BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Quad options?

I'm quite a fan of this 1M replica rear bumper for the 135i. Always loved the rear end of the 1M.
http://www.kerscher-tuning.de/stylin...lang=en&id=754

In addition to this, I've always wanted a quad exhaust. Kersher in these pictures are using a Bastuck exhaust with 85mm tips and I think it looks really nice. I've been advised any 135i quad exhaust work.

Anyone here with quad experience that could share their experiences with the forum? Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

+1 for Remus quad exhaust, bloke at work has one, classy without looking over done.
      10-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Alex collected but put his 1M conversion stuff for sale. He may still have something useful for your exercise. GL
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quad exhaust JAPAN

Had a 135 in for service yesterday that had an interesting exhaust fitted,
one that I have not seen before made in Japan by ARQRAY.
This is the best quad system I have seen, the workmanship is outstanding with a perfect fit.
total work or art
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@Advan View Post
Had a 135 in for service yesterday that had an interesting exhaust fitted,
one that I have not seen before made in Japan by ARQRAY.
This is the best quad system I have seen, the workmanship is outstanding with a perfect fit.
total work or art
Was looking at that exact system. Apparently they are pricey but its the sexiest system I've found. How did it sound compared with a BMW Performance exhaust? There are two versions, one that diverts around the back of the battery tray and another that shoots out to the side. I prefer the version that goes around the back but the plastic underneath needs some trimming as can be seen in the pictures below.

Remus sounds nice, but I don't like the look of the pipes or the tips unfortunately.

Side pipe - 3D Design / ARQRAY

Diverted pipe - 3D Design / ARQRAY

Eisenmann Quad - Not a fan of how flimsy the side pipe looks on this.

REMUS - Sounds nice but just not a fan of it visually

Last edited by PeteA; 10-03-2013 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

yeah i always thought the remus looked pretty dodge in that picture but they've had very positive feedback in real world applications. I don't know if you can call that eisenmann setup a true quad :P that pipes so skinny you may as well just glue fake tips on the right. really like arquay round the back though! how much is it?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
yeah i always thought the remus looked pretty dodge in that picture but they've had very positive feedback in real world applications. I don't know if you can call that eisenmann setup a true quad :P that pipes so skinny you may as well just glue fake tips on the right. really like arquay round the back though! how much is it?
It's my preferred pick. I'll see if I can get a price from Stuart.

Quote:
But they also offer these tips...
Still not a fan...they look short? I guess I'm just a bit of a sucker for chrome / polished aluminium exhausts :P
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
^ those Remus tips are bad

But they also offer these tips...
+1
      10-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #9
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Sounds great IMO. Not Akra good, but add some downpipes and it should scream like one.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #10
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
It's my preferred pick. I'll see if I can get a price from Stuart.
I've also been thinking of exhaust options lately and love the look of the quad exhaust set up, keen to hear what price Stuart can do the ARQRAY for as it does look an awesome bit of kit.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #11
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

A few more pics of the ARQRAY from the WSTO 135i way back

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510186
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Just a quick update this lazy Sunday.

Bastuck and ARQRAY are almost identical in design. Bastuck is made in Germany, ARQRAY is made in Japan.

The ARQRAY is looking to be north of 2.5k. For an axle back that's pretty expensive but its pretty darn sexy looking. I'll inquire about the Bastuck as well then post back.

http://www.bastuck.de/shop/index.php...11020&detail=1
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Bastuck and ARQRAY are almost identical in design. Bastuck is made in Germany, ARQRAY is made in Japan.

The ARQRAY is looking to be north of 2.5k. For an axle back that's pretty expensive but its pretty darn sexy looking. I'll inquire about the Bastuck as well then post back.

Good work PeteA, it may be sexy looking but unfortunately i can't justify spending 2.5k on just an axle back, then there's the new diffuser to take into account + fitting, would work out a very cool but costly exercise.

Off track but anyone know what's up with BMR's website? has been down for a few days now at least.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

I agree with you, it sure is expensive for an axle back, hence I'm going to inquire about the Bastuck too as its an almost identical design.

An alternative to consider is the Kersher 1M replica rear over another diffuser / stock bumper combination (for something different). I think it looks great.

http://www.kerscher-tuning.de/downlo...her_e82e88.pdf

Official word from Kerscher.
Quote:
Hello Peter,

Thanks for your mail.

We have built our M-rearbumper with Bastuck exhaust but think also quad exhaust other suppliers will fit if diameter of tail pipes is not too big (Bastuck uses 85mm).
Diffusor is same size as 1M but if you order our rearbumper you do not need a diffusor as it is part of rearbumper (it looks like 2 pieces but is only 1 piece - we only did paint diffusor in different colour). Complete rearbumper (with integrated diffusor) comes in good quality and good fitting fiberglass.

Look forward to hear from you.

Kind regards
Emmi
EDIT - BMR is down for maintenance

Last edited by PeteA; 10-05-2013 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Ok,

Here is my reasoning on why the ARQRAY with its 3D Design quad carbon fiber diffuser is the best go-to bolt on solution for the 135i.

Top three
1st ARQRAY - ~76cm tips spacing.
Diverted pipes, unvalved ~$2.5k

Why you shouldn't - Price. Some small trimming required of the underskrit next to battery.
Why you should - Looks great, perfect fitment, cheaper of the two ARQRAY systems. Bolt-on solution.

2nd Eisenmann - ~76cm tips spacing.

Why you shouldn't bother - The side pipe is flimsy and is not a true quad. About the same price as the ARQRAY (>2K).
Why you should - Easy to get in Australia. Looks good and quality seems top notch. Compatible with 3D Design quad diffuser. Bolt-on solution

3rd ARQRAY - ~76cm tips spacing.
Side pipes, valved ~$4k

Why you shouldn't - PRICE!
Why you should - Absolutely no trimming required compared to other system. Bolt-on solution.

Honorable mention:
- SuperSprint - 58cm tips spacing

Why you shouldn't - Requires BMW 1M rear conversion. The Kerscher 1M rear bumper at the beginning of this post is spaced at 76mm apart so is incompatible. Given the price of their other products, this will cost an arm and a leg.
Why you should - You're planning a 1M rear end conversion and don't want to do the full battery tray / leads etc change too.

Other stuff;
- Remus - Looks like crap. Pass.
- HARTGE - Not sure on the tip spacing. Fairly sure it required the HARTE valence as well (which I think looks overdone).
- BASTUCK - If you google search some fittment pictures you will see that the tips sit about 15 cm too low and required their own specific valence which looks horrible. Given this, I'd avoid the Kerscher 1M replica rear end as well as they are using the BASTUCK exhaust on the pictures on the OP and this risks of not working with all the other stuff should you decide to use those exhausts instead.

Have fun guys.

EDIT - The only alternative is a full conversion ala Stu @ BMR http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818172

Last edited by PeteA; 10-07-2013 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #16
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Ok,

Here is my reasoning on why the ARQRAY with its 3D Design quad carbon fiber diffuser is the best go-to bolt on solution for the 135i.

Top three
1st ARQRAY - ~76cm tips spacing.
Diverted pipes, unvalved ~$2.5k

Why you shouldn't - Price. Some small trimming required of the underskrit next to battery.
Why you should - Looks great, perfect fitment, cheaper of the two ARQRAY systems. Bolt-on solution.

2nd Eisenmann - ~76cm tips spacing.

Why you shouldn't bother - The side pipe is flimsy and is not a true quad. About the same price as the ARQRAY (>2K).
Why you should - Easy to get in Australia. Looks good and quality seems top notch. Compatible with 3D Design quad diffuser. Bolt-on solution

3rd ARQRAY - ~76cm tips spacing.
Side pipes, valved ~$4k

Why you shouldn't - PRICE!
Why you should - Absolutely no trimming required compared to other system. Bolt-on solution.

Honorable mention:
- SuperSprint - 58cm tips spacing

Why you shouldn't - Requires BMW 1M rear conversion. The Kerscher 1M rear bumper at the beginning of this post is spaced at 76mm apart so is incompatible. Given the price of their other products, this will cost an arm and a leg.
Why you should - You're planning a 1M rear end conversion and don't want to do the full battery tray / leads etc change too.

Other stuff;
- Remus - Looks like crap. Pass.
- HARTGE - Not sure on the tip spacing. Fairly sure it required the HARTE valence as well (which I think looks overdone).
- BASTUCK - If you google search some fittment pictures you will see that the tips sit about 15 cm too low and required their own specific valence which looks horrible. Given this, I'd avoid the Kerscher 1M replica rear end as well as they are using the BASTUCK exhaust on the pictures on the OP and this risks of not working with all the other stuff should you decide to use those exhausts instead.

Have fun guys.

EDIT - The only alternative is a full conversion ala Stu @ BMR http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818172
Rpi??

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492082
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #17
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Wasn't aware of that one. Looks like a pretty good design (simple infact). I'd probably have put that one in at third place, especially for value for money. Not sure if you can get that axle back only as the custom midpipes might induce a drone over the N55 midpipes.

Listened to a few videos on youtube (i know it probably wouldnt compare to in person) but it seems to be lacking the nice straight 6 sound that the likes of the BMW Performance exhaust brings out. This is a personal taste thing, but I think the ARQRAY sounds the best out of the lot of em.

http://www.esstuning.com/products/13...st-System.html
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #18
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:

not sure if it's been pointed out.. but for that money, you could easily get a 1m battery tray swap + a diffuser of some sort... and shit, probably an akra muffler?

and for these $2500 prices... it's so deep into extremely personalized custom-muffler money.. i mean, you could go to any high-end exhaust shop with this budget and get something absolutely amazing, out of any material whatsoever... heck, probably custom downpipes included for the pric.e..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #19
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Battery convertion will cost you 1.2k ish? Excluding diffuser (this is a constant between ehxuasts lets say) and exhaust ontop (minimum 1.5k?). In addition, any 1M exhaust you put on will require cutting to fit to the right spacing....do you really want to cut an akra? You may be able to find or custom make a 135i quad diffuser that has 56cm tip spacing.

Might be able to pick up an OEM 1M exhaust cheap as chips, but Id assume you're after a bit more oomf than a stock exhaust.

Pros/Cons I guess flinch I personally prefer a simple bolt on solution.

Last edited by PeteA; 10-07-2013 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #20
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
and for these $2500 prices... it's so deep into extremely personalized custom-muffler money.. i mean, you could go to any high-end exhaust shop with this budget and get something absolutely amazing, out of any material whatsoever... heck, probably custom downpipes included for the pric.e..
This is very true also, you make a good point. They are all super expensive, but considering a standard Perforance exhaust is 1.3k its not too eye watering.

On the flip side, many have spent 6-7k on an evolution system with good reason. (fittment, warranty, worksmanship, harmonics, materials, visual appeal ++++ any other RnD involved in making an exhaust).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Battery convertion will cost you 1.2k ish? Excluding diffuser (this is a constant between ehxuasts lets say) and exhaust ontop (minimum 1.5k?). In addition, any 1M exhaust you put on will require cutting to fit to the right spacing....do you really want to cut an akra? You may be able to find or custom make a 135i quad diffuser that has 56cm tip spacing.

Might be able to pick up an OEM 1M exhaust cheap as chips, but Id assume you're after a bit more oomf than a stock exhaust.

Pros/Cons I guess flinch I personally prefer a simple bolt on solution.
where's the $1.2k from?

most of the pricings, if i remember right, seen are around the $500-$600 mark in parts i think (DIY) (assuming you don't custom make your own battery post+cables which saves boatloads) and the $1.2k figure includes a nice diffuser + 1M muffler... though yes, i agree you'd probably be after something with a bit more throat, and the price would probably end up quite a lot closer to the $2.5k figure anyway... point.. haha

can understand wanting a direct bolt on, but $2.5k is a ton of change for what is, realistically, purely for looks?

Quote:
This is very true also, you make a good point. They are all super expensive, but considering a standard Perforance exhaust is 1.3k its not too eye watering.

On the flip side, many have spent 6-7k on an evolution system with good reason. (fittment, warranty, worksmanship, harmonics, materials, visual appeal ++++ any other RnD involved in making an exhaust).
yeah, but compare a BMWPE to a berk or something, and it's almost a strange choice to get the PE 9/10 times lol. (unless you REALLY want that specific sound)

strangely, i can almost totally agree with and understand the decision to go with an evolution... if you have that kinda money, it's probably the better choice all over lol... besides the fact you're guaranteed to get that sound. mmmmm.

one day... haha
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Froop has just advertised an oem 1M exhaust for $400. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...postcount=4086 i didn't realise though until reading above that it sound's like quite a pain to fit to 135.
Appreciate 0