BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

07-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #45
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

If 1boss thinks Mike overcharged, should have told him face to face. Not agreed to pay up and disappear.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #46
mattryan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
If 1boss thinks Mike overcharged, should have told him face to face. Not agreed to pay up and disappear.
+1 the fact is 1Boss agreed to the price - period.
      07-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #47
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattryan View Post
+1 the fact is 1Boss agreed to the price - period.
Yup. Especially a $35 amount. Just pay the $35 for services, you're not going to get evicted out of your house over it. If it was a grand+, OK, maybe cause a little more drama.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #48
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

dood if you didn't wanna pay then you should have DIY it yourself.

plus its only 35 extra bucks
      07-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #49
12beat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: it's nice

You are way too cheap to be driving a BMW. A word to the wise, sell it and buy a Honda you clown!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #50
drinkcoke3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i + F25 X3 35i FBO

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
dude this is sad man

you saw the text - you saw that it was $205 and he even waived the TAX for you if you paid cash. then you hired him for additional work for $20 and the part for $15 - you should pay that and just appologize, then you can move on and tell people whatever you want.

I am unbias - i have never ordered or met Mike, but I have spoken to him about some of the products he offers. he is certainly an asset to this community and for you to badmouth him for providing you with services - regardless if it is in a burger king parking lot or his own shop - he did right by you and even extended himself so much that you could OWE him the money.

it is not right of you not to pay him. renew your CC on paypal, or drop off cash to him, but dont let this go on any longer.

pathetic.
2013 135i Coupe / LMB on Oyster / 6 Speed / BMWP Front Bumper, Side Skirts, Suspension, Electonic Steering Wheel V2, and CF Rear Spoiler / Jb4 G5 ISO / BMS Intake / ActiveAutowerke Downpipe, Axleback, Intercooler, Strut Bar / BMS CDV Mod / F30 Performance Shift Knob/E-Brake Handle + Bimmian Alcentara Boots / MS8 + JL600/6 + JX500/1 Powering a JL 10w3 in Custom Trunk Box
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #51
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

IRL this would be an angry mob, for sure. Hahaha.

<3 the sense of community here
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #52
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Wow.......pay the God damned $35 and own up to your failure to comprehend his offer.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #53
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

What an ass____.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #54
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12beat View Post
You are way too cheap to be driving a BMW. A word to the wise, sell it and buy a Honda you clown!
+1....Mississauga is too far from Richmond Hill ? Take the 407 and pay the $10 toll (or whatever it is now), oh that's right you cant afford the toll.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #55
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Looks like the deadbeat has run off.
      07-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #56
WhiteTgr135i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Hiding like Bin Laden once did...but you will be hunted down, and you will pay.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #57
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Hahaha, just came across this and have to comment.

AS(S) you made a mistake, we all do. Many times I've been surprised by something like this because we often see things the way we want to. You wanted to see a discount, so you did. You got called on it, so you pay up. If you had a problem with it, you should have stated that at the time. You were still wrong, but people make mistakes, especially when exchanging text messages. So just pay the man..karma is a bitch!

BTW, it's not $35 you owe him.

205+20+15=240 minus the $200 you paid = $40 (sorry this has been bugging me the entire thread.)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #58
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
BTW, it's not $35 you owe him.

205+20+15=240 minus the $200 you paid = $40 (sorry this has been bugging me the entire thread.)
Sorry to necrobump, but this is exactly what I was thinking! After the second page I just scanned the responses to see if anyone caught this. He was actually getting $5 "off" what was quoted...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #59
swcc50
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2CS  [0.00]
another bump of an old thread... any update mike? Think we would all like to know, it 1Boss manned the Fuck up!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #60
Braap
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boss View Post
Hi fellow 1addict members,

I am the customer that Mike referred to. Mike makes it seem as if I had pulled a fast one on him, when in reality, I feel he has totally blown it out of proportion. I hope that you guys would give me a chance to tell my side of the story and take the time to hear me out.

It all started when I purchased a used jb3 off another member and was asking around on where I could get it installed, as even after watching the instructional video, I did not feel comfortable doing it myself knowing that I am not too mechanically inclined and would probably screw something up with the pins. A friend of mine with a 335i mentioned to me that he had gotten his installed around a year ago off Mike for $20 (don't see why he would lie to me about that). I got a hold of Mike's contact, and shot over a few texts to him to try to inquire more information.

We exchanged a few texts:

[May 5, 2012]

Me: Hi, do you install jb3?

Mike: yes i do, what car do you drive?

Me: 135i

Mike: install is $55 and I am in mississauga (50 minute drive from my location without traffic)

Me: I hearsay it was $20?

(I thought, maybe he works out of a shop now to be charging $50?)

Me: $55 is too much, plus gas and time to mississauga. Ill pass, thanks.

(thinking, hmm I shall shop around!)

Mike: no problem, you should think about upgrading it to the jb4 before you install

Me: oh, why is that?

Mike: jb4 is smoother and has all the CAN steering wheel gauges and controls. the upgrade kit is $150, i could do it for you, i am the canadian distributor

Me: if i can purchase it off u, could u possibly help me with the install?

Mike: ya i can upgrade your jb3 and install the jb4. i wont charge you the upgrade fee but would need to charge for install.would be 205.00 cash, no tax if paying cash

(so here i was thinking: uhhhh he stated he is not charging me upgrade fee ($150) and would charge for install, so only $55 for upgrade AND install?!? I think he may have probably gotten it the other way around! Charge $150 for upgrade and he'll install it for me if more like it)

Me: ok i shall look into it some more. Thanks for your advice thus far!

A few weeks/month later (I thought oh well, might as well pay a little more and drive a longer drive to him, since he probably has the most experience in doing this task)

[June 18, 2012]

Me: hi mike, am i able to book an appointment with you next tues, june 26? I am looking to upgrade and install my jb3. Let me know, thanks.

Mike: Sure, just text me this weekend and we can figure out a time

Me: Sounds great, keep in touch

[June 24, 2012]

Me: hi mike, are we still good to meet on tuesday? around 12pm?

Mike: can't at 12. Can in the evening.

Me: When are you free? What is your location?

Mike: I am by the Dixie outlet mall. I just have to check what time my hockey game is.

Mike: Game is at 7:30 so earliest I can do is 9:00pm

Me: Hmmm reason I mentioned tues and around 12 is because it is my day off. Would weeknights typically be good for u? I figure you'll be exhausted tues after a full day and hockey

(I'm thinking, hmmm this guy still operates from his shop afterhours eh? Hard working fella!)

Mike: Ya weeknight are good. Tuesday is the worst day as I have hockey.

[June 25, 2012]

Me: Hi mike, sorry for being so sudden, but i was wondering if you were available later today?

Mike: Ya should be. Maybe 8:00pm?

Me: Sure, address please?

Mike: Meet at the Dixie outlet mall burger king parking lot. Text me when there.

(I'm thinking, uhhh $50 for a install at the side of burger king? Hmm i guess so??? He is, afterall, a knowledgable guy about N54)

Me: You are able to install in a parking lot?

Mike: Ya. My neighbour is a douche bag and doesnt like me working on cars so I do all my installs there.

(Hmmmm...)

Me: Ok, would 8:30 be okay? I'm coming from Richmond Hill

(Those who live around would know it is a pain to drive all the way to mississauga, with the possibly of unpredictable traffic)

Mike: That's too late

Me: Ok I'll see you around 8

Me: My apologies mike. I'm on my way almost there (traffic, I actually get there around 8:20ish)

We met up, he helped me upgrade the jb3 to jb4 and has all the parts apart. While everything was out, I remembered that I had DCIs but no couplers kicking around in my trunk. So I thought, oh what the hell, I'll see if I could get Mike to install those too while he is at it. He said he will charge $20 and he has extra couplers laying around for $15. Wow $20? This guy doesn't even operate out of a shop and he's charging these shop rates? I took $200 cash out from the ATM before we met up, so I thought okay, $150 for the upgrade and install, I could spare another $35.

It took Mike half an hour to upgrade and install the jb4, and an additional 7 minutes at max to install the DCI (thinking back, pretty impressive!). After all was said and done, Mike asks for $235. I was caught by surprise. All I had on me was the $200 cash which I just took out from the ATM (I usually only spend via credit card) and gave him the whole $200. He gave me an odd look and with hesitation, resorted to offering me to pay the remaining $35 via paypal.

[June 28]

Me: My paypal visa setup is outdated and I dont want to update it with my current card. (Bad experiences with paypal) Who do you bank with? You could give me the account number and i'll go deposit cash into it?

Mike: you can do interact email transfer to that email you have online banking?

(Paypal has fees, interac has fees, why can't you just let me deposit cash?)

Mike mentioned in his post that he noticed my attitude towards him when he was doing the work for me, and in a way he was right. I felt he was unprofessional - perhaps I was biased and expected too much from reading his posts, seeming all friendly and helpful with info. He seemed he might of been slightly aggravated that he had to wait for me? Found out later he lived literally a block away from there. After a few days, I still felt he was overrated, hence overpriced.

It depends on how you view it. Yes, one could say that I did have Mike provide a service for me, which is true, but it isn't like I didn't pay him for his time and service? $235 is just too much in my opinion, and if I honestly knew that was his actual asking price, I would have definitely done it elsewhere. $200 plus $20 gas there and back at a location of his convenience is a very acceptable amount I am willing to pay, respectfully considering his effort and time invested. I honestly thought the amount was $150+$35 from the way he first described the prices to me when trying to get me to upgrade and install. I'm sure Mike still has our text logs saved on his iphone. The texts I have shared are word for word how it was.

Sorry to say, but until this moment, I still do not fully wrap my head around as to why everyone vouches so much for Mike's "extraordinary" service. Yes, he is very knowledgable and shares a ton of info on here. Or perhaps he is great in ordering and shipping out parts, but after what I've witnessed and experienced for myself, in terms of actual face to face transactions, he isn't really up to all that hype in my opinion. If my local friends mention, Mike@N54tuning does not get a recommendation from me. Sorry.

And to make an individual thread like this? Seriously Mike?

Are you HONESTLY serious bro? "$235 is just too much in my opinion."

YOU agreed to pay this guy fora service that he provided. AND he did it hella fast from what you stated, saving you time and money.

How dare you short him the money, even if it was $1. Man up and settle your debt bro; this shit WILL bite you in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #61
Got_///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

1Boss was your reputation here worth the $35 bucks? A man is true to his word.. If you initially thought mike was unprofessional you should've avoided him in the first place. I have never dealt with mike so there is no way I can be bias. But he is a man trying to earn an honest living. What you are doing is wrong. Please for the love of Christ pay the man. Also if you are not in a stable financial situation you shouldn't have a BMW, much less modding one.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #62
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Don't do service if guy doesn't have cash upfront - problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #63
1addyfan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i Vert ///M-Sport 6 M-T

* Gotta ressurect this thread and add my two cents *

Okay, here's my problem with this whole situation...

Both sides are partially at fault here, but it's obvious that the forum wants to place ALL of the blame on the "customer" in this particular situation... when in reality, the onus is on the Business/Seller to make sure the price is clear from the start. Based on what I've read, I don't believe the agreement was clear and concise -- this was even admitted by the OP (to some degree). It's in the best interest of the Business to make sure that "agreements" are clear to both parties... because without an actual "meeting of the minds", there is no contract (legally speaking).

Also, there's a saying that "The customer is always right"... This is not always true, however, I think a good business knows when to accept responsibility for a misunderstanding... and when to air somebody's dirty laundry like we saw here. For $35, I think it would be much wiser to give the customer a price break, seeing as how you both were somewhat at fault in this situation. The OP, of course, decided otherwise... and now ends up looking just as bad (if not worse) than the customer in my eyes. Is it worth losing future "potential customers" over such a minuscule amount of money? I'd say no.... but I guess that's a personal decision that each business owner must make.

In the end, I understand 1Boss's apprehension about paying the full "requested" price... but I also think he should have returned the OP's phone calls and informed him of his concerns before taking any drastic measures (such as going into hiding). I surely can't put all the blame on one party because of that though. No way.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #64
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I don't understand why this dude keeps mentioning the cost of gas. That's not the vendors fault. You don't get to choose a reputable shop two counties over and then deduct mileage from your bill. What an @$$.
      05-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #65
1addyfan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i Vert ///M-Sport 6 M-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
You don't get to choose a reputable shop two counties over and then deduct mileage from your bill. What an @$$.
lol He's not "deducting" anything for gas... The dispute is over the original price (which wasn't clear), not the gas.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #66
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJx View Post
lol He's not "deducting" anything for gas... The dispute is over the original price (which wasn't clear), not the gas.
Yeah, but part of his reasoning when he was explaining why he thought the asking price was too much was that he had to factor in gas money, which obviously isn't the vendor's problem.