BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2019, 12:26 AM   #1
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Does your car get hot? Symptom of failing water pump?

Ok so i've owned my 2008 E88 135i for about 1000km now, about 1-2 months.

First thing i noticed was how warm it gets in the car.

It's winter in Melbourne Australia now with average outside temps of say 6-13 degrees celsius, and on the lowest temp setting (16.5C) i found the interior temps always felt warm.

It's not exactly hot air blowing out of the vents, but more radiant heat from the engine bay transferring into the cabin.

Is this normal?

Was it a symptom of my water pump dying which finally shat itself today?

I will wait till i get my car back to see if there is any difference after the pump is replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My AC works fine to keep the interior cool but I find I have to set it to a lower temp than I do my house thermostat to be equally comfortable. Like about 5 degrees F. I don't know if it is the sun coming in the windows or possibly BMW fibs on the interior temp like they do on the speedometer? The AC in my e88 is not super powerful, however. It takes a few miles to cool the car off.
      08-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

I find the same issue as JimD. Although full disclosure my car is black so it attracts more heat. It take a bit to cool down to "cold" temps.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
CivicDuty
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Remember, the location of the cabin filter and subsequently the location of the air being drawn into the cabin (if not set to recirculate) is under the hood. This area, while shielded, will get heated by the engine bay and if your A/C is off but you're blowing air through the vents, it will get heated somewhat.

Search the forums for water pump failure and you'll find the typical signs which are usually pretty dramatic. You can also search for coolant bleeding procedure which allows you to run the water pump with the engine off. You'll be able to hear it run which can give you a bit of assurance that it is at least capable of working. You shouldn't need to open the bleed screw just to hear it running. Connect a suitable battery charger to the car so your battery doesn't go flat as you'll have the ignition on for about 15 minutes during the process.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      08-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Maybe the previous owner deleted the pollen filter and installed the Burger Motorsports mini filters ? They delete the factory pollen filter.

You might want to check your pollen filter. Its common for them to clog up with gunk over time.

https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-cowl-filters

The HVAC system on our car is weak. Its something that was addressed in the 2er's.

Also make sure your AC system is fully charged. A lot of car's had leaking evaporators under the glove box. There was also a recall on US cars for the blower fan I believe. Not sure IF that was covered on ROW cars. But it's something you want to have looked at. The blower's resistor pack can over heat the wires and cause a fire.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #6
Warhammer
Old Bastage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Maybe the previous owner deleted the pollen filter and installed the Burger Motorsports mini filters ? They delete the factory pollen filter.

You might want to check your pollen filter. Its common for them to clog up with gunk over time.

https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-cowl-filters

The HVAC system on our car is weak. Its something that was addressed in the 2er's.

Also make sure your AC system is fully charged. A lot of car's had leaking evaporators under the glove box. There was also a recall on US cars for the blower fan I believe. Not sure IF that was covered on ROW cars. But it's something you want to have looked at. The blower's resistor pack can over heat the wires and cause a fire.

Dackel
My 2012 just had a recall done at the dealer for replacement cable harness and blower regulator. It was free under warranty.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      08-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #7
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Ok maybe this is normal then. My car is black and yes that's a good point about the filter being in the engine bay.
I have the standard pollen filter, albeit it's will overdue for a replacement as it was filthy when I checked it recently.

I actually haven't tested the aircon at all yet as it's winter in Australia and cold enough as is.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      08-22-2019, 06:15 AM   #8
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

It's normal.

The water pump is electronic....it doesn't gradually go bad. When it goes bad it will just go kaput immediately.

These cars generate a lot of heat by default...
      08-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I would also add that if you look at water temperature it will not tell you anything useful about your water pump. I have an app on an old tablet that I mainly use to check and reset "check engine" codes. But another feature it has is to create virtual guages of any information that is on your OBDII connector. I set up the tablet to monitor several things when I initially installed the app. One was water temperature. What I noticed is the water temperature was highest at a steady cruise and dropped if I got on the gas. I think what BMW does is deliberately reduce cooling during steady cruising to help gas mileage. When you get on it, cooling is increased so the car doesn't overheat.

So if you start watching the gauge, you would see it go up when you are just cruising along and could think you have a problem. It would only be a problem if you floored it and the temperature continued to rise. The behavior is much different from my previous cars. I think BMW deleted the gauge because they didn't want complaints.
Dackelone10511.00
      08-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrift View Post
Ok maybe this is normal then. My car is black and yes that's a good point about the filter being in the engine bay.
I have the standard pollen filter, albeit it's will overdue for a replacement as it was filthy when I checked it recently.

I actually haven't tested the aircon at all yet as it's winter in Australia and cold enough as is.
I am not a scientist, and i have not stayed in a holdiay inn lately.

Maybe the scientists here can chime in.

If the air from the outside that will come into the car through a cooling system must pass through a filter, and the filter is "filthy", is it safe to assume less air is passing through the filter? Would that mean that the air needed to cool the interior of the car is not making it to the cooling system, which in turn would mean that the interior of the car would not cool?

I should have taken a picture of the cabinn filter in my E36 M3 when I bought the car. A weak fart had more force than what was coming out of the dash. The car had 180K and the guy I bought the car from (who took very good care of the car ) bought it at 80K and didnt know it had a cabin filter.
      08-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #11
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Well, the first question to be answered: Are you involving the air conditioning system in the "cooling" process, or are you simply considering ambient air?
In either case, a dirty filter will reduce air flow, which may affect "cooling" if the "cooling system" being used involves AC. If you are simply going for cooling without use of the AC, you should not expect to get below ambient temperature, regardless of air flow.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue135 View Post
Well, the first question to be answered: Are you involving the air conditioning system in the "cooling" process, or are you simply considering ambient air?
In either case, a dirty filter will reduce air flow, which may affect "cooling" if the "cooling system" being used involves AC. If you are simply going for cooling without use of the AC, you should not expect to get below ambient temperature, regardless of air flow.
I also wondered this. If you turn the fan on, but don't hit the AC button, then If I recall correctly that's the straight passing through the engine bay first, then into the cabin. Yes, this air would be warm. But engines are also warm, no matter of the climate. There's a whole bunch of explosions going on in there.

Appreciate 0