09-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #89
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I beg to differ.

I paid around $1500 for a set of VMR rims and Conti Extreme DWS tires which did amazing duty last winter - which was incredibly harsh by DC area standards. If I was living in a more northern location, I'd go with a set off "real" snow tires.

The M3 on snows is one of the most entertaining things in the world.

+1

People who can't drive a RWD in winter just need to learn how to drive... I find my car too much fun in winter
      09-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #90
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It's that 0.5% that gets you every time.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...erYourBMW.aspx

Looks like every M car is available for ED. I know that when cars are freshly available, there tends to be a lag until you can ED one, but I don't recall it being any different for M's and non M's.
Dude, I didn't say you couldn't do European Delivery for an M car, obviously you can as plenty of people have.

Can you READ:

Taking delivery of your new BMW in Europe will definitely make you smile. So will the savings. You may save up to 7 percent of the retail price - up to $5,935.

maybe i'm wrong, but this is what Ive been told
      09-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #91
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
Dude, I didn't say you couldn't do European Delivery for an M car, obviously you can as plenty of people have.

Can you READ:

Taking delivery of your new BMW in Europe will definitely make you smile. So will the savings. You may save up to 7 percent of the retail price - up to $5,935.

maybe i'm wrong, but this is what Ive been told
Did someone pee in your Cheerios? Settle down. Didn't you see the ?

Since $5,925 is 7% of $84,786, I don't think we're talking about M3's for that sort of discount. The listed discount for M3's is actually right at 7% for all three body styles. You were saying?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #92
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
Maybe he should count ability to drive in snow with s4 and public transportation money when M3 is in the garage when its snow-storming outside?

LOL

Neither of them have any chance in the snow on performance tires and either would go ok in Light snow with snow tires. Anything more than that its stupid to take a $60k sports coupe/sedan out anyway; even if YOU do ok, good luck avoiding all the idiot soccer moms in suvs. Who think they're impervious to weather.

But mostly, who the hell evaluates drivers cars based upon outlier conditions rather than the nearly every day weather? Best to get a Rubicon in case of earthquake or meteor destroying the highway!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #93
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
LOL

Neither of them have any chance in the snow on performance tires and either would go ok in Light snow with snow tires. Anything more than that its stupid to take a $60k sports coupe/sedan out anyway; even if YOU do ok, good luck avoiding all the idiot soccer moms in suvs. Who think they're impervious to weather.
So for comparison here.
My 135i in about 1/2 an inch of snow with stock performance RF's was... un-usable.
Solution: Blizzaks.
After the 135i had the blizzacks I was driving in a foot of snow easily. I can post pictures of the snow. The drifts on the sides of the road were taller than the 1er!

Tires make all the difference in snow and no performance tire that I have seen will work (even on AWD) well in any decent amount of snow.

Blizzak needs to hire me, because I'm a walking advertisement for them.

Quote:
But mostly, who the hell evaluates drivers cars based upon outlier conditions rather than the nearly every day weather? Best to get a Rubicon in case of earthquake or meteor destroying the highway!
Those of us who live with 3-4 months of no less than a foot of snow, and don't want to waste money on a 3rd car.

And I'd get a ford raptor not a rubicon!

Wait maybe I need to waste money on a 3rd car!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #94
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The TT-RS has a base price of 56K euros! By the time you add things like DSG, 19 or 20 inch wheels and metalic paint you in the mid sixties. I am pretty sure I saw one at a city car show last year with a 85K euro sticker. I was quite shocked about that.

http://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuwa..._rs_coupe.html

click on Konfigartur at the center bottom of the page to build a TT.

Even if you don't go crazy with the options... a eurpo TT-RS sells for a good 12K euros more than a 135i does in Germany. That is quite a difference. I guess the question is... when both cars come to the US (TT-RS and 1M) would you pay more for the Audi? I would not.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #95
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
So for comparison here.
My 135i in about 1/2 an inch of snow with stock performance RF's was... un-usable.
Solution: Blizzaks.
After the 135i had the blizzacks I was driving in a foot of snow easily. I can post pictures of the snow. The drifts on the sides of the road were taller than the 1er!

Tires make all the difference in snow and no performance tire that I have seen will work (even on AWD) well in any decent amount of snow.
We completely agree.

Quote:
Those of us who live with 3-4 months of no less than a foot of snow, and don't want to waste money on a 3rd car.
I'm not sure that's what Iowa is like, at least not ON a road, and that's for SURE not what DC is like (poster to whom I replied).

Quote:
And I'd get a ford raptor not a rubicon!
You'd be FAR better off with Rubi in snow. Raptor is designed precisely WRONG for snow - might as well put summer performance RFs on it. Big, fat, wide, won't-sink-in-sand tires. Plus, an empty bed over the rear set . . .

Quote:
Wait maybe I need to waste money on a 3rd car!
Yea, I already figured out I need to keep my beater even post 1M purchase.

Take the kid to invitational? All those other kids throwing doors open, and soccer moms running late? Yea, good recipe for dings, if lucky enough to avoid sideswipes!

Go watch a live band or to a pub? Especially if on street parking? Yuk. Perhaps I'm too anal . . .
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #96
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpippolo View Post
TT-S weights over 3200 lbs and has 60% of the weight over the front wheels of its Golf platform. I doubt the weight or weight distribution of the RS is much better than the S, so think I'll go with RWD and near 50/50 weight distribution of the 1M.
So true. Who would actually consider buying an expensive sports car with the engine hanging in front of the front axle. A 1M w/DCT or experienced driver with 6MT would kill the RS on the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #97
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

TTRS to get 7 sped DSG. Wonder if this will push BMW to add DCT to the 1M?

Ingolstadt, 2010-10-04

The seven-speed S tronic in the Audi TT RS

•Audi TT RS Coupé and TT RS Roadster now also available with S tronic
•Seven-speed dual-clutch transmission enables quick gear changes without noticeably interrupting power flow
•High efficiency cuts fuel consumption
The Audi TT RS, the top-of-the-range TT model, can now also be ordered with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. This enables the purist driving machine, which was developed by quattro GmbH, to make quite an impression with lightning-fast gear changes and a level of efficiency that is pioneering in its class. The TT RS Coupé consumes an average of 8.5 liters (27.67 US mpg) of fuel per 100 km and emits just 197 g/km (317.04 g/mile) of CO2.

Alongside the version with six-speed manual transmission, Audi is now making the TT RS available with an S tronic seven-speed dual-clutch transmission which perfectly unites dynamism, comfort and efficiency. Shifts are completed within just a few hundredths of a second by changing between the two clutches, and are smooth and very comfortable, with no perceptible interruption in the power flow.

Designed for high efficiency at every speed: The seventh gear is configured as a high-geared overdrive which reduces engine speed, thus cutting fuel consumption. The driver can choose between two fully automatic modes and the manual mode in which he changes gear using the shift paddles on the steering wheel or with the selector lever. In addition, a launch control function offers virtually perfect acceleration from a standing start, with maximum turbo power and minimum wheel spin. This enables the TT RS with S tronic to accelerate even faster than with a manual transmission. The Coupé sprints from zero to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in just 4.3 seconds. Top speed is governed electronically at 250 km/h (155.34 mph). This speed restriction can be removed as an option.

The unique 2.5-liter five-cylinder TFSI engine in the Audi TT RS received the “International Engine of the Year Award” in June 2010. Fitted with the Audi core technologies of turbocharging and FSI direct injection, this power pack delivers 250 kW (340 hp) between 5,400 and 6,500 rpm and reaches a maximum torque of 450 Nm (331.90 lb-ft) between 1,600 and 5,300 rpm. In conjunction with quattro permanent all-wheel drive and a high-performance chassis, the five-cylinder engine produces an outstanding road performance.

Deliveries of the TT RS with S tronic start in October. The Coupé costs 58,300 and the Roadster €61,150.

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11010062...#ixzz11dSfYRLK
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #98
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
TTRS to get 7 sped DSG. Wonder if this will push BMW to add DCT to the 1M?
Isn't that car significantly (maybe $10k) more expensive than a 1M? It's an M3 competitor by price and performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #99
sid33
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I test drove the TT-S , I love the interior they do a fantastic job over at Audi with them. The car was underpowered for what I wanted though. The styling was great. The TT-RS is a real nice car and Id like to drive one. One big problem I have is that at least with TT-S models they dont offer a manual over here in the states. Be nice if they offer it with the TT-RS... DCT is all the craze now but im a purist I guess
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #100
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
I am a purist like you, but I believe the TT-RS will indeed be in manual when it arrives.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #101
sid33
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Isn't that car significantly (maybe $10k) more expensive than a 1M? It's an M3 competitor by price and performance.

Yea a well equiped TT-S was in the low-mid $50k .. Its too pricey really for what else is offered in the price range.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #102
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Latest update: seems target base price for TT-RS is $59K, with possibly upgraded HP figures (360 vs the 340 sold in European markets currently). Notice the 'limited run of 600', sound familiar?

-Estimated price around 60k (59k is target)
-Engine stats to be determined (360hp target, vs 340hp)
-MagRide Standard
-19" TT RS Wheels in Silver or Titanium Grey Only (No 20" offered)
-Standard Sport Seats (embossed dots) in solid black or silver (Same as TTS only perforated)
-Contrast Stitching throughout the interior
-Technology Package offered (NAV, Bose, Rain Sensors, Rear Sensors, etc?)
-Aluminum Exterior Package Optional
-Sports Exhaust Optional
-Carbon Fiber Mirrors Optional
-Spoiler Delete Optional (no cost)
-Exclusive TTRS Panther Black Color offered
-Dakota Grey New Audi Grey Offered
-Other Standard colors will be offered (Red, Black, White... No mention of Sepang - forgot to ask)
-Suzuka will not be offered (it will be available for the R8GT exclusively for the US only)
-No Solar Orange either
-Limited run of around 600 (depending on demand)

Some pics from the Chicago Auto show here:

http://navanod.fotki.com/tt-rs/chicago-auto-show/#media
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #103
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

That's going to be a sweet car... even with the Haldex. Love the sound of that 5 cylinder!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #104
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
That's going to be a sweet car... even with the Haldex. Love the sound of that 5 cylinder!
Indeed, sound is very unique, and notice a sport exhaust is an option (very P-car like). And that engine can be highly tunable, look at the Quattro Concept, and in fact, tuners like MTM have extracted some huge gains out of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #105
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

The TT-RS is a great car, but it's just too expensive in my eyes. Audi is pushing so hard to position themselves in the premium segment with high prices, that its partially getting ridiculous for some models. The TT-RS is one of them.

Put some extras in the TT-RS and you could get a Cayman S. Perhaps its exactly the customers that don't want to own a Porsche who will go for a TT-RS, but an Audi is not a Porsche. Even if it's a second faster on the track or whatever, it is just not.

I still like Audi cars very much, but I just don't agree with their price politics. It's too much VW-technic inside, which is absolutely okay, but not for that extra charge you have to pay. But people buy it and I'm happy for them, but I won't.

Last edited by skyphab; 02-14-2011 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #106
crumb
Private
Rep
Drives: honda

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #107
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
The TT-RS is a great car, but it's just too expensive in my eyes. Audi is pushing so hard to position themselves in the premium segment with high prices, that its partially getting ridiculous for some models. The TT-RS is one of them.

Put some extras in the TT-RS and you could get a Cayman S. Perhaps its exactly the customers that don't want to own a Porsche who will go for a TT-RS, but an Audi is not a Porsche. Even if it's a second faster on the track or whatever, it is just not.

I still like Audi cars very much, but I just don't agree with their price politics. It's too much VW-technic inside, which is absolutely okay, but not for that extra charge you have to pay. But people buy it and I'm happy for them, but I won't.
I agree, RS cars are generally very expensive (in Europe they are priced above ///Ms and AMGs generally in their respective classes, however there they sell well, AWD being a big factor in that).

As far as the Cayman, I think the Cayman R is really the car one should compare to the TT-RS (flagship model for each). About the same HP (although the US version of the TT-RS seems to be getting a bump) and of course more TQ for the TT given it is FI. But if you go to the Cayman R microsite (which is great btw), you will quickly see that in a typical Porsche fashion, a bunch of things are options (e.g. even Xenon lights!). So by the time you equip a comparable Cayman R, you are near $100K teritory, such that the TT-RS seems like a bargain! LOL And some people really need/insist on AWD, which kills the Cayman as a viable option.

I am sure with a limited run of 600, they will sell out, despite a hefty price tag.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #108
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
None of that^^ matters if you can't get it in a 6-speed. Clutch work ftw...
+1 Plus, it seems the US TT-RS will only be offered in a manual, no DSG.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #109
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
But if you go to the Cayman R microsite (which is great btw), you will quickly see that in a typical Porsche fashion, a bunch of things are options (e.g. even Xenon lights!). So by the time you equip a comparable Cayman R, you are near $100K teritory
You are exaggerating. You can have a very nicely equipped Cayman R for under $70k (all the stuff you need and nothing you don't).
      02-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #110
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
You are exaggerating. You can have a very nicely equipped Cayman R for under $70k (all the stuff you need and nothing you don't).
I guess 'needs' are subjective. One can simply buy a stripper, that may be all he/she needs if looking for a track car. So $67,250 is all that person needs.

But do you think there are many buyers thinking that is what they want? Or even better, dealers who will order a Cayman R up to their specs thinking what is most sellable, which frankly will have the most creature comforts, (which is exactly what this car should not be about). Take a look at the Cayman Spyder in dealer's inventory, all have the A/C and Radio included (no cost option), and most have even heated seats.

I personally would consider these options essentials:

Metallic Exterior Color: $710
Xenon lights (it's 2011 after all, and why this car comes with stock halogens is beyond me): $1,560
Sport Chrono Package: $960
Sport Shifter: $765 (granted you can go aftermarket for slightly less cost, but why bother with warranty issues, and the Porsche SS is exceptional)
Sport Exhaust: $2810 (ditto as per above)

Cost of car (in this very slim option build): $74,055

Most (non-track) people, and dealers who buy one for inventory will opt for:
Heated seats: $525
A/C and radio add back on (no cost, but negating a good deal of weight savings)
Automatic A/C: $1,760
NAV: $3,110
BOSE (Buy Other Stereo Equipment): $1,690
Satelite radio crap: $750

That's another $7,835 to above, or a shade $82,000.

Through in ceramic brakes ($8,150) and PDK ($3,660) for good measure, and you are at $94K. (which I wouldn't, but many people may 'need' these options).

But bottom line is, the above $82K figure is what the TT-RS will come in at for about $18-20K less. Not saying it is the better buy, but price differential is quite wide.
Appreciate 0