BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Question I want to get a new bumper Question about paint?

Am I asking for trouble putting a new bumper on? I know matching paint isn't easy, while im getting the bumper done i plan to have the hood touched up as well. My cars jet black so not an easy color to work with
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

BMW doesn't even paint the bumpers themselves when they build our cars. A parts supplier clear across Germany makes and paints the bumpers, then ships them (painted) just in time for each car. IF you look closely the paint is slightly off. But no one really notices that.

I think as long as your body shop uses a flexible agent in the paint... and uses the OE color, you should be fine. Any good body shop will know what to do, and do the job right. Make sure they guaranty their work in writing.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks dack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
BMW doesn't even paint the bumpers themselves when they build our cars. A parts supplier clear across Germany makes and paints the bumpers, then ships them (painted) just in time for each car. IF you look closely the paint is slightly off. But no one really notices that.

I think as long as your body shop uses a flexible agent in the paint... and uses the OE color, you should be fine. Any good body shop will know what to do, and do the job right. Make sure they guaranty their work in writing.
It's a good shop for sure, I never knew that about the bumpers!
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
It's a good shop for sure, I never knew that about the bumpers!
Yes, I was kind of surprised to see that too. All of BMW's factories are like that. Even when I was at Audi in Ingolstadt and Neckersulm - even for the R8(when I toured their factory last year)... the bumpers come pre-painted from the parts supplier! lol So the Germans know what they are doing!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Matt- I run body shop, come see me and I can help you out with whatever you need. We just installed a state of the art Blowtherm European down draft spray booth.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sounds good to me

Wish I knew that before I would have let your shop do my m1/mirror kit, but ill def use you
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
Wish I knew that before I would have let your shop do my m1/mirror kit, but ill def use you
No Prob. You can call me at the shop Northern Blvd. Collision (516) 487-8022

Appreciate 0