BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #111
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndevil View Post
time has come again for me to ask...
my rear turbo took a shit...wastegate wont shut all the way to hold boost so...

will this ever be released as a kit? if so, got a ETA? if not... looks like i will OEM or pure stage 2s...

thanks!
JD will be releasing this kit when its done and tested. I assume a basic and full Monty version will be available.

As Marty has said, the fabricator is slow and thorough when he has the time. Others have found out how difficult timely fabrication is in Sydney. And expensive.

The solution is comprehensive and no engineering shortcuts have been taken. If you can chuck some second hand cheap OEMs at your car the ST will be worth the wait. Combined with Marty's latest N54 incremental mods, manifold and monster IC....the Full Monty will be a good thing.

135i - RHD Bottom Mount Single Turbo - GTX3584RS
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #112
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac View Post
are you specifically wanting a bottom mount?
It's not about wanting about a bottom mount. Rather, its about what is possible with the ridiculous, small space available to RHD cars. JD75 and Advan started ST projects 5 years ago but gave up due to cost and time.

There are many reasons why I ended up with bottom mount solution. Heat is away from sensitive areas, room to allow for an external waste-gate turbo and decent dump pipe, plus stealth fitment keeps it away from prying, piggy eyes.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 12:16 AM   #113
RJ019
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Low Mount ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i2 View Post
JD will be releasing this kit when its done and tested. I assume a basic and full Monty version will be available.

As Marty has said, the fabricator is slow and thorough when he has the time. Others have found out how difficult timely fabrication is in Sydney. And expensive.

The solution is comprehensive and no engineering shortcuts have been taken. If you can chuck some second hand cheap OEMs at your car the ST will be worth the wait. Combined with Marty's latest N54 incremental mods, manifold and monster IC....the Full Monty will be a good thing.
Good things come to who wait!

Is the fabricator making several parts for the kit at once? or will they be mass produced later?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #114
rac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Quote:
It's not about wanting about a bottom mount. Rather, its about what is possible with the ridiculous, small space available to RHD cars. JD75 and Advan started ST projects 5 years ago but gave up due to cost and time.

There are many reasons why I ended up with bottom mount solution. Heat is away from sensitive areas, room to allow for an external waste-gate turbo and decent dump pipe, plus stealth fitment keeps it away from prying, piggy eyes.
Yeah I am aware of the reasons why someone might want a bottom mount. I was asking azndevil if he wanted a bottom mount.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #115
azndevil
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i mt

Quote:
are you specifically wanting a bottom mount?
its preferred but doesnt really matter in my case as i am not aiming for huge power so no huge turbo needed

price is a main determining factor though... i am at a stage where i might just get another set of stock twins, inlets and outlets and call it a day...

no one local will be able to support me in tuning or fabricating so if something doesnt fit even with a hammer, im SOL and stuck with something thats useless

from what i see...i should be around 500 rwhp if i only run on 93 pump with stage 2 twins or ST....
but tuning ST is another issue in itself so i dont know if i will be opening a can of worms...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #116
rac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
its preferred but doesnt really matter in my case as i am not aiming for huge power so no huge turbo needed

price is a main determining factor though... i am at a stage where i might just get another set of stock twins, inlets and outlets and call it a day...

no one local will be able to support me in tuning or fabricating so if something doesnt fit even with a hammer, im SOL and stuck with something thats useless

from what i see...i should be around 500 rwhp if i only run on 93 pump with stage 2 twins or ST....
but tuning ST is another issue in itself so i dont know if i will be opening a can of worms...
seems like upgraded twins is your best bet then. i want to escape the stock wastegate system for a few reasons (mostly that mine clapped out on track pretty quickly and i expect that they all will) so that's why i am going ST. but for a road car i would have gone the GC's.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #117
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac
Quote:

seems like upgraded twins is your best bet then. i want to escape the stock wastegate system for a few reasons (mostly that mine clapped out on track pretty quickly and i expect that they all will) so that's why i am going ST. but for a road car i would have gone the GC's.
complete wastegate failure on track?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #118
rac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
complete wastegate failure on track?
No just rapid increase in rattle initially. But now they get stuck open for a second or so unpredictability when trying to exit a corner. First time it happened i was lucky to catch the sideways action when they closed! For normal daily driving they are functional and have some noise like everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 01:24 AM   #119
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

If price is a determining factor for you, this RHD single turbo is not for you. There is over 10k of parts in this kit to date. It will fit 135, 1M and 335 because there are no shortcuts. And its made for those who want street-able to stupid power. Of course the final figure is limited by engine, trans and turbo size.

Top mount or bottom mount is not a choice for RHD in any way at this point.

No LHD top mount kit will fit RHD cars. Nor will any bottom mount kit from any LHD country fit. Making life even harder is that there is no well made and engineered kit available for RHD. Hence this one.

If you want value, buy twins of some sort. If you want twins that wont break in a hurry you need NOZ ball bearing turbos from JD75. Game changer with response, power and longevity.

The GCs, actually Zage turbos, are journal bearing and will still suffer from reliability issues despite making some good power. And fitting them to RHD is a bitch as Greg has discovered with his car. How long they last is luck and how far you are pushing them....just like any other journal bearing turbo offer. RBs make power, so do Pure, VTTs and others...but they all are designed to a price.

Last edited by 135i2; 06-08-2017 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 01:28 AM   #120
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ019 View Post
Good things come to who wait!

Is the fabricator making several parts for the kit at once? or will they be mass produced later?
That's a question you will have to direct to JD75 at this stage.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 01:40 AM   #121
rac
Private First Class
Rep

There are no rhd bottom mount kits, this build thread doesn't represent a readily available kit at the time of writing this post so saying bottom mount v top mount is not a choice is a bit of stretch when practically all of us going ST RHD are beating our own path and making compromises that best suit our needs.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:10 AM   #122
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Top mount or bottom mount is not a choice for RHD in any way at this point.

No LHD top mount kit will fit RHD cars. Nor will any bottom mount kit from any LHD country fit. Making life even harder is that there is no well made and engineered kit available for RHD. Hence this one.
Incorrect. The VM/ACF top mount kit does fit RHD cars (excluding downpipe). All you need is to have a decent fabricator make a downpipe for it and your good to go for around $7k AUD.

There's a guy in Perth IIRC running one and I know there's two or three guys running them in the UK and another in South Africa.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 04:14 AM   #123
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Respect to OP.

Took off topic elsewhere.

Last edited by Brule; 06-08-2017 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 04:28 AM   #124
rac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4-335 View Post
Incorrect. The VM/ACF top mount kit does fit RHD cars (excluding downpipe). All you need is to have a decent fabricator make a downpipe for it and your good to go for around $7k AUD.

There's a guy in Perth IIRC running one and I know there's two or three guys running them in the UK and another in South Africa.
Any chance of passing on his details? I'm in Perth. I looked at this option quite a lot and decided the path I wanted to take the downpipe just wasn't possible without planning for it with runner positioning. Of which the available kits used up too much space. I'm intending to custom fab the whole lot, although my original plan was what you described.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 06:01 AM   #125
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Quote:

When you get pulled over and royally f%#ked in the ass by the boys in blue you will wish you had a proper kit, they are going to take one look at that engine bay and send you off for emission testing, good luck passing that.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #126
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

No, you're wrong. Cant find a complete, commercially available, ready to go RHD VM kit for sale anywhere, or any other brand for that matter.

If the VM kit needs fabrication its not a commercially available RHD ST kit. Its adapted and requires plenty of dump pipe fabrication. And 7k AUD on the road with all bits and bobs I think not. Dream on.

Shoot us an image of the dump if you will. If its the UK one I'm thinking of, its not too good with compromises I wouldn't make.

Given the state of play in NSW and several other states, the VM and any other top mount will never go on my car for that reason alone. But your cars, your choice.

Last edited by 135i2; 06-08-2017 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 07:41 AM   #127
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
There are no rhd bottom mount kits, this build thread doesn't represent a readily available kit at the time of writing this post so saying bottom mount v top mount is not a choice is a bit of stretch when practically all of us going ST RHD are beating our own path and making compromises that best suit our needs.

As alluded to above, no stretch just fact. There are no commercially available RHD ST kits right now. This project is the closest to commercial availability (I know about) should JD decide to replicate it for others. You're just stating the bleeding obvious, Sherlock, sheesh. This thread represents my build, my choices and compromises. Make what you like of the reasoning and feel free to start your own learned thread through your build or keep it secret squirrel like most Oz ST builds. I have shared mine at the risk of comment from keyboard experts and haters.

What I do know is this kit, which is on the verge of running and driving, will fit with a simple cut back to a standard exhaust. All of the fabrication, fitment and engineering has been done.

As I keep saying, JD75 will determine if this build will be commercially available and readily available or not. In the mean time, I will enjoy the uncompromising work by our fabricator, regardless of whether JD brings this kit to market or not.

Best of luck with your path.

Last edited by 135i2; 06-08-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #128
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

Shoot us an image of the dump if you will. If its the UK one I'm thinking of, its not too good with compromises I wouldn't make.
This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrDV-54kogo
Not ideal but doesn't look that bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #129
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
This one?

Not ideal but doesn't look that bad.
G'day Nugget.

Seen that and rejected.
Far from acceptable.
Too close to steering shaft and chassis rails.
An internal gated turbo option...no thanks.

Last edited by 135i2; 06-08-2017 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #130
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

RHD top or bottom mount really need an engine mount relocation to provide the acceptable space needed for decent sized dumps and waste-gates.

My project has not been about compromise where it can be avoided, or attempting a low cost build for the masses. The brief has been to build the best we can with the space in the platform we have and with the best parts we can find. People would be foolish to think manifolds (top or bottom), turbos and material options have not been considered, researched and trialled through this project. All parties involved have direct knowledge and involvement with three other top mount single turbo manifolds and builds. These were abandoned for good reason and the experience and effort has been transferred into my build. There has been no blinding rush. Just do what needs to be done, the right way.

We have a great kit and the basis for two other manifold options. These might prove to offer a higher hp figure because we have squeezed in the largest turbo that will fit down below and they could offer different characteristics and top end over the Motiv. One of them is a full custom tubular manifold. Right now I am happy to stick with the Motiv as it should offer some great low end torque and the closest to an OEM stealth look. That's important to me. Other smaller turbos will obviously fit but we have not shoved those on to assess implications with the dump and waste-gate.

If you are a gonna do or wanna do, have talked to a bloke in the pub about his ST build, PM'd a forum member about his ST build and have no first hand experience...please start your own thread and bang on about it elsewhere. I am too old and have no time or room here for you to spread your moot and petty diatribe.

Conversely, we will share with those who are genuinely interested, fact and first hand experience. The car and work are here to see in Sydney for the serious and curious among you. Those involved have plenty of knowledge, experience and insight and are willing to share it. Take it or leave it.

Keep you posted as we plod across the line.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #131
azndevil
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i mt

Quote:

oops i missed your reply sorry, anyways

thanks, i sort of came to the same conclusion after reading the whole build thread again but i just asked for curiosity's sake

at least you guys have fabricators that are capable of such tasks...

Quote:
upgraded inlets/outlets + upgraded twins + stage 2 fuel pump + bits + labor comes out to ~10k AUD so if a RHD ST kit can be had at a similar price it would be an interesting option to go with/wait for

worst case i stick a set of stock twins or live without boost until the kit goes commercial

upgrade inlets/outlets + stock twins + bits + labor is ~6.5k AUD for reference

anyhow...car is mainly used for spirited drives... i will try to get it to a trackday but a 2 hour drive and another 2 hours back + 2-3k AUD in fees is a bit too expensive in my current situation

Last edited by azndevil; 06-08-2017 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #132
missapei
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

sorry for bothering you guys, i been trying to find out my ROM ? what is it? and where can i find it?
i been told It will be ije0s or i8a0s or ikm0s or ina0s?
Appreciate 0