BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

M2 Pricing and Availability

I was at a BMW dealer this past weekend (Chapman BMW of Phoenix) and was told that the M2 is super limited and prices are $10k over sticker. Since when is the M2 pricing mark up on par with the 1M when it launched? I've seen more M2's driving around than I have 1M's and the 1M has been out for five years.

I wonder how this will impact the 1M value when the M2 does settle down.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Yeah, I never see them on the road and I live in Socal. I have only seen two at Cars and Coffee in the last 3 years and I finally saw one on the road 3 weeks ago. I was driving my ZHP so she didn't notice me. It was a white one that turned right from Del Cerro onto College Avenue and turned into San Diego State University. Looks like the driver works there. At first I was excited to meet her but as I got close the car it was going really slow and it was filthy. My first though was cool, the driver is warming it up nicely but as I pulled along side. She was texting the whole time, slowing traffic and not paying attention to the road. I was so turned off by this that I don't really care to meet her even if we are both 1M owners and possibly working in the same place.

; (

These are really rare cars and there will be more M2s but it is still a cool car but crazy to pay 10K over. It was crazy with 1M and it's even more crazy with M2 but people think history will repeat itself and M2s will go up in value.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
These are really rare cars and there will be more M2s but it is still a cool car but crazy to pay 10K over. It was crazy with 1M and it's even more crazy with M2 but people think history will repeat itself and M2s will go up in value.
I agree. It sounds like dealer hype., especially 10 grand over sticker. I remember when the E46 M3 came out the same thing happened. They will make as many M2s as they can sell. It's a great car but will depreciate just like the other M cars. A few years from now they will be common at all HPDE's. The 1M will always be rarely seen and as time goes by many will be left in collectors garages.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Mech View Post
I agree. It sounds like dealer hype., especially 10 grand over sticker. I remember when the E46 M3 came out the same thing happened. They will make as many M2s as they can sell. It's a great car but will depreciate just like the other M cars. A few years from now they will be common at all HPDE's. The 1M will always be rarely seen and as time goes by many will be left in collectors garages.
Greedy bastards. Yes, capitalism FTW and supply/demand, but this type of behavior by dealers can ultimate alienate and cause people (like me) to migrate away from brands. The ridiculous ADMs for GT350Rs, GT4s and now M2s ...
I've been giving the C7 Grand Sport a very, very hard look. Despite their very recent release, they are obtainable for 5-10% MSRP. Which to me, implies a certain (limited) amount of respect for the buyer.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I'd find another dealer.
My former CA is at North Scottsdale. I doubt they pull that same mark-up crap but if you want his name, PM me. He's a good guy. We became friends after I bought the 1M. That's how much I like the dude.

My dealer up here in PDX never marks these cars up new. Now, a couple months ago they did have a couple BSM 1Ms that they wanted (and got) 60k for, but those are used. I got one of the two 1Ms that came through BMW Portland and both of them were sold new at MSRP.

They were going to sell me the first M2 allocation at MSRP, but I transferred to the CSL/GTS list because...well, the 1M has all the imperfections in a car that I like.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:23 AM   #6
Win
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Penske (north Scottsdale) is going thru big renovation at the moment so their temp sales location is shit. Maybe just chapman trying to be dicks while they can.

Seen a bunch already visiting Bay Area/SF
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:34 AM   #7
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

I got a call today from bmw riverside 11k markup.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:44 AM   #8
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Mech View Post
M2 production numbers won't be anywhere near E46 M3 production numbers, when it is all said and done. Yes, there will be more M2's than 1M's. But the M2 will not be as common as other M cars. The 2 series in general is already a much lower volume car than the 3/4 series. You will never see a dealer in the future with double digit M2 inventory, like you see with the M3/M4. BMW is being stingy with M2 allocations and that will continue.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
M2 production numbers won't be anywhere near E46 M3 production numbers, when it is all said and done. Yes, there will be more M2's than 1M's. But the M2 will not be as common as other M cars. The 2 series in general is already a much lower volume car than the 3/4 series. You will never see a dealer in the future with double digit M2 inventory, like you see with the M3/M4. BMW is being stingy with M2 allocations and that will continue.
This. People have been waiting for the M2 since the 1M came out. Lots of hype and not a lot of production capacity for the M2 so they will sell all of them easily. Also, BMW would still rather sell you an m3/4 as the profit margins are much higher.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
This. People have been waiting for the M2 since the 1M came out. Lots of hype and not a lot of production capacity for the M2 so they will sell all of them easily. Also, BMW would still rather sell you an m3/4 as the profit margins are much higher.

I recognized this with the M2 before deliveries began. BMW would much rather sell an M235/240, M3 or M4, all of which Make more profit. The M2 like the 1M has very low profit per sale which is why many dealers have ordered vehicles and added M performance parts to add profit to the sale.

The M2 will likely not be produced in much greater numbers than the 1M on an annual basis but will be made for several years. I expect final numbers in the 5-7000 range for the US compared to the 740 1M

Note that the US 2016 M2 production figure number Is around 750.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #11
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

In the low mileage, used category, you have EAG in there with immediate bids to sellers likely at/above msrp and then asking mid-to-upper $60s on their site. There are apparently people who actually buy these from them.

This reminds me of when the early E39 M5 days (coming up on 17 years ago this Fall!) when huge markups over MSRP were common everywhere. The fanfare didn't let up for years but the markups fell away eventually. In late 2001, the waiting list at my two local dealers to order one was for a production date 8-9 months out still. It took until 2003 (last model year) before the supply caught up with demand, and then there were actually cars in dealer stock that were eventually marked down (i.e. Flow BMW had a 2003 Imola M5 with 20 miles on it in the showroom they were willing to sell for $5k off list as of Feb 2004). 9992 were imported to BMWNA.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #12
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win View Post
Penske (north Scottsdale) is going thru big renovation at the moment so their temp sales location is shit. Maybe just chapman trying to be dicks while they can.

When I break out my paint depth gauge then they really get confused!

Last edited by etr2016; 09-06-2016 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
CSBM52716.50
      08-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

1M values will increase. they are destined for that. however M2 is the nice new shiny thing till the next one. all the while the 1M will be worth more.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2016, 12:36 AM   #14
Win
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016
Quote:

Speaking of dicks, my wife and I test drove an X3 from North Scottsdale and the sales guy was the biggest dick I had ever dealt with from a car sales perspective. I love when I say "I only want a 3.5 in black" and I get "well we have a 2.8 in blue, it's basically the same thing." Then I was told the X1 never came with a 6 cylinder. Dealers sometimes don't know what to do when enthusiasts show up...

Only experience with anyone in sales at north Scottsdale Penske is Mitch - I believe he's their top sales, at least close, senior. Family member leased X1 through him, went as smoothly as possible esp if you know exactly what you want. My colleague at work also had great exp with him, new X3.

I've been servicing my car here for last few years and I'm not the biggest fan with my experience esp compared to other Penske BMW dealerships I've dealt with for service. I think it's partly due to dealing with an SA who isn't a car enthusiast or even close to it.

From fellow BMW owners in the area (there are a lot), almost all have said they weren't enthusiastic with their exp with sales at North Scottsdale...had better exp with Chapman.

Prob can't name a single luxury dealership that doesn't have loser sales people.

The sales at Schumacher Benz next door hand out faux $1 million bills with their contact deets as f'n business cards - talk about douche, but I guess reflective of some of the clientele in the area. Heh
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016
Quote:

Speaking of dicks, my wife and I test drove an X3 from North Scottsdale and the sales guy was the biggest dick I had ever dealt with from a car sales perspective. I love when I say "I only want a 3.5 in black" and I get "well we have a 2.8 in blue, it's basically the same thing." Then I was told the X1 never came with a 6 cylinder. Dealers sometimes don't know what to do when enthusiasts show up...

I love my X1 2.8 and have a friend that regrets getting the the 3.5.l because of the transmission. In the E84 The 2.8 got the 8 speed which I hear is much better
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #16
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
I was at a BMW dealer this past weekend (Chapman BMW of Phoenix) and was told that the M2 is super limited and prices are $10k over sticker. Since when is the M2 pricing mark up on par with the 1M when it launched? I've seen more M2's driving around than I have 1M's and the 1M has been out for five years.

I wonder how this will impact the 1M value when the M2 does settle down.
We are taking orders at MSRP; we have quite a long list at the BMW store where I work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
I'd find another dealer.
My former CA is at North Scottsdale. I doubt they pull that same mark-up crap but if you want his name, PM me. He's a good guy. We became friends after I bought the 1M. That's how much I like the dude.

My dealer up here in PDX never marks these cars up new. Now, a couple months ago they did have a couple BSM 1Ms that they wanted (and got) 60k for, but those are used. I got one of the two 1Ms that came through BMW Portland and both of them were sold new at MSRP.

They were going to sell me the first M2 allocation at MSRP, but I transferred to the CSL/GTS list because...well, the 1M has all the imperfections in a car that I like.
I know that guy; I see him in the mirror all the time.

Quote:

Sounds like we had a disconnect! I remember you well.

I'm very sorry you didn't like the experience I provided. I believe I said that the car would handle the same regardless of engine and I didn't have a demo 3.5 available to drive. We have a fleet of demonstration cars specifically designated for test drives; you told me you weren't at the stage to make a purchase yet as you had to handle your VW diesel cars and getting rid of them before you could move forward. We generally don't drive our new car fleet unless it's going to lead to a sale as we try to keep miles off them for the person who ultimately purchases that vehicle. At that point I went with my instinct (not buying right now, following company procedure.)

After you did like our 2.8 X3; I did go get you a new 3.5 X3 and we drove it (after closing time; I stayed late to help you.)

I know that the X1 came with a 3.5 I sold many of them; I stated it didn't come with a 3.5 in the current body style.

Give me another shot at earning your business?

Quote:
Only experience with anyone in sales at north Scottsdale Penske is Mitch - I believe he's their top sales, at least close, senior. Family member leased X1 through him, went as smoothly as possible esp if you know exactly what you want. My colleague at work also had great exp with him, new X3.

I've been servicing my car here for last few years and I'm not the biggest fan with my experience esp compared to other Penske BMW dealerships I've dealt with for service. I think it's partly due to dealing with an SA who isn't a car enthusiast or even close to it.

From fellow BMW owners in the area (there are a lot), almost all have said they weren't enthusiastic with their exp with sales at North Scottsdale...had better exp with Chapman.

Prob can't name a single luxury dealership that doesn't have loser sales people.

The sales at Schumacher Benz next door hand out faux $1 million bills with their contact deets as f'n business cards - talk about douche, but I guess reflective of some of the clientele in the area. Heh
Mitch has left the car business; I'm happy to connect you with a couple great service advisors at our store though.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #17
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Speaking of car prices, does anyone know of any good dealers willing to deal on an X3 3.5? I'm in Phoenix but willing to ship from another dealer if the price is right. With the car due for redesign somewhat soon I'm not interested in paying anywhere near msrp. Not to mention my wife is quite fond of the RDX (I know I know).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #18
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Quote:
Speaking of car prices, does anyone know of any good dealers willing to deal on an X3 3.5? I'm in Phoenix but willing to ship from another dealer if the price is right. With the car due for redesign somewhat soon I'm not interested in paying anywhere near msrp. Not to mention my wife is quite fond of the RDX (I know I know).
Appreciate 0