BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
owaid
Registered
Rep
Drives: 118d

fuel consumption

hi
i have new bmw 118d sport.bmw figures state that i should get around 50 miles per gallon locally and on motorway around 70 miles per gallon.
but i only get about 30-32 miles locally and between 45-50 on motorway.
i will be intrested to know what other owners of the same vehicle get.
spoke to bmw they said that this is the norm. why state higher figures on their website?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Beanie_0
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series M Sport

Iv got a 120d and it does 45 MPG combined, I drive on the motorway and city about the same amount so I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
m4ttc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82

I get 40 mpg round town and mid 50s on the motorway. Same car as you
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
chadvandonkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d M Sport

Hi,

You must have a heavy right foot!!!

My 120d with BMW Performance Power Pack fitted does around 52mpg combined and 60mpg on the motorway - all driving steady.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Beanie_0
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series M Sport

Performance power pack? Is that an optional extra or does that come standard with the m sport 120d???
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
chadvandonkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d M Sport

Its a £1600 factory option that lifts power and torque from the standard 177bhp / 350nm to 197bhp / 390nm. It includes a larger intercooler, a larger cooling fan on the radiator and a remap.

Not bad when you consider it makes the same bhp and twice the torque of my previous car - a Honda Civic Type R, while returning 52mpg average.

I flooked out and managed to find a 6 month old car with the majority of the BMW Performance catalogue parts fitted:-

BMW Performance Engine Power Pack
BMW Performance Front Brake upgrade (Awesome brakes!!!)
BMW Performance Black nostril grills
BMW Performance Stripes
BMW Performance Carbon fibre spoiler
BMW Performance Carbon fibre diffuser
BMW Performance Lightweight Alloys
BMW Performance Aluminium pedals

Just need the BMW Performance gear knob now....... Sorry to digress.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
bujala
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 118d

I have 118d and i can't reach more than 38/100 miles l
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
nads
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d '57

Quote:
Originally Posted by owaid View Post
hi
i have new bmw 118d sport.bmw figures state that i should get around 50 miles per gallon locally and on motorway around 70 miles per gallon.
but i only get about 30-32 miles locally and between 45-50 on motorway.
i will be intrested to know what other owners of the same vehicle get.
spoke to bmw they said that this is the norm. why state higher figures on their website?
Unfortunately, their tests are carried out under optimal driving conditions (probably a rolling road) and are a maximum. I've got a 118d SE and found it does about the same as yours and I'm know to have a bit of a lead foot! but considering my Yaris used to do about the same, I'm more than happy. I love it when I drive on the motorway and it tells me I have more miles left to my fuel when I arrive than when I left.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Pwalo
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 118d m sport Le Mans blue 2009

Hi, depends on how you drive and also how many miles e car has racked up. Ambient temperature makes a difference and if you use the revs and accelerate hard You will never get anyway near optimum fuel economy. I have a 118 d m sport and it gives about 50 mpg measured on the tank. But my communte normally means aia leave the house and sit at about 65 70 with minimal traffic for about 25 miles. minimal gear changes and hardly any stop start motoring give a reasonable retrun.Also monitor the average speed reading on your dash - the more time you spend crawling through traffic drags fe down so the higher the average speed will mean the better the fe usually (obviously not talking 80-90 on the motorway). You really have to modify your driving to get great fuel economy. If however you buy an economical car like the 1 diesel and drive it normally ou are still getting better fe than if you bought something that didn't claim to be an economical car. The difference in the oem stated figures are down to the fact that manufacturers have to use a predetermined controlled measurement method( usually a rolling road) as its impossible for them to predict the driving conditions, terrain and driving styles of each bmw owner. What this controlled method enables you as a buyer to donis see the differences between each car using a level playing field and make your choice based upon that. You might find also that as the engine and transmission loosen up the fe improves. Also check our tyre pressures are cock on as that hits fe too.
Appreciate 0