BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-13-2022, 05:57 AM   #1
SKJSS
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6spd coupe

Shock/strut replacement for occasional HPDE

I'll make the story as brief as possible. I'm a long time road course guy, and run in endurance racing. I recently got remarried and my new wife was interested in what I do. I took her to her first ever track day at a small local road course. She got out of the car and was 100% She's hooked. Hoping that down the road I'll get her into endurance racing with me. She wants to do more HPDE days. For her first day, I left my '11 128i pretty much "as is" since I wasn't expecting her to push hard. Well...so much for that. Car needs tires and brakes anyway and that's easy. It's riding on the original suspension, so it needs love regardless. What would you suggest? The car is, and will remain, 95%+ street driven. Therefore, I don't want to compromise ride quality all that much. I just want something that will get the job done for a track day. We're debating the idea of getting a dedicated HPDE car, but not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole. I'm not all that good with a wrench and don't have time to fix cars if I was more handy.

Oh, I've also got an 18 year old son who wants to follow in my footsteps....LOL.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 09:56 AM   #2
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Easiest is probably a set of Koni Yellows, a set of springs, and a set of fixed camber plates. That should be OEM+ and get you going. The 128 is a great car to learn on!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
SKJSS
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6spd coupe

Yup, it sure is. I've never driven the car "in anger", so I took it out for a session. Given that it was on crap tires, brakes and old suspension I was very impressed with it. It's so easy to drive hard and communicates very well as you approach the limits, great balance. It might spoil my wife and son, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
Gary@simod.net
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT M sport

We sell a single adjustable coilover kit that works well on the street and track and rides good. Not harsh. Message me if you need any info.

The Koni H&R combo is ok just do not expect them to be great on track.

https://contactsuspensionengineering.com
Appreciate 0