BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #67
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

Oy.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #68
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i, X5 45e

Just thought I would chime in on this thread. I have had my car in twice now. The first time they disassembled and reassembled the front brake assembly and the problem went away for about a week. The regional technician even tried to figure out what was wrong to no avail. The second time they greased the wheel hub assemblies and the problem went away for a week and a half. I just called the dealer letting them know that the problem is back, and I'll probably be taking it in again soon.
      08-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #69
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

possible to just take this brake dust cover off? sounds like it gets warped easily due to radiated heat convection and rubs on things that are closeby. maybe an idea to see if everyones issues go away by removing or modifying the dust cover? just my 2 pennys..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #70
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep

so I just got my car back after its third trip to the dealer and this time they replaced the brake pads. apparently the vibration damping plate had separated from the pads and was causing the noise. The noise is again gone, hopefully this time for good
      08-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #71
tnorton776
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2009 sports package

Hi everyone,
" ( Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, Brake Drying, and Brake Stand-by features, with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) "

Perhaps the problem has something to do with the new DSC/DTC features on the car, or prehaps it really isnt a problem at all and is just a feature of the new car. I notice when I turn my DSC off the clicking seems to go away.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #72
Bdh821
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnorton776 View Post
Hi everyone,
" ( Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, Brake Drying, and Brake Stand-by features, with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) "

Perhaps the problem has something to do with the new DSC/DTC features on the car, or prehaps it really isnt a problem at all and is just a feature of the new car. I notice when I turn my DSC off the clicking seems to go away.
I noticed it most when doing autox. There are a few 1ers that do autox in my area and their car does the same thing. And we obviously turn off the DTC/DSC when racing
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #73
justDrive135
135 Owner
Rep
Drives: 135i

OK, no offense intended but... I'm trying my best to get to the bottom of this "clicking sound" I hear and I'm tired of people posting with wild speculations and stories of past vehicles. This is not a new topic as I've spent the last 2-3 hours reading hundreds of post in many different threads on this forum and several other BMW forums. So many people post that they are taking their car in for service and that they will report back, but then they never post again. (Thanks to those who have reported back - Basically my only source of credible information)...

My Experience:
135i, ~11K, stock, always drive with windows down, never heard anything of this sort before a few weeks ago, first noticed it mostly when quickly accelerating through a 90 degree turn from stop, sound getting louder over a couple of weeks, decided today to do some testing in new neighborhood with wide roads and traffic circles, found that the noise is primary dependent on how hard i corner, on a wide road at 20-30 mph i can jerk the wheel left/right just for an instant and hear the noise for the short duration, or i can hear the noise almost continuously while taking the traffic circle at a speed that is fast enough to alter the attitude of the vehicle, slow turns imparting no lateral forces result in no noise.

Now, what I've found so far for potential causes (from various forums). Listed in order of likelihood (IMO),

1. Brake dust shield - either mounting bolts not tight enough or some sort of "micro cracks" as others have mentioned. Perhaps the thin metal is overstressed and fatigue cracks have started to form around the bolt holes causing the perceived loosening of the bolts, in which case the bolts may need to be tightens again as the cracks continue to propagate.

2. Something to do with the nature of the brake rotors being two-pieces riveted together. Others have posted about this..

3. Something to do with the differential. Others have posted about this also suggesting that it is a known problem (at least for M3s) fixed with a special additive in the differential fluid. Not sure is this is for 1-seris too.

4. Over torqued lugs? Somebody said this was their problem, but I'd hate to believe that my 135 came from the factory with various fasteners over/under torqued. And i only started hearing the sound a few weeks ago.

So I'm about 75% sure that my sound is related to the brake dust covers. If you've managed to read my entire post and have personal experience getting this sounds fixed, please post what the solution was for you. If you are ignoring the noise or are not 100% sure that you have the same thing, I'm not interested in your wild speculation. Flame me for coming across as an A-Hole if you must, but I've been rather surprized by how many threads/posts there are about this topic and still the lack of a commonly know solution in the community. I'm done, help me (if you have any credible info..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #74
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just to report back, replacing the brake pads (which were indeed separated from the vibration damping backings-no idea why that happened) did not fix the problem for good. Again, it caused the noise to go away temporarily (about 1,000 miles). I recently relocated so I am interested to see if a different dealership can actually fix the problem; I will mention the brake dust covers to them like I did the last dealership and hopefully they will find something that that the other missed.
      09-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #75
rodi
. . .
Rep

I'm telling you it's the brake dust shield/cover. read my earlier posts in this and another thread.
the third time I brought it in, they actually ordered all new parts for shields including mounting hardware. noise is gone. 8,000 miles have passed.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 07:10 AM   #76
gyrfalcon
Ninja
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justDrive135 View Post
OK, no offense intended but... I'm trying my best to get to the bottom of this "clicking sound" I hear and I'm tired of people posting with wild speculations and stories of past vehicles. This is not a new topic as I've spent the last 2-3 hours reading hundreds of post in many different threads on this forum and several other BMW forums. So many people post that they are taking their car in for service and that they will report back, but then they never post again. (Thanks to those who have reported back - Basically my only source of credible information)...

My Experience:
135i, ~11K, stock, always drive with windows down, never heard anything of this sort before a few weeks ago, first noticed it mostly when quickly accelerating through a 90 degree turn from stop, sound getting louder over a couple of weeks, decided today to do some testing in new neighborhood with wide roads and traffic circles, found that the noise is primary dependent on how hard i corner, on a wide road at 20-30 mph i can jerk the wheel left/right just for an instant and hear the noise for the short duration, or i can hear the noise almost continuously while taking the traffic circle at a speed that is fast enough to alter the attitude of the vehicle, slow turns imparting no lateral forces result in no noise.

Now, what I've found so far for potential causes (from various forums). Listed in order of likelihood (IMO),

1. Brake dust shield - either mounting bolts not tight enough or some sort of "micro cracks" as others have mentioned. Perhaps the thin metal is overstressed and fatigue cracks have started to form around the bolt holes causing the perceived loosening of the bolts, in which case the bolts may need to be tightens again as the cracks continue to propagate.

2. Something to do with the nature of the brake rotors being two-pieces riveted together. Others have posted about this..

3. Something to do with the differential. Others have posted about this also suggesting that it is a known problem (at least for M3s) fixed with a special additive in the differential fluid. Not sure is this is for 1-seris too.

4. Over torqued lugs? Somebody said this was their problem, but I'd hate to believe that my 135 came from the factory with various fasteners over/under torqued. And i only started hearing the sound a few weeks ago.

So I'm about 75% sure that my sound is related to the brake dust covers. If you've managed to read my entire post and have personal experience getting this sounds fixed, please post what the solution was for you. If you are ignoring the noise or are not 100% sure that you have the same thing, I'm not interested in your wild speculation. Flame me for coming across as an A-Hole if you must, but I've been rather surprized by how many threads/posts there are about this topic and still the lack of a commonly know solution in the community. I'm done, help me (if you have any credible info..
Also, add small rocks stuck between the rotor and caliper to your list. That was causing my sound when turning. Best guess is just take everything off the wheel, inspect it all, and make sure it's reinstalled properly to rule out a couple of issues.
      09-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #77
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

lets see if i can add some weirdness to this thread. I have the clicking noise too. took it to the dealer and they told me it was normal. that its the steering rack making the noise. I will be calling them back to complain casue the car didnt' make the noise for the first 10K miles it shouldn't be making this noise now.
      09-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #78
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm telling you it's the brake dust shield/cover. read my earlier posts in this and another thread.
the third time I brought it in, they actually ordered all new parts for shields including mounting hardware. noise is gone. 8,000 miles have passed.

From what you've experienced it certainly seems very likely that is the case. My previous dealer, however, said that it was not. I'm hoping they were wrong, and a different dealership can successfully address the issue.
      09-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #79
rodi
. . .
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovesax08 View Post
From what you've experienced it certainly seems very likely that is the case. My previous dealer, however, said that it was not. I'm hoping they were wrong, and a different dealership can successfully address the issue.
i hope so, too.
i'll see if i can find the service invoice so you can print it out and bring it with you.

they didn't know what it was the first time i went in either, or they did but their fix at the time wasn't long-term successful. i'll post a scan of the invoice here.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #80
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
i hope so, too.
i'll see if i can find the service invoice so you can print it out and bring it with you.

they didn't know what it was the first time i went in either, or they did but their fix at the time wasn't long-term successful. i'll post a scan of the invoice here.
Thanks so much!
      09-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #81
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

I dont really have a clicking from what i remember (been 4 months since i drove my 135) but i do know i have/had a scraping sound at a certain point of the aft left wheel. I wonder if this is the dust shield as well. I gotta inspect it when i get home. Also curious to see what happens if i disable my DSC. I heard that the DTC / DSC will bring the brake pads closer together and ready for a quick braking at certain points while driving.
Am actually pretty curious to try that.!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #82
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

ok, clicking noise update. I took my car back to the dealer and told them this needed to be fixed. They had my car for 2 weeks but finally fixed it by replacing the steering column and steering rack.
But they scratched the steering wheel so not i need to get that replaced. always something
      10-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #83
AeroWillis
Sleeper
United_States
Rep

I feel that I owe the board a follow-up. I changed my name; I used to be "justDrive135", but didn't like that. Anyway, I'm the guy that made post #74 above and have the following to report:

The clicking sound persisted noticeably for several weeks after i made my post. With all that I had read on here I decided not to take it to the dealership mostly because I didn't want to demod, but also b/c I figured chances of them actually fixing it were 50/50 at best. After several weeks I really didn't notice it so much, but you know I was trying to ignore it and really not think about it so... Anyway, I took the car in for the 15K service and as I was rolling into the service bay I remembered about the clicking. I told the SA about it and he was clueless, but suggested I go for a ride with a tech. We went, and as I put the care through the same sort of motions as described in my previous post I was able to hear the noise, but only very faintly. It was maybe 10% as loud as when I posted above and the tech said he didn't hear anything. I said fine and asked that they at least retourqe the fasteners on the brake dust shield. He said no problem. When I got my car back they said that the fasteners were already tight to the spec and the noise was still around the 10% level which really isn't noticeable unless your hanging out the window listening for it. If it's not obvious by now, I really don't care about this noise anymore (it's not that load anymore and the car still drives great). I'll let others speculate on exactly whats going on, but felt compelled to share my experience. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #84
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

my clicking went away after taking off the wheel, caliper, and rotor then checking the dustshield (which was torqued just fine).

About 2 weeks after, the clicking came back, so I don't know
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #85
Jcrewsn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroWillis View Post
I feel that I owe the board a follow-up. I changed my name; I used to be "justDrive135", but didn't like that. Anyway, I'm the guy that made post #74 above and have the following to report:

The clicking sound persisted noticeably for several weeks after i made my post. With all that I had read on here I decided not to take it to the dealership mostly because I didn't want to demod, but also b/c I figured chances of them actually fixing it were 50/50 at best. After several weeks I really didn't notice it so much, but you know I was trying to ignore it and really not think about it so... Anyway, I took the car in for the 15K service and as I was rolling into the service bay I remembered about the clicking. I told the SA about it and he was clueless, but suggested I go for a ride with a tech. We went, and as I put the care through the same sort of motions as described in my previous post I was able to hear the noise, but only very faintly. It was maybe 10% as loud as when I posted above and the tech said he didn't hear anything. I said fine and asked that they at least retourqe the fasteners on the brake dust shield. He said no problem. When I got my car back they said that the fasteners were already tight to the spec and the noise was still around the 10% level which really isn't noticeable unless your hanging out the window listening for it. If it's not obvious by now, I really don't care about this noise anymore (it's not that load anymore and the car still drives great). I'll let others speculate on exactly whats going on, but felt compelled to share my experience. Good luck.
I just took my car in for various problems, this being one of them, and they told me that they have had other 1's with the same issue who have taken tech's on a drive and found that they are unable to replicate the noise.....so it is obviously a problem concerning weight distrubition. When two ppl are n the car the springs are compressed more evenly as opposed to a single driver....

I'll tell them bout the brake dust shields and share my experience
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #86
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrewsn View Post
I just took my car in for various problems, this being one of them, and they told me that they have had other 1's with the same issue who have taken tech's on a drive and found that they are unable to replicate the noise.....so it is obviously a problem concerning weight distrubition. When two ppl are n the car the springs are compressed more evenly as opposed to a single driver....

I'll tell them bout the brake dust shields and share my experience
I'll agree with you that it is related to the force being put on the corners, as it seems to be related to the g's around a corner. If I'm going faster then the turns don't have to be as sharp. However, it definitely occurs when there are two people in the car. I just took my car in (for the fourth time for this issue, as well as others that I am having-but this time to a different dealership) and the shop foreman went for a ride with me and the noise was definitly still there.
      11-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #87
Jcrewsn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i Sport  [0.00]
^ true that I'm on the same boat with you there buddy ..... I was only suggesting that, possibly in some cases, the extra weight will fluctuate the perceived outcome. They told me that their tech was 250 lbs. and the driver was about 150 haha
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #88
rodi
. . .
Rep

update: my noise is back after a mountain run on hard, fast corners a couple months ago (when it started again). i only notice it now taking hard corners fast, but it's not as loud as before.

Appreciate 0