BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #23
Duesentrieb
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: E81 116i, F31 LCI 320d

Sorry for the slow response - I had some work to do.

Ok, so my theory is wrong.
But the other solution maybe work nevertheless.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 01:52 AM   #24
Poptarts
Private
Rep
Drives: responsibly

Hey guys!

I have a 2011 E82 135i (prod date 07/10) with a Professional HU, Base speaker (Stereo), Bluetooth and Sirius (= I have MOST).

I am trying to code from Stereo to HiFi is because I upgraded my sound system (DSP, amps, speakers) and right now with the HU in Stereo mode it clearly affects the sound quality (although I tried to de-EQ the stock EQ but I can tell quality should be better).

Because I'm in the Bay Area I could ask Adrian to code my car with ICOM (I had gotten a quote from him, very responsive and nice) but for the sake of understanding what is going on underneath I would love to manage to do it without ICOM. This will be my fallback plan.

Here is what I did so far!!

Initially I had found instructions saying you need to add $676 to your VO then reset the following modules: CHOST, CAPPL, CGATE, CAUDI, CTUNE.
=> I don't have these modules...

So instead I did:
- add $676 to VO
- FA_WRITE to CAS then NFRM
- SG_CODIEREN (reset) CAS then NFRM
- SG_CODIEREN to 2URAD --> Failed (see 2URAD_SG_CODIEREN.PNG)

At this time I had not read this thread. So I just closed everything, locked the car and went online to do some research.

Then I found this awesome thread, and especially post #16 from Duesentrieb.
So I thought to myself, if I go back to the car and it hasn't taken the new VO, I have something new to try!

After a good 45min I went back to the car:
- HU secret menu > Audio > Stereo...
- So I tried the procedure with Tool32 > Steuergerate_reset
The HU power cycled and I heard a few clicks here and there.
- Checked again secret menu > Audio > Stereo...

Then I closed Tool32 and went to NCS:
- Checked the VO --> still shows $676
- Tried to read 2URAD --> Error (see 2URAD_Read_ECU.PNG)
- Tried 2URAD > SG_RESET --> no error, HU power cycled, same as with Tool32
- Checked again secret menu > Audio > Stereo...

Does anybody have an idea about what I could try now?
Thanks in advance

--
List of the modules my car has:
2JBBF
2MULF
2URAD
63BMO
ABG
BFS
CAS
DSC
EKP
FAS
FZD
IHK
KOMBI
LSMC
NFRM
RDCLC
RLS
RSMC
TCUM

--

As a side note I found this post that suggests to:
- use a blank FSW_PSW.MAN
- SG_CODIEREN process the car
- run into an error with 2MULF
- SG_RESET process the car
- magically the HU would take a VO change...

Honestly I don't want to try something I don't understand, unless someone can explain to me what this does, why it would work and if it is safe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:46 AM   #25
Poptarts
Private
Rep

Additional thoughts:
- could the errors I get with 2URAD module come from an issue with my DATEN version?
- how do you check which version of DATEN you have?

I was surprised not to be able to do a manual read of the 2URAD, however if I look at the large FSW_PSW.TRC (the one you get after selecting the chassis, CAS then hit Back) it looks like the content of 2URAD is within this file.

So I had the curiosity to compare my latest large FSW_PSW.TRC with the one I backed up before writing $676 to the VO.

And the result gets me completely baffled
Attached below a file that contains the latest values, I copied all the lines where the values were reported different. Note: it may be across different modules, since it spans the whole file and I don't know where 2URAD starts and stops.

Basically in many places where it used to say "stereo" it now says "hifi"!!
Which would mean that it actually worked?!?!

As stupid as I am, because I kept seeing Stereo in the secret menu I didn't even turn on the radio to see if I could hear a difference
Attached Files
File Type: txt Diff_FSW_PSW.TRC.txt (3.4 KB, 208 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:57 AM   #26
Poptarts
Private
Rep

Thumbs down

All right, I couldn't resist so I went back to the car...
Secret menu still shows Stereo.
And my DSP still shows a high amplitude coming from the HU

I guess the latest FSW_PSW.TRC contains updated values that are NOT read from my car, but that are based on the VO that is read from the car.
It seems obvious of course, otherwise reading each module one by one would take much more time...

So my initial question remains: help please.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #27
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
Does anybody have an idea about what I could try now?
Yep, call Adrian. ;-)

Sorry, you're going down the same road I already spent a lot of time on. Save yourself a lot of effort and just spend the $60 to get the coding done via ICOM and start enjoying better sound. Unless that menu in the HU reads hifi, you haven't accomplished anything...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #28
Poptarts
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to wait a couple more days in case Duesentrieb or another master coder wants to get a stab at it, but otherwise yep it will be a job for Adrian.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #29
Dapperson
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

any update on this? Interested in Alpine retrofit for 2010 e82 but don't want to bother with ICOM.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #30
Poptarts
Private
Rep

Quick update: I installed a different set of BMW tools, latest 60.1 daten and tried again to talk to 2URAD module --> still no way.

My car had the airbag recall on Saturday. I was waiting to see if they would do a reset of all the modules but I got it back exactly like I left it, and headunit still shows Stereo.

So I've contacted Adrian from SF Coding and will meet him this week to hopefully be done with this!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #31
Poptarts
Private
Rep

Went to see Adrian from SF Coding today, found him awesome.
Honest, efficient and reasonable price.
I understand why Ianc recommended him and I strongly recommend him as well.

Since I already had added S676 to my VO he just had to do a SG_CODIEREN to 2URAD in Expertmode and... voila!!! Hidden menu on the head unit immediately showed HiFi after it reset.

As a precaution I asked him to do the same to MULF2, just in case.

In the end he didn't even have to use the ICOM B (MOST) but just the ICOM A (OBD).
So this is indeed a matter of cable and how it handles larger packets like MOST GW requires.

For me that was perfect since I'm not planning on investing on an ICOM.
Now I can continue my audio setup, sweeeeet!!!

Last edited by Poptarts; 02-06-2018 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #32
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Glad to hear you got it sorted, the sound improvement over the garbage stock 'hifi' is huge. I had another fellow PM me asking about the level of the install difficulty, which is not that bad.

You can't attach images to PM's for some reason, so I'll just post a couple of the install here. Didn't take any of the doors apart though...

ianc
Attached Images

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 11:30 PM   #33
semaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Glad to hear you got it sorted, the sound improvement over the garbage stock 'hifi' is huge. I had another fellow PM me asking about the level of the install difficulty, which is not that bad.

You can't attach images to PM's for some reason, so I'll just post a couple of the install here. Didn't take any of the doors apart though...

ianc
Thanks ianc! Much appreciated. I'm going to order the speakers and do the install myself. Looks like a fun little day project.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #34
Poptarts
Private
Rep

Hey guys, just to wrap-up the story of cheap USB cable vs more expensive one, I had the opportunity to try a "better" cable, the one sold by one-stop electronics thanks to another member of 1Addicts.

Unfortunately it threw exactly the same message when attempting to read any MOST module (2URAD, TCUM) --> "IFH-0009: No response from controlunit RAD2". So that gives the answer that it's not just the USB cable.

Note: I am not surprised because except the price and USB cord the one-stop cable and mine are identical --> clear plastic housing, green PCB with same part layout.

I still think that:
- either the MOST GW is not configured properly for D-CAN operation
- or some RAD2 (not all of them) require an ICOM to speak MOST

I wish I could capture the signals with a scope and observe the difference!!
If someone has an ICOM in the South Bay Area send me a PM I'll provide the scope (I'm an EE) and the beer
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #35
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Keep us posted on your findings. I'm curious too after all that, but whether I'll be able to understand your EE speak is another matter...

ianc

Appreciate 0