from the gunk buildup.

I am getting random misfires and if I do NOT enter boost it drives OK but still coughs a bit on idle.

I am a ford mechanic, and I know very well what a engine with improper timing does and it feels like that.

I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and cleaner everything as well. The dealer did a smoke test and said no leak. They blame the injectors.

I mean in reality now that I have replaced the plugs and coils, if there is no leak
What else could it be?

I have a thread about this in e90post. I am not getting a code for vanos that I know of.

I was kind of thinking there was a possibility that since the injector sits flush against the ceiling of the combustion chamber that I may have blown carbon from the valves and it got stuck on the injector.

So I plan to pull them and check as well as clean when I get the car back from the dealer. They are such idiots.

Any thoughts guys?

I have a few.

Q). Did you use BMW spark plugs? A lot of guys use Bosch OEM plugs, which sometimes can cause a misfire issue(s). Only use spark plugs from BMW. They say: "BMW-Bosch" on them. There is something different about the ceramic insulator on the OEM plugs.

There is a TSB on the injectors for BMW to check to make sure they have been updated to the new-er type. Maybe have your dealer check for any open recalls on your car. I assume you have had the battery recall and HPFP recall done to. ?

Also make sure you don't have a boost leak 30PF code. It is very common for the charge pipe to crack or leak.

Does you car have any mods?

Make sure when you replaced your spark plugs that the coil pack connector did not engage the engine compartment wiring harness cable correctly. Its easy for the cable not to full engage the connector and also cause a misfire. Have you see the Cobb video on changing spark plugs? I posted it on my changing spark plugs on my N54 DIY on 1Addicts.

Did you walnut blast your intake valves? I wasn't sure if you did that or if you just ran some injector cleaner thru the system. ?

IF you do change out your fuel injectors... they will need to be coded to your car to properly work under load.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFury View Post

What else could it be?

Any thoughts guys?

I have a few.

Q). Did you use BMW spark plugs? A lot of guys use Bosch OEM plugs, which sometimes can cause a misfire issue(s). Only use spark plugs from BMW. They say: "BMW-Bosch" on them. There is something different about the ceramic insulator on the OEM plugs.

There is a TSB on the injectors for BMW to check to make sure they have been updated to the new-er type. Maybe have your dealer check for any open recalls on your car. I assume you have had the battery recall and HPFP recall done to. ?

Also make sure you don't have a boost leak 30PF code. It is very common for the charge pipe to crack or leak.

Does you car have any mods?

Make sure when you replaced your spark plugs that the coil pack connector did not engage the engine compartment wiring harness cable correctly. Its easy for the cable not to full engage the connector and also cause a misfire. Have you see the Cobb video on changing spark plugs? I posted it on my changing spark plugs on my N54 DIY on 1Addicts.

Did you walnut blast your intake valves? I wasn't sure if you did that or if you just ran some injector cleaner thru the system. ?

IF you do change out your fuel injectors... they will need to be coded to your car to properly work under load.

Good Luck,
Dackel
I have a n55 and the dealer said no recall on my HPFP or injectors but the battery recall was done.

I ran injector cleaner through my valves closed and soaked seafoam. I vacuumed all of it out other than maybe a tiny drop here or there. They are pretty clean now almost new looking.

I am not sure if there is a boost leak code but dealer says misfire and combustion related code. I got p0300, p0301, and p0302 randomly. It's weird.

I heard the injectors can be learned by the computer over the period of a few key cycles and driving some distance is this true?

The pipe that connects to the airbox and goes to the turbo is very very easy to slide up a bit, the torx bolt holds it down but it still slides up a bit on one side as the oil makes the rubber gasket connector slippery.

I was thinking about doing the propane test to find the leaks.

JB4 Stage 2 | Injen CAI | BMW PE | AR Catless DP | Alpina TCU Flash | Eibach Pro Kit | Custom TCKline Koni's | 19" M359 Wheels | DWS Tires
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #26
mawtu
Old Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 135i

I also had the same issue. Last week I got in my car and had the Engine running at reduced power error. I drove straight to the dealership. I picked up my car last night. My build date is 4/10 with 31K mileage. Here was the ticket info below.

Vanos Adjustment Units Faulty
ISTA/D Batter Voltage:12.00 Connected Battery Charger
Vehicle Test FCS:002D55 Stored Test Plan Leads to Checking
Timing, and removing both Vanos Adjustment Units and Checking
Bolts for tightness. Found 2 Bolts Broken. Per SIB 12 14 12
Drained Oil and removed Oil condition sensor used borescope
to locate and remove bolt from oil pan. Second bolt head not
Identifiable in pan located bolt head under intake camshaft
removed intake camshaft to retrieve bolt head. Replaced both
Vanos adjustment units. filled new oil and test drove to verify.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #27
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG D33Z View Post
This effects the N52 as well, my X3 had the problem. I didn't replace mine, just cleaned them. Car runs 100x better for over a year now.
What did you clean, an aluminum bolt?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #28
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
What did you clean, an aluminum bolt?
He "probably" cleaned the vanos sensor(with brake kleen or carb cleaner)... while that might work.... I think its smarter to just replace the two sensors(one intake and one exhaust).

go to 07:10 in this video...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
scroitoru
Rep
Drives: 335ix coupe

there is a recall for these now!! Yay.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:14 AM   #30
JimUlrich135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135is

Yes, affected n55 owners should get a letter from BMW informing you about the recall and when to schedule an appointment. This month the recall should be out, at least in Illinois I believe. Vanos units and solenoids are a big difference, don't get those 2 mixed up.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #31
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Had similar symptoms and low and behold, vanos related. Parts ordered.
      09-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #32
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

there is a recall currently on the vanos for n55
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #33
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

What a nightmare. Who's to say the recalled part won't end up failing again?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #34
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Does anyone know if the oil is changed when the bolts are replaced? I did mine under warranty, and the invoice doesn't state so. I assume they backed out the old ones and put new ones in, but I've not watched the video above. Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #35
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Does anyone know if the oil is changed when the bolts are replaced? I did mine under warranty, and the invoice doesn't state so. I assume they backed out the old ones and put new ones in, but I've not watched the video above. Just curious.
No. I would have paid your dealer to change you oil(and look for broken bolt heads). I think you should change your oil ASAP. No its not part of the recall.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #36
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Timing is probably good for you to install a good quality magnetic oil drain bolt too. I wipe off a light dusting at every oil change.

Same scenario for my manual transmission...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

JHZR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Timing is probably good for you to install a good quality magnetic oil drain bolt too. I wipe off a light dusting at every oil change.

Dimple oil drain plugs are the best! I really like them. Very strong magnet and well made in the USA.

http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #38
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
No. I would have paid your dealer to change you oil(and look for broken bolt heads). I think you should change your oil ASAP. No its not part of the recall.
I did change my oil as soon as I got it home... The invoice said no broken bolts, and I found the official recall document that BMW sends to the dealers - oil is only authorized for IIRC criteria C when a broken bolt is observed and a pan drop is required.

I had already planned to change the oil, and it was dark so I know they didn't..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #39
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post

I had installed one when I first got the car...

I've found that Gold Plug are the best. This one I have is painted steel, and is showing some corrosion though the car has never seen salt...

It did pick up some junk...

Last edited by JHZR2; 04-17-2016 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 1