BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #1
Blu3RSX
Industrial Designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i. It's blu3 ^_^

Headlights turn off and on by themselves

Okay, so for the past week, and typically in the morning, I'll turn on the car and everything's normal.

However, when I actually start it, the headlights will turn off and on at least 30 times. It'll do this while I'm pulling out of the driveway and eventually return to normal before I turn on the main road to leave my neighborhood.

I checked the battery and indicator on it is green meaning it's still good. There aren't any errors showing up on the dashboard either.

Just curious to know if anyone else has experienced this issue and what I can do to possibly fix it.

E82 N55

TIA
BMS Pedal Tuner
ARM 5" Intercooler

Last edited by Blu3RSX; 06-17-2019 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Blu3RSX
Industrial Designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i. It's blu3 ^_^

I discovered a few clues to this issue I'm having.

The headlight switch is in Auto when this cycle of turning off and on for ten seconds takes place. Also, it's usually dark out (i.e. early morning when leaving for work). I also noticed that if it is daylight but then gets dark out like it starts to get cloudy or I drive into a shaded area (there's lots of canopy roads here in Tallahassee), the lights will turn off and on but for a longer period of time.

However, when I turn the switch to the "ON" position (turning the selector all the way to the right) when the lights are doing this thing they work fine.

So, I'm starting to think the issue is related to a photoelectric sensor maybe.

Any ideas if this sounds like a good lead to chasing down a gremlin in my car?
BMS Pedal Tuner
ARM 5" Intercooler
Appreciate 0