BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #111
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

also, the 1m does have more torque than the m3. it is not called an m1 because of the original m1 supercar, not because it can't be aligned with the m3/5/6. it's painful to see you lack basic facts and spew verbal diarrhea, but i've now said my piece and will now bow out.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #112
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Keep this in perspective all this dialogue was launched from this opinion, "So, which of the two is quicker around Monticello's south course? The more agile 1M Coupe takes the corners, while the more powerful M3 takes the straights – yet, overall, the pair are unbelievably close on this circuit. Lacking telemetry, we honestly don't know which is quicker. However, it is obvious that the new car is more engaging and more enjoyable to drive. Offered the choice between the two, seeking a weekend track racer that will see double-duty as a work commuter, we would take this new 1M Coupe over a BMW M3 Competition."

Please take note of this. "yet, overall, the pair are unbelievably close on this circuit. Lacking telemetry, we honestly don't know which is quicker."

1M is an awesome machine.
M3 is an awesome machine.

Much hype always goes to the newest and the more underdog so naturally the 1M gets the edge in the article. Fact is that this is purely preference and feel. Some will like one over the other...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #113
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Eh, even though I think the 1M is strong effort on BMW's part to put an ///M on the 1 series roster and it will undoubtedly have it's boosters, I'd still rather have the M3. Start talking lightly used E92M's in the mid to high 40's to bring the prices within comparison and it gets even more interesting. (For the guys who can't just wave a wand and make whatever car they desire appear in the driveway...)

Engine alone does if for me. S65 is one sweet power unit, and seems to suffer no widespread reliability concerns. Can't say that about the N54 with a straight face. The only ugly thing you can say about the S65 is the fuel economy, which sucks by comparison. It sucks because it makes power the old fashioned way and is less of a compromise...more pistons, revs, fuel and compression ratio.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #114
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Why is everyone so up tight? No Turbo has just 18 posts so far - he's here to stir. Other M3 pickers have good justifications on their choice.

Getting really excited now, as the delivery gets closer.

Last edited by sparoz; 05-16-2011 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #115
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Speaking of the engine, I would like to understand the torque boost function better. I think there was something about a "7 second max" to the boost. So does that mean if I'm driving full throttle, after 7 seconds without lifting, the power decreases back to 332 lb/ft? What if I lift for a second when I shift? Does the 7 second counter reset? What about when I rev up to outside the RPM range where the overboost occurs? Does the counter stop then too? How long from whenever I'm outside the overboost parameters before I can overboost again? Is entry/exit of overboost mode obvious?
Matt Russell described it during the Press presentation at the Monticello circuit. The overboost is most effective at low rpm. It starts at 1500rpm with the full overboost and gradually tails off until about 4500 where it rejoins the normal torque curve. Kinda like a triangle. He said it was only active for between 5-7secs. He said it requires WOT to activate and suggested to the press that they floor it in 6th on the Highway to experience it.

I watched a youtube clip of the presentation last night (UK time) but can't find it again now when trying to post (Maybe they've pulled it )
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #116
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mer View Post
I watched a youtube clip of the presentation last night (UK time) but can't find it again now when trying to post (Maybe they've pulled it )
Found it!

somewhere around 13:20
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #117
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Have had M6and M3 and can say my 1m is the best I have owned. I even rank it above my 911's. As much fun, just as quick and half the price!! In gear acceleration is amazing as are handling and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #118
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

This 1M review along with having seen one in-person is making me rethink what I want in my garage. I own a gorgeous 2011 M3 with ZCP and I'm aching to trade it in for a 1M. This is not at all about money.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #119
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

BMW Magazine, Issue 1, 2011 pg. 51, "The BMW 1 Series M Coupe is a driving machine for those who like take it to the limit - not so much a distant cousin of the BMW 135i as the kid brother of the BMW M3."

Could not have said it better...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #120
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

Another observation - Autoblog changed the title of this post.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #121
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 cobb STI/ AW 1M comming s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
It's a little more than that.

The M3 engine is just a whole different experience than the N54, it's so responsive and pulls so hard to redline. And yeah, it sounds absolutely amazing in the process.

The 135 is fun because it's so small, but I'll like having a little more room in the M3 for daily use, little more room in the back seats, bigger trunk, etc.

Plus the M3 in Interlagos Blue just looks absolutely amazing. The M3 has been my dream car for years, the 1M just didn't seem as exciting to me. Not to say it isn't an incredibly competent car, but I just enjoyed driving the M3 so much I can't imagine a 1M being more enjoyable as a daily driver.
ehhhh....had never drove a m3 before recently when i went to order my 1m. I drove there in my 2003 subaru STI (i am not comparing total package here) and my sales rep had no 135 or 335 that i could test drive so he lent me his M3 with the bmw sport exhaust or whatever it was.....It was a beautiful car, superb interior that made the STI that i allready hated interiorwise look even worst ....Over the years i had gotten very used to the power of my STI even if it is tuned and very capable....Imagine my surprise when i tried the m3!! where is the torque? Where is the "slam me in my seat " effect..?.....if i was handed the choice today between my STI and M3 hands down i would take the M3 ....But knowing the kind of power a turbo engine can deliver easily also makes me choose the 1M over the M3......AND YESSSSSS I KNOW THE STI HAS A SHITTY INTERIOR AND LOOKS LIKE THE BATMOBILE........just sayin...

Last edited by SUBIMMER; 05-16-2011 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #122
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBIMMER View Post
ehhhh....had never drove a m3 before recently when i went to order my 1m. I drove there in my 2003 subaru STI (i am not comparing total package here) and my sales rep had no 135 or 335 that i could test drive so he lent me his M3 with the bmw sport exhaust or whatever it was.....It was a beautiful car, superb interior that made the STI that i allready hated interiorwise look even worst ....Over the years i had gotten very used to the power of my STI even if it is tuned and very capable....Imagine my surprise when i tried the m3!! where is the torque? Where is the "slam me in my seat " affect..?.....if i was handed the choice today between my STI and M3 hands down i would take the M3 ....But knowing the kind of power a turbo engine can deliver easily also makes me choose the 1M over the M3......AND YESSSSSS I KNOW THE STI HAS A SHITTY INTERIOR AND LOOKS LIKE THE BATMOBILE........just sayin...
See thats the thing. Sure the M3 sounds great and has great power but you have to wind it out to +7000rpm. Who drives like that around town. The 1M has 'usable' power for a daily driver and loads more for the rack.

The 1M is what the M3 should be. Same thing happened to Audi, the A4/S4 used to be a great sporty small sedan/wagon but now they are huge.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #123
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 cobb STI/ AW 1M comming s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
See thats the thing. Sure the M3 sounds great and has great power but you have to wind it out to +7000rpm. Who drives like that around town. The 1M has 'usable' power for a daily driver and loads more for the rack.

The 1M is what the M3 should be. Same think happened to Audi, the A4/S4 used to be a great sporty small sedan/wagon but now they are are huge.
Exactly!! And if i can propose to put and end to all of this....might i suggest that these two cars are equal but different...Both extremely capable and incredible fun to drive.....One could drive a lifetime in both and while going through intense periods of "i like the 1m better" or "i like the m3 better" meanwhile never beeing able to pinpoint his favorite..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #124
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

If I was buying today, I'd buy 1M.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #125
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
We do..it's slightly ahead of the E92 M3...all things considered.
I don't think one has to be better than the other. They are different cars --different feel--different size -- both marvelous -- and both wonderful -- both with strengths and weaknesses.

I got the 1m because the m3 has gotten too big for my tastes- doesn't make it bad just bigger than I want. I bought both a z3 3.0 and an e46 M3 in one year so I certainly could afford a e92 m3; but I just didn't want a large heavy car.

The folk who annoy me are those who say it isn't a real M because it has m parts developed from other cars. I don't care whether it is the true successor to the e30 or faster than an M3 or slower than an m3. We don't need to pontificate about which is the true BMW -- Let's talk track tires and suspensions and other modifications. M3 folk help us with our parts bin cars and let's all drive and enjoy and get past that awful break in period. If only the rain would stop here.

Holly
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #126
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

When I see an m3 only one word comes to mind: BLOATED

Sorry, guess i'm just a 1Addict
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #127
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
E92 M3: Hammer the throttle in 2nd gear at around 4000rpm. Report back.
And keep it hammered down until it hits 8000...that part's important too.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #128
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscogypsee View Post

Most of them are (to be fair), especially if it was a dealer inventory car that came with $10k worth of crap. You pretty much have to order one if you want the CF roof, 6mt, manual speedcloth seats without the butt warmers and not too much of the other jazz. Something comparable to a basic 1M in other words.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #129
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
WTF???

What the hell happened to this thread? So many deleted posts, some really good ones too...like mine.
      05-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #130
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Just remembering: the actual M3's V8 engine S65 is a derivative of the former M5/M6's V10, the S85, isn't it so? Well unless everything I was reading since years is wrong, that must be leaving the M3 as a...what?

Just stick with "they are all great cars", cause they are and they are all manmade, a profit seeking company ruled by humans made.

New Lambo Aventador is said to have a "brand new, unique, divine etc. etc." engine, if that's a must for anyone, they could buy one. Can be equally fun for a few bucks more.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #131
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBIMMER View Post
ehhhh....had never drove a m3 before recently when i went to order my 1m. I drove there in my 2003 subaru STI (i am not comparing total package here) and my sales rep had no 135 or 335 that i could test drive so he lent me his M3 with the bmw sport exhaust or whatever it was.....It was a beautiful car, superb interior that made the STI that i allready hated interiorwise look even worst ....Over the years i had gotten very used to the power of my STI even if it is tuned and very capable....Imagine my surprise when i tried the m3!! where is the torque? Where is the "slam me in my seat " effect..?.....if i was handed the choice today between my STI and M3 hands down i would take the M3 ....But knowing the kind of power a turbo engine can deliver easily also makes me choose the 1M over the M3......AND YESSSSSS I KNOW THE STI HAS A SHITTY INTERIOR AND LOOKS LIKE THE BATMOBILE........just sayin...
I have a 2005 STi with 380whp...I know what kind of power turbo cars can put down.

I've been driving a turbo car for 6 years now, maybe that's why I'm so intoxicated by the smoothness and response of the M3 engine. I love driving the M3, you touch the gas pedal and it takes off instantly. Even the N54, as great of a turbo engine as it is, doesn't behave like that.

I'll miss the insanely raw power my STi has, that thing will snap your neck on a 1-2 and 2-3 shift. But I think the joy I'll get from the S65 wailing to 8,400rpm will somehow makeup for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #132
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscogypsee View Post

I love all the features in my M3. I always get my cars fully loaded because I enjoy all bells, whistles and pretty colors. As I have stated before my M3 is perfect for ME...

I'm glad they made the 1m, all about choices and enjoying the route from A to B.

See you on the road....
Appreciate 0