BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #155
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
Hey guys! So today was the day. I went to BMW to get the swaybar installed. I took the curvey way there, to see the difference. The removal took the two guys not even 10 mins.

After about 45mins they were done and I got my car back.
I didnt push the car on my way home, but I could tell that the body roll is less.
Lol, why not??? that post was a tease.....

so mean.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #156
marcus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Vert

Well they closed the road cuz of construction, but dont worry, it is supposed to be nice weather tomorrow....top down and pedal to the metal/carpet lol.
      08-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #157
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

damn that construction, why can't they do that in winter so car lovers have the roads empty in the summer to play on :P too bad for snow.....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #158
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Did you get an alignment done after the install?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #159
marcus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Vert

Okay, today I got a chance to push the car on the way to the dealer(my check engine light came on, but nothing serious..the air intake sensor read something wrong cuz all the temps are good).
The front end feels soooo much more stable, most of the body roll is gone(I am pushing the car 60-70mph thru the beautiful backroad corners here in Germany.

No alignment necessary afterwards.

Maybe someone else from Spangdahlem is interested to make a video of the two cars goin around the same corner, to see the difference.
      08-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #160
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

ordered mind yesterday afternoon, should arrive Monday. sadly i don't think i'll be getting it in untill the following week as i have a super busy week ahead..... I'll keep my fingers crossed though!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #161
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Got my sway bar today.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 04:30 AM   #162
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Nice one, mate. I have H&R front and rears on mine (the H&R front is the same thickness as the M3 one) and found it to be a great mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 05:20 AM   #163
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
Nice one, mate. I have H&R front and rears on mine (the H&R front is the same thickness as the M3 one) and found it to be a great mod.
Nice one mate, that helps explain your clean laps and fast times at the skid pan day

Did you change the front and rears at the same time? Is the rear worth it?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 05:57 AM   #164
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Come'on BMW86...install only takes 30mins at home with basic tools. Want to hear your thoughts
      08-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #165
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
Come'on BMW86...install only takes 30mins at home with basic tools. Want to hear your thoughts
Yeh I know mate but I think I'll take it to a workshop as lazy as it sounds. I plan on getting a wheel alignment done at the same time although I'm told it's not necessary. There is a noticeable kink in this bar, I don't think it is too much different than the E92 26.5 as it is the same thickness in the middle. I'm hoping it lives up to all the hype. I got a few other goodies with my shipment as well
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #166
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I am still waiting on mine.
      08-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #167
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Hope you get it soon. I'm yet to install mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #168
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I am still waiting on mine.
I just ordered mine from United on Tuesday but I haven't received shipping confirmation or any update on my order. I was hoping to install it on Monday for my birthday but that doesn't seem likely since I don't think it's on a truck yet...

Where did you order yours from?
      08-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #169
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2178 View Post
I just ordered mine from United on Tuesday but I haven't received shipping confirmation or any update on my order. I was hoping to install it on Monday for my birthday but that doesn't seem likely since I don't think it's on a truck yet...

Where did you order yours from?
I ordered mine from HP Autowerks. It came in last night and I will be doing the install this weekend hopefully.
      08-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #170
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I ordered mine from HP Autowerks. It came in last night and I will be doing the install this weekend hopefully.
Just wanted to follow up - Dan PM'd me back saying it should ship today! I will post my impressions once everything is in...
      08-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #171
Beerchan
Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

I thought I’d chime in with an update on my experience with installed the e93 bar. If you read my previous posts, I enjoyed the decrease in body roll and improved turn in response, but I didn’t feel it was a good stopping point. It is like having four loose screws and you tighten the crap out of two of them, its better, but the job is not complete. Well I tighten my belt, reclaimed my taste for Ramen Noodles and had the BMW Performance Suspension installed as well as the M3 rear subframe bushings. I had them leave on the e93 sway, the one in the Performance Suspension kit wasn’t as thick and it doesn’t have the welded rings like the M3 bars have that keeps the bar from moving side to side. I’m happy to report that all is right with the world now (other than I'm $3600 poorer). The car is far more predictable when you are at speed and more importantly when you hit bumps, etc., during a ‘spirited’ driving. The rear end does not wiggle anymore and the car just seems to glide effortlessly over the road. The ride is ever so slightly harsher. I hate to even use the word harsh, it is just more on the firm/sporty side now, like it always should have been. At low speeds, cruising around town, I don’t think you would even know it was any different from stock. Overall, I am quite happy and I think this would be a good stopping point. Not that I intend to, but I would not be unhappy if I did. Up next will most likely be the M3 front suspension bits, it seems like the next logical step. I’m not unhappy with the steering response, but a tad more negative camber in the front wouldn’t hurt and I’m hoping it will make the steering feel a bit more stiff/weighty at highway speeds. If there is one complaint I have it is that the steering feels a bit too light/overboosted. Any experts want to chime in with a definitive description of what changes you will feel after installing the M3 front control arms/tension rods? I’ve done a lot of searching on the forums and most opinions are positive but brief and mostly lean toward bashing the stock parts quality rather than describing the gains of the new parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #172
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerchan View Post
Up next will most likely be the M3 front suspension bits, it seems like the next logical step. I’m not unhappy with the steering response, but a tad more negative camber in the front wouldn’t hurt. Any experts want to chime in with a definitive description of what changes you will feel after installing the M3 front control arms/tension rods? I’ve done a lot of searching on the forums and most opinions are positive but brief and mostly lean toward bashing the stock parts quality rather than describing the gains of the new parts.
I'd be very curious to hear about this too as i'm very interested in doing it, I'm also wondering if anyone has the parts numbers for all the pieces needed to complete this.....
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #173
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

HP Autowerks and Tischer both have all the parts listed on their sites as a kit, as well as part numbers for each part (in most cases).

I'm not an expert, but I'll chime in with my experience:
The front CA kit reduces bushing deflection, meaning transitions happen quicker and you maintain more of your negative camber in a turn instead of some of it deflecting away in bushing slop. As a bonus, the extra negative camber from the longer lower arms is REALLY needed on these cars to help with the understeer. (Much more is still required!)
I didn't notice much of a change in steering weight, but there's definitely more road feel to the steering now. Steering changes result in a slightly quicker translation to when the car actually turns (no more steering "delay") and I can feel what the front is doing a little better. The only downside is a slight increase in roughness over bumps, and a moderate increase in tire roar.
This is a good and relatively inexpensive modification, although some might have you believe this is the "BEST MOD EVA"; don't get too high expectations. I am still waiting to test it out at the next autocross and see how it performs at 10/10s. It should result in better times by a very small margin (mostly due to the increase in negative camber), but also more consistent times (due to the more precise steering feel, it should make the car easier to judge where I'm placing it), which is important for me. I have a few supplemental suspension modifications, so the effect probably wasn't as large as it would be with an otherwise stock suspension. Also, Direzza Z1s are very good in their road feel; they really let you know what's going on at each corner, so they already helped out in that aspect.
.02 added. :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #174
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

I have my e93 sway bar sitting in the garage right now but it is not going to be installed until I am able to get my car back from the body shop. You just have to love when kids don't pay attention while driving and slam into you while stopped.
      09-02-2010, 04:53 AM   #175
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Dying to know if the M3 bar is worth doing before springs/dampers...lemme know when you guys with stock suspension get sorted.

Sorry to hear about your unplanned trip to the body shop!
      09-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #176
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Dying to know if the M3 bar is worth doing before springs/dampers...lemme know when you guys with stock suspension get sorted.

Sorry to hear about your unplanned trip to the body shop!
I'm planning on doing mine tomorrow. I'm running v2's as well.
Appreciate 0