BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
BruceWarne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Powerflex E82 Manuall Rear Subframe Inserts

Quick reference that will save someone from redoing the install:

Do not ignore this note on Powerflex's website:
US MODELS: Use PFR5-421; NOT PFR5-423

That note is applicable to manual transmission cars too.

Their website was not always clear on this (if you own a manual car and was shopping for these you'll know what I mean).

I can confirm that PFR5-423 does not fit manual transmission cars.

If you had bought these and had a shop install it, you might want to check the install. You can make them fit using excessive force and a certain amount of foul language - but you can clearly see it's not supposed go there. It doesn't look right, and the car sort of handles like crap, because you cannot get the subframe bolts torqued down. Not good.

I ordered the 421's, from the pic on the website it looks like it will work. I'll update this post when I install them.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Interesting...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

This happened to me. Fortunatetly i did it my self but was very annoying to find out I hd got the wrong parts. My car is a manual AND is a 130i EU spec. So it apply to other cases as well, not just US spec cars
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Why would Powerflex make two different versions? One for manual and auto cars - while BMW uses the SAME M3 subframe mount for both Auto and Manual equipped cars. ?

I am so happy with my OE M3 subframe mounts.

Dackel's replacement of rear suspension OE bushings with M3 ones…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1#post11189793
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Why would Powerflex make two different versions? One for manual and auto cars - while BMW uses the SAME M3 subframe mount for both Auto and Manual equipped cars. ?

I am so happy with my OE M3 subframe mounts.
Because there are two different versions of the rear frame bushings so the inserts must be the right shape and size. I never found definitive answer as to what cars have which bushings. I bought 423 powerflex the first time just to find out I needed 421's. All is fine now but I had to buy a second set of the right part number from powerflex. The good thing is that the rear set can be installed without even taking the wheels off

However, if you pay a shop to do the install it will be a problem and may cost more.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
Because there are two different versions of the rear frame bushings so the inserts must be the right shape and size.
Well... yes, there is a front set and a rear set of bushing for the rear axle bushings. That is obvious. But you don't see BMW making two set(s) of bushings for an Automatic/DSG trans and one(set) for the Manual trans car. That was the way I read the above post.

I really don't feel that these powerflex bushings do the job as well as the M3 ones. One of our Euro 1Addicts (Elsabor67) first went with the Powerflex bushings only to later upgrade to the M3 ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well... yes, there is a front set and a rear set of bushing for the rear axle bushings. That is obvious. But you don't see BMW making two set(s) of bushings for an Automatic/DSG trans and one(set) for the Manual trans car. That was the way I read the above post.

I really don't feel that these powerflex bushings do the job as well as the M3 ones. One of our Euro 1Addicts (Elsabor67) first went with the Powerflex bushings only to later upgrade to the M3 ones.
Well, go figure, we don't know all the part numbers BMW releases, do we?. we are just sharing the findings. What I posted is my own experience, no friend of a friend told me, I did the install myself and experienced first hand I had ordered the wrong part (which by the way was a fault from powerflex online assistance as they supposedly check what was the part my car required as I gave them model year and version -2006 130i 6MT).

And, I have the inserts in my own car and they DO the job. the rear suspension no longer steers my car over joints or bumps as in the past.

Yes I agree they may not be as good, but I don't see the M3 items to be 3 times better as they are 3 times more expensive once you account for instillation costs as they are not an easy DIY as are the inserts.

Inserts fix the problem in EVERY Daily drive situation, whereas the OEM setup fails to do so and even the minor bumps can upset the rear. I also did the toe arm powerflex bushings and the rear no longer steers or move around even on the roughest/bumpiest/ roads. unless of course the tire jumps off the road but that is another story

Last edited by maupineda; 05-27-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Well, go figure, we don't know all the part numbers BMW releases, do we?. we are just sharing the findings. What I posted is my own experience, no friend of a friend told me, I did the install myself and experienced first hand I had ordered the wrong part (which by the way was a fault from powerflex online assistance as they supposedly check what was the part my car required as I gave them model year and version -2006 130i 6MT).
yes we do - realoem gets them all, since it's from BMW dealership catalogues

i'll have a look when i get back, but i'm pretty sure there shouldn't be a difference... and i have a 130i 6mt myself
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...29&hg=33&fg=30

and

front + rear rear subframe bushings identical for many MANY BMW models including 130i, 128i, 135i.

Quote:
And, I have the inserts in my own car and they DO the job. the rear suspension no longer steers my car over joints or bumps as in the past.

Yes I agree they may not be as good, but I don't see the M3 items to be 3 times better as they are 3 times more expensive once you account for instillation costs as they are not an easy DIY as are the inserts.

Inserts fix the problem in EVERY Daily drive situation, whereas the OEM setup fails to do so and even the minor bumps can upset the rear. I also did the toe arm powerflex bushings and the rear no longer steers or move around even on the roughest/bumpiest/ roads. unless of course the tire jumps off the road but that is another story
this is true, the problem is if your bushings are really worn, it's not quite ENOUGH of an improvement

Quote:

the full bushings

PFR5-420
PFR5-422

should be stronger/stiffer/longer lasting than the M3 ones - i'll personally probably get the black ones when it comes time for me (even slightly stiffer than the purple ones)

the insert's are definitely the go for people on a budget/street driven only because they're simply so much cheaper

Last edited by flinchy; 05-28-2013 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
BruceWarne
Private
Rep

Not everyone does all the research before they buy these things - if you do the research (just taking the time to open real OEM and seeing Auto and Manual uses the same bushings) then it pretty clear what you need.

But most people will probably just do a quick google search - that's why I posted this thread. Of course the fact that I spelled it manuall might sort of mess up that idea ;-)

Obviously the M3 bushings are better - I don't see powerflex inserts on M-cars OE. But I'm hoping these will at least get rid of that feeling of sitting on a weather balloon - and they're cheaper and takes less than an hour to install.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWarne View Post
Not everyone does all the research before they buy these things - if you do the research (just taking the time to open real OEM and seeing Auto and Manual uses the same bushings) then it pretty clear what you need.

But most people will probably just do a quick google search - that's why I posted this thread. Of course the fact that I spelled it manuall might sort of mess up that idea ;-)

Obviously the M3 bushings are better - I don't see powerflex inserts on M-cars OE. But I'm hoping these will at least get rid of that feeling of sitting on a weather balloon - and they're cheaper and takes less than an hour to install.
They will, at least they did in my 6+ years old car. no more mushiness from the back during bridge joints or bumps. the most noticeable effect is the rear no longer steers all over.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
r0nd3L
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just FIY, I just installed Whiteline inserts (ONLY $54 shipped!). Fitment and quality seem spot on. Car drives a lot better and feels more responsive. These did not lower subframe like Powerflex ones (although I have a feeling people are wrong there as well due to optical illusion).
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

What P/N did you use on the Whiteline parts? Was it the Rear Crossmember Mount Inserts, Part Number: KDT918? I'm interested in doing this, esp if install is relatively simple, the price is right.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

Subbing for white line part numbers as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:

Full busing replacement is better (not hugely) but, the inserts are a much easier DIY and no special tool needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
r0nd3L
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX135i View Post
What P/N did you use on the Whiteline parts? Was it the Rear Crossmember Mount Inserts, Part Number: KDT918? I'm interested in doing this, esp if install is relatively simple, the price is right.
That is the correct part number. Install was a joke. Losen all 4 bolts. Remove rear bolts, slide the inserts from top and bottom, put bolts back in but don't tighten. Remove front bolts, install inserts, put the bolts bakc in. Tigthen all 4 bolts to spec and done. An hour tops.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

Welp, ya sold me on it. Not much investment with a big upside. I'll try this before gong further. I don't track it ever, but would like a little better street feel and I bet this suits me just fine. Thanks for the info and verification!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
r0nd3L
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX135i View Post
Welp, ya sold me on it. Not much investment with a big upside. I'll try this before gong further. I don't track it ever, but would like a little better street feel and I bet this suits me just fine. Thanks for the info and verification!
I think you'll like them, I do. If you don't, not much money invested...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Looking into the whiteline option. Thanks for the tip. Please post your thoughts after driving on it a few times/a while!

Does the rear end still feel twitchy? How hard does the rear feel now?
      06-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
Katkarot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010MDX 2012135i

How does not putting these inserts in now raise the car?

Can anyone compare how effective are the inserts versus M3 full bushings?
Would the inserts be 50% of what a full bushing change would be?

Last edited by Katkarot; 06-06-2013 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #21
BruceWarne
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkarot View Post
How does not putting these inserts in now raise the car?

anyone can compare how effective are the inserts versus M3 full bushings?
Would the inserts be 50% of what a full bushing change would be?
As soon as I get the right parts I'll do the install again and measure the body to sub-frame distance with and without the powerflex inserts.

From what I saw last time the inserts shouldn't noticeably raise it - the thick inserts go on the bottom, the thinner ones between sub-frame and body.

I'll grab the measuring tape and take some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
Katkarot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010MDX 2012135i

Great thanks. I m interested in this mid for simplicity and cost sake vs full bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWarne View Post
As soon as I get the right parts I'll do the install again and measure the body to sub-frame distance with and without the powerflex inserts.

From what I saw last time the inserts shouldn't noticeably raise it - the thick inserts go on the bottom, the thinner ones between sub-frame and body.

I'll grab the measuring tape and take some pictures.
Appreciate 0